• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 Maui Invitational: Hudson & Watson to Play in 3rd Place Game v. UCLA 7:30 ESPN2

I will say I never in my life thought I'd see Frank Mason Jr. of Kansas compared with Madison Jones. Crazy world out there

Right?

Madison averaged 8.4 points, 4.2 rebounds, 5.4 assists, and 1.9 steals per 40 minutes pace adjusted off of the bench as a junior on a Wake team that finished 13-19 and 12th in the ACC.

Mason averaged 12.6 points, 3.9 rebounds, 3.9 assists, and 1.4 steals per game as a sophomore as the starting point guard for the 27-9 Jayhawks that finished first in the Big 12.

Both are opinions and both I'll respect. I just call it like I see it. Watched 99% of the Wake games last year and over 20 Kansas games. (which I tend to do year in and year out)

PG was one of KU's biggest weaknesses last year. Both are smaller quicker point guards that can get to the rim. Both make poor decisions with the ball. Mason is a better shooter, Madison a better defender.

Last year's Kansas team wouldn't have had a bye in the ACC tournament.

Mason was second team all big 12 last year. Guy is on a completely different level than MJ.

I'm sure everyone was curious but Kansas would have been the fifth best team in the country last year according to KenPom. They're slightly ahead of Louisville for fifth.

Would like to retract some of my previous statements esp. re: Madison.

Saw Kansas play the Canadian national team some last night. Granted - they looked a lot better than they did last season, but some of my comments were silly.

My #sauces tell me Kansas will play Chaminade. No further insight into our opponent doe

My #sauces tell me Kansas will play Chaminade. No further insight into our opponent doe

As an Indiana fan, this would be great news. Playing Chaminade has no upside of any kind. The Jayhawks can have em.

We will open with Indiana. Winner gets either Vandy or St. John's

Yeah, that's kinda how these tournaments work.

Not sure if UNLV or St. John's would've been preferable. Either way, not a friendly draw

I don't either, but I do think they'll match up pretty well against us. Unless someone turns into a lights out perimeter shooter over the summer, Obepka is going to make Devin and CMM's life difficult. And guys like Rysheed Jordan tend to look like hall of famers against us.

Obekpa has left St. John's (again), though they have 8 freshmen coming in, headlined by an Italian PG who picked SJU over Vandy, Gonzaga and UVA. Hard to read how good they will be with so much turnover.

Yeah, the future may be bright at St. John's (debatable), but that is a crazy amount of roster turnover from last season to this season (no Obekpa or Jordan, in addition to those that graduated). Have to assume they'll be mediocre (at best) this season.

Excited to play a decent Indiana squad. We're likely still a year away from making the NCAAs (though I still have hope)... So we might as well play some real teams. Maui should be a great experience. Wish I were going.

Obekpa has left St. John's (again), though they have 8 freshmen coming in, headlined by an Italian PG who picked SJU over Vandy, Gonzaga and UVA. Hard to read how good they will be with so much turnover.

Now that Obepka and Jordan are gone, our perimeter defense and post offense will win this or lose this for us.

Wake plays Indiana & Kansas play host Chaminade in opposite brackets

Tough first round draw obviously, but we should have a good chance to leave here 2-1. Most likely play St. Johns and then UNLV, which are very winnable. Hopefully we can give Indiana a good game and if we somehow pull of the upset, I see us playing Vandy and then Kansas (in the finals) or UCLA (in the third place game).

Since it's never too early to start discussing IU hoops, you can expect IU to play 3 guards, a wing at the 4, and one true big. It is highly likely that Indiana's starting five will be:

Yogi Ferrell
Rob Johnson
James Blackmon
Troy Williams
Thomas Bryant

Three guards that can shoot and drive, an ultra athletic wing at the 4 who can put it on the floor, and a touted freshman big in the post.

Back