• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Typical Tar Heel, cheer-when-we're-winning frontrunner

I don't think a heart-breaking 15 year run is fair weather. I would go with "Smart enough to notice that sometimes the Fickle Finger of Fate is the one in the middle."

I don't think a heart-breaking 15 year run is fair weather. I would go with "Smart enough to notice that sometimes the Fickle Finger of Fate is the one in the middle."

I'll take all fans right now. Just curious - who did you cheer for during your 15 year off?

I'll take all fans right now. Just curious - who did you cheer for during your 15 year off?

I was a huge Cubs fan (can still name batting order from memory of the 1989 team) from the late 80's (middle school) through college. By the time I got to college,....other things....that weren't baseball...became more interesting. I picked the Cubs back up in law school and in my early years of practice, until the Bartman game. Keep in mind, I was a Deacon fan/Tar Heel-hater in 1993, so I had never had any team win anything, ever. The Bartman episode was a clearly understood message from the Cosmos that sports were not for me.

And then Rashad McCants started taking identity studies classes.

So the Cubs were still my team post-Bartman, but it wasn't a "I know the lineup and schedule from memory" relationship.

I was a huge Cubs fan (can still name batting order from memory of the 1989 team) from the late 80's (middle school) through college. By the time I got to college,....other things....that weren't baseball...became more interesting. I picked the Cubs back up in law school and in my early years of practice, until the Bartman game. Keep in mind, I was a Deacon fan/Tar Heel-hater in 1993, so I had never had any team win anything, ever. The Bartman episode was a clearly understood message from the Cosmos that sports were not for me.

And then Rashad McCants started taking identity studies classes.

So the Cubs were still my team post-Bartman, but it wasn't a "I know the lineup and schedule from memory" relationship.

From my head for 89 - Walton, DSmith, Sandberg, Dawson, Dunston, Gracie, Berryhill, Law - bench of Dascenzo, McClendon, Girardi - Maddux, Sutcliffe, Bilecki, Wild Thing - cant remember the other pitchers right now. Was a good year. I still have a tshirt that has Walton/Sandberg/Gracie/Dawson on it somewhere, i also have a team signed baseball from the 89 team.

Cubs were serious WS contenders in 07/08 - those were some fun teams too.

Until the '08 playoffs. Gawd that Dodgers series blew.

I tease/bitch at jh but it took til last year to get me back into the Cubbies big time, after following them doing great all 2008 season resulted in 0 playoff wins (and sucking thereafter didn't help)

From my head for 89 - Walton, DSmith, Sandberg, Dawson, Dunston, Gracie, Berryhill, Law - bench of Dascenzo, McClendon, Girardi - Maddux, Sutcliffe, Bilecki, Wild Thing - cant remember the other pitchers right now. Was a good year. I still have a tshirt that has Walton/Sandberg/Gracie/Dawson on it somewhere, i also have a team signed baseball from the 89 team.

So many Winston-Salem Spirits. Dig it.

Going to be in Wrigley this time two weeks from now. Seriously thinking about making and mueling a "Shawon-o-Meter" in.

Sidenote: Was watching a Bulls game two weeks ago and one of the Mud Hens got tossed for arguing a called third strike. Out of the dugout waddles this heavyset gentlemen and I said to myself (unfortunately, audibly), "Is that Lloyd McClendon?" I should know better than to assume that every heavyset manager with a better tan than myself (okay, a much better tan than myself) is not Lloyd McClendon.

But this one, in fact, was. So...is it racist if you're correct?

Last edited:
Been playing some Ken Griffey Jr. baseball on N64 recently. Fun game. Cubs lineup is:

Lance Johnson
Mickey Morandini
Mark Grace
Sammy Sosa
Henry Rodriguez
Kevin Orie
Jeff Blauser
Scott Servais
Pitcher (Clark, Mulholland, Traschel, Gonzalez, Tapani)

Rod Beck is the closer. Brings back a ton of memories.

Rod Becks Winnebago was my fantasy team name for a couple of years, also

ClregthUgAAkhry.jpg

Any information on Tommy LaStella? He was optioned to Iowa a week ago and has yet to appear in a game. He is on the Iowa roster but a uniform number hasn't been assigned.

Couple of thoughts. Berryhill was hurt about 2/3 into the season so the Cubs used Joe Girardi and Rick Wrona at catcher the rest of the way. I vividly remember attending a game against the Mets won in the bottom of the 9th on a Rick Wrona suicide squeeze bunt.

Another key player on that team was reliever Les Lancaster. He had a terrific year but was the goat in the playoffs iirc.

Any information on Tommy LaStella? He was optioned to Iowa a week ago and has yet to appear in a game. He is on the Iowa roster but a uniform number hasn't been assigned.

I think he was given a few days off extra to report because he was mad about the demotion - haven't seen anything recently

I think he was given a few days off extra to report because he was mad about the demotion - haven't seen anything recently

Thanks. I've read the posts about the '89 team with mixed feelings. I think I spent most of that season aggravated about the trade that brought Mitch Williams to the Cubs. Completely lopsided. Palmeiro and Moyer were the cost. That deal was as bad as Broglio for Brock. It's what makes the Cubs the Cubs and the reason why I'm always reluctant to trade top young talent.

Thanks. I've read the posts about the '89 team with mixed feelings. I think I spent most of that season aggravated about the trade that brought Mitch Williams to the Cubs. Completely lopsided. Palmeiro and Moyer were the cost. That deal was as bad as Broglio for Brock. It's what makes the Cubs the Cubs and the reason why I'm always reluctant to trade top young talent.

Raffy was banging ryno's wife, he had to go - it was one or the other and we werent getting rid of our team leader and former mvp.

I heard/read the culprit was Dave Martinez who was traded to the Expo's mid season 1988. I guess it doesn't have to be an either/or situation. Makes a person wonder. Didn't Sandberg 'retire' in 1995 due to similar problems?

edit. For some reason the old Beatles tune "Can't Buy Me Love'. popped into my head. Avoid old age.

Last edited:
I heard/read the culprit was Dave Martinez who was traded to the Expo's mid season 1988. I guess it doesn't have to be an either/or situation. Makes a person wonder. Didn't Sandberg 'retire' in 1995 due to similar problems?

edit. For some reason the old Beatles tune "Can't Buy Me Love'. popped into my head. Avoid old age.

That's been thrown out there too with dave - but raffy is almost a certainty, I think he was already divorced when he retired the first time.

Good Jake today - nice win

Hendricks with another outstanding start to lead the Cubs to a sweep of Oakland. Soler apparently found his timing at the plate, hitting two home runs and producing 6 of the 14 runs scored in the series. Ten games at Wrigley starting Tuesday.

Unfair the little-ol-A's had to face Lester, Arrieta and Cyle.

St. Louis meets the same fate next weekend. Let's kill 'em off so we don't have to deal with their BS in the playoffs

Back