• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Any news on Grimm? I thought he would return after the Matusz start. He has had his difficulties but has not allowed a run in his last ten appearances.

Smith has good career numbers and experience. Having a tough year but hasn't allowed a run in his last eight appearances. The submarine/ sidewinder delivery is different.

He had options, he worked an inning in Iowa last night, struck out the side - he will be back, but he can hold down in AAA in case of injury/ineffectiveness.

Joe Smith is a ROOGY type dude - not sure that's a great role for this team with Maddon needing lots of flexibility and overusing the pen, but we'll see, he didn't cost much.

JHey has hits in 7 of his last 8 games and bumped his average up to a cool .233 - here's to hoping he figured something out - that July slash line of .217/.291/.326 is rough.

JHey has hits in 7 of his last 8 games and bumped his average up to a cool .233 - here's to hoping he figured something out - that July slash line of .217/.291/.326 is rough.

Hopefully he keeps it up. They showed a stat during the Sunday Mariners game that he had either the second or third worst slugging percentage in the NL...

Fowler with a triple and two singles scores two runs and drives in the third run in a 3-2 Cub victory. Hammel is solid with six scoreless innings to get his eleventh victory, a career high. Defensive gems by Coghlan and Baez. Solid win combined with a Cardinal loss and the Cubs stretch their lead to nine games.

Baez makes defensive plays that leave me shaking my head in amazement.

Nail biter the last three innings - Rondon always makes it interesting, the pickoff was probably a bad call, but it stood. The call on Contreras at 2nd was very close too.

I don't know if I have ever seen it before, but there are so many unorthodox slides now that people are using to avoid tags - its probably been around forever and I just didn't notice because of the lack of a manager challenge, but there are a ton of close plays that were taken for granted in the past that are shockingly close.

Really good to see Hammel pitching well the second half, after the last couple of years and his late season fade, he has been crushing it his last few starts.

Looking like it might have been good that the Yanks took Torres instead of Jimenez. Eloy continues to mash A ball as a 19 year old - .347/.384/.550.

Not even on pace to win 100 games. Sad.

ct-steve-bartman-20151010

So that was a weird one. No idea why there was a Zobrist sac bunt in there with 2 strikes, but somehow, someway, a win.

Though I slightly worry this week may go a ways to giving us the Mets or StL in the playoffs

That was sweet. Gifts are always appreciated. It's been awhile since I've watched an opposing closer implode and Ramos showed how it's done. Szczur's patience surprised me. He must have guessed he would see a first pitch slider because the book on him is to swing on a first pitch fastball. Kept the bat on his shoulder, took the walk and loaded the bases. Then advancing to second on the sac fly just kept the pressure on and eliminated the DP. Ramos did the rest despite a gift K of Bryant. The Cubs got their share of calls in this series and the result was three wins.

So far, so good with Hammel. He went on the bereavement list and was replaced by Grimm who contributed a scoreless ninth inning to gain his first win of the season. Agree with Torres rather than Jimenez.

That was sweet. Gifts are always appreciated. It's been awhile since I've watched an opposing closer implode and Ramos showed how it's done. Szczur's patience surprised me. He must have guessed he would see a first pitch slider because the book on him is to swing on a first pitch fastball. Kept the bat on his shoulder, took the walk and loaded the bases. Then advancing to second on the sac fly just kept the pressure on and eliminated the DP. Ramos did the rest despite a gift K of Bryant. The Cubs got their share of calls in this series and the result was three wins.

So far, so good with Hammel. He went on the bereavement list and was replaced by Grimm who contributed a scoreless ninth inning to gain his first win of the season. Agree with Torres rather than Jimenez.

Aside from Sunday night when Cishek did against us haha.

These guys are fun to watch. I was a big fan of the Cubs from 1988 on, but the Bartman gut punch seemed like the Gods were trying to tell me something. I have climbed back on the band wagon; headed to the Friendly Confines two weeks from today to take in my first game in the bleachers (fourth trip to Wrigley). Pretty pumped.

Back