• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

James Shields and his junkball changeups completely fucked with us last night - they had a stat, Bryant is batting .060 on changeups this year. Expect that to be exploited now.

The Chapman deal was finalized without a signed extension. I'm surprised but glad they made the deal. Chapman has no peer as a power closer. The chance of signing him improve once he's in the clubhouse.

Not sure I agree with this. He is good, even great, but he certainly has peers. They might not throw 105, but then that is a category of one. There are a lot of other dominant career power relievers in the big leagues.

2016 Chicago Cubs Thread: 59-39

Freaking pitcher gets his first ever hit and it lands in the bleachers.

Are we going to get swept at home by the freaking White Hose?

2016 Chicago Cubs Thread: 59-39

Javy!

Just sat on that 3-2 break ball and crushed it to left.

3-1 Northside

The city series ends in a tie as the Cubs defeat the White Sox 3-1. Lackey picks up win number eight with six innings of one run baseball. He probably wanted to continue pitching but Maddon wanted to see Strop, Rondon and Chapman. They delivered three innings of one hit, five strikeout, shutout baseball. The Cubs were able to scratch together a couple of runs against Sale and added an insurance run in the eighth. The Seattle Mariners will be in Wrigley for three to close out July. Cubs need to sweep to close out the month with a .500 record.

Need to win the next two series against decent teams to maintain this lead over the Cardinals.

TLS is not happy about it.
That's understandable. He has hit .295 for the season, .306 since June 1 and .545 in the last seven games. He has to wonder what more can he do given the opportunities he has been given. Soler will present the same problem when he is ready to return. Who leaves?

Finally. Heyward with a two run HR, his first four bagger since June 11. Heyward and Zobrist have been in extended slumps. Their bats are essential.

It has to be pretty demoralizing sitting through a rain delay when you're down 11 - 0.

Let the rumor mongering begin, Ian Happ and Brian Matusz were both healthy scratches tonight.

Gotta say, I would love Josh Reddick, but no chance I give up Happ for him - hope thats not the case.

Soler, Happ, Matusz for Reddick/Gray.... we would still be decently short there, probably, but damn - that would shore up the spot in case Jake leaves. Gray arb eligible through 2020.

DaDeacs, you have the trade crazies. I hope you survive to August.

Apparently the Cub front office is wondering how to handle personnel. LaStella had an option remaining so he was the odd man out. Szczur is out of options. Soler is physically ready to return but will remain in Iowa to improve his timing at the plate. With the present 25 man roster Soler, LaStella, Cahill and Matusz are awaiting their opportunity in the minors.

Cubs win 12-1.

Back