• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 Maui Invitational: Hudson & Watson to Play in 3rd Place Game v. UCLA 7:30 ESPN2

Bourrc9

Reaction score
2015 Maui Invitational: Hudson & Watson to Play in 3rd Place Game v. UCLA 7:30 ESPN2

Does anybody know when the bracket usually gets released and how teams are placed? Wake looks to be about the 5th best team (arguably) in the field but looking at past year's, Chaminade usually avoids the top few teams in the first round? Is the just by coincidence or is there some criteria for placing the teams that I don't know about. Kansas should be a preseason top 5 and Indiana top 10, so really hoping we can avoid these teams in the first round. Vandy and UCLA should be tournament teams but I like our chances against them and think we would be favored against Chaminade, St Johns, and UNLV.

Last edited:
St. John's made the tourney last year and UNLV has a really good class coming in, including a top 10 recruit and a top 50 recruit. We'll likely be slotted as the 2nd worst team (Chaminade worst of course).

Johnnies should be pretty good, even with the coaching change.

St. John's made the tourney last year and UNLV has a really good class coming in, including a top 10 recruit and a top 50 recruit. We'll likely be slotted as the 2nd worst team (Chaminade worst of course).

St. John's is losing half of their team (who weren't all that impressive to begin with. They were only a 9 seed in the Tournament), bring back two contributers (including one that seems to be offensively challenged, but he does appear to be a very good defensive player)

note: i'm not arguing that we won't be slotted as the second worst team, but I just don't think St. John's is going to be that good next year.

St. John's is losing half of their team (who weren't all that impressive to begin with. They were only a 9 seed in the Tournament), bring back two contributers (including one that seems to be offensively challenged, but he does appear to be a very good defensive player)

note: i'm not arguing that we won't be slotted as the second worst team, but I just don't think St. John's is going to be that good next year.
Agreed. Don't think they'll be very good either. Still think they'll be slotted ahead of us based on recent performance.

I am assuming our first round matchup will be Kansas so that ESPN can guarantee the Manning/KU storyline.

Johnnies should be pretty good, even with the coaching change.

What's your reasoning for this? Assuming Rysheed Jordan is academically ineligible (which all signs seem to point to, especially for the first semester when we would play them), then they lose 90% of their scoring from last year. Their recruiting class is very underwhelming. Their freshman from last year who will see a significant increase in minutes were all lightly recruited out of high school so you'd be reaching if you expect these guys to be the difference. Other than Durand Johnson, are there any other transfers that I don't know about? BC on paper this team is absolutely awful.

Should make for a close game. Maybe Self will allow us a backdoor cover.

Watch a lot of the Jayhawks. Think we match up pretty similar with them to be honest - lot of athletes and streaky shooters. CMM would give them fits - faster & stronger than their guards. Not scared of Perry Ellis - he's a DT-light with a mediocre 3 point shot. Not sure about what they have incoming though.

I don't either, but I do think they'll match up pretty well against us. Unless someone turns into a lights out perimeter shooter over the summer, Obepka is going to make Devin and CMM's life difficult. And guys like Rysheed Jordan tend to look like hall of famers against us.

Watch a lot of the Jayhawks. Think we match up pretty similar with them to be honest - lot of athletes and streaky shooters. CMM would give them fits - faster & stronger than their guards. Not scared of Perry Ellis - he's a DT-light with a mediocre 3 point shot. Not sure about what they have incoming though.

Perry Ellis is a mediocre finisher, but he shot 39.1% from 3FG (would be best on our team).

KU has two elite power forwards (Diallo and Bragg) coming in, but I'm much more worried about some of the other guys like Selden, Mason, Greene, Mykhailiuk, and Graham turning into players.

I really can't believe Perry Ellis still has eligibility. Feels like that dude's been at Kansas forever.

Perry Ellis is a mediocre finisher, but he shot 39.1% from 3FG (would be best on our team).

KU has two elite power forwards (Diallo and Bragg) coming in, but I'm much more worried about some of the other guys like Selden, Mason, Greene, Mykhailiuk, and Graham turning into players.

Ellis only shot the three-ball 46 times. For comparison, CMM shot it 67 times, Leonard 96, Mitch 127, Dinos 135, Hudson 144. He made good decisions when shooting it though.

I'll take your word on the two frosh.

Selden has a lot of potential but that's it right now. All potential means is that you haven't done jack crap yet.

Mason is a slightly better version of Madison, but not better than CMM but had a good 3 point shot. Greene is supposed to be THE shooter, but had a very rough year last year and is a big liability on defense. Graham's only other offer was App State and he was a minimal contributor. The last dude you mentioned averaged 2 points and 1 rebound a game.

Their best asset is sitting on their bench wearing a suit.

Ellis only shot the three-ball 46 times. For comparison, CMM shot it 67 times, Leonard 96, Mitch 127, Dinos 135, Hudson 144. He made good decisions when shooting it though.

I'll take your word on the two frosh.

Selden has a lot of potential but that's it right now. All potential means is that you haven't done jack crap yet.

Mason is a slightly better version of Madison, but not better than CMM but had a good 3 point shot. Greene is supposed to be THE shooter, but had a very rough year last year and is a big liability on defense. Graham's only other offer was App State and he was a minimal contributor. The last dude you mentioned averaged 2 points and 1 rebound a game.

Their best asset is sitting on their bench wearing a suit.

That's why I wrote "I'm much more worried about some of the other guys....turning into players." Almost every guy on that roster came out of high school with better credentials than our guys. It's inevitable that somebody on that roster takes a step forward next year and it's going to be hard to prepare for given how inconsistent those guys were last year.

And I wasn't the one that posted that Perry Ellis had a mediocre three point shot; you did. All I posted was that he shot the ball pretty damn well for a big man. You're right that he only took 46 3FGA.

I will say I never in my life thought I'd see Frank Mason Jr. of Kansas compared with Madison Jones. Crazy world out there

I really can't believe Perry Ellis still has eligibility. Feels like that dude's been at Kansas forever.

I have a feeling that he puts it all together next year, too.

Perry looked really good in 2015 before KU fell apart in March.

Kansas will be really good as always next year with Diallo, Ellis, Selden, Frank Mason, Carlton Bragg, etc.

Looks like a 1 or 2 seed to me

I will say I never in my life thought I'd see Frank Mason Jr. of Kansas compared with Madison Jones. Crazy world out there

Right?

Madison averaged 8.4 points, 4.2 rebounds, 5.4 assists, and 1.9 steals per 40 minutes pace adjusted off of the bench as a junior on a Wake team that finished 13-19 and 12th in the ACC.

Mason averaged 12.6 points, 3.9 rebounds, 3.9 assists, and 1.4 steals per game as a sophomore as the starting point guard for the 27-9 Jayhawks that finished first in the Big 12.

Back