• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Baseball

Dearica Hamby was the #6 pick in the WNBA draft.

Other than general ineptitude, anybody have an idea as to why Sellers came in to pitch the 7th and Craig the 8th and 9th?

Hmmm. Sellers pitched the 6th and 7th, Craig the 8th and 9th. They gave up one run in those four innings. Not quite sure what was so inept, but I'm sure you can explain it to us.

Throughout the season Craig has been the setup man and Sellers the closer. Just curious as to if their roles had changed. Inept was used to describe the decision not the pitchers and I'm pretty sure they each gave up a run.

Last edited:
Throughout the season Craig has been the setup man and Sellers the closer. Just curious as to if their roles had changed. Inept was used to describe the decision not the pitchers and I'm pretty sure they each gave up a run.

Don't have a good answer for you, as I was at the spring game instead of baseball today. I planned to do both until they moved the start time up. It's something I would have asked coach Walter about, because it is different, but I surely don't think using you two best relievers in innings 6-9 could possibly be considered inept. With the day off, I'm sure both will still be available Monday.

This topic was discussed on the MLB Network the other day as to the mind sets of each role ( setup man, closer ) I have no problem with them both pitching as both came in well rested. Also am fine with the idea of a potential 6 out save. Sellers has not been as sharp as he once was this season but I assume he is still the closer. Regardless, this team has much bigger problems than the back end of its bullpen. I would be curious to know your opinion on Coach Walter.

So we blew another lead I see. Can't believe it! We never blow leads

People who know way more about college baseball than I do....should we be attempting to manufacture runs the way that our coaching staff insists on doing so?

I've always thought it was dumb as hell to sacrifice an out in pretty much any situation to get a runner to second, especially when we have what seems to be a fair amount of good hitters on the team.

Almost every time we get a runner on first with less than two outs we try to bunt him to second. Seems extremely counterproductive to me.

Does Walter try to do this in every instance? In college baseball, with aluminum bats. What a dumbass.

We had 3 runners picked off 2nd base in the same game? LOL

We will never win in the ACC with the general level of baseball fundamentals we have shown with Walter as our coach.

Sounds like Walter was doing whatever he could to hold that lead and win last night but they still blew it.

Was unaware of this. Unbelievable.
We had 3 runners picked off 2nd base in the same game? LOL

We will never win in the ACC with the general level of baseball fundamentals we have shown with Walter as our coach.

Third base coach is responsible for letting the runner at second know how big of a lead to get and if the defense is trying to pick him off. Walter is the third base coach.

People who know way more about college baseball than I do....should we be attempting to manufacture runs the way that our coaching staff insists on doing so?

I've always thought it was dumb as hell to sacrifice an out in pretty much any situation to get a runner to second, especially when we have what seems to be a fair amount of good hitters on the team.

Almost every time we get a runner on first with less than two outs we try to bunt him to second. Seems extremely counterproductive to me.

Wow. That's Wake Forest sports in a nutshell.

For the tens of people who still care, Deacs lose in 10 3-2. Led 2-0 into the 8th couldn't hold it. Craig intentionally walked 4 times. Why anybody would pitch to him is a mystery. There is no protection in the lineup and nobody that can hit behind him. Just another in the long list of conference games pissed away by Wake. There is not a single player other than Craig with the balls to step up and make a winning play in crunch time.

But Craig struck out in a crucial point near the end and also gave up the tying run while pitching. Like I said earlier this year, hard to depend on him for both hitting and pitching.

This bozo can't even get us to consistently qualifying for the ACC tournament. Zero NCAA tournaments in his 7th year. Get him out of here!

Quote Originally Posted by TAG1615 View Post
Deacsfan27,

Where are you to defend this effort? This team is garbage and has been garbage all season. We got lucky with a few excellent starting pitching performances. Our hitting and anything past two OK starters has been embarrassing. Relief pitching has been abysmal to say the least, our hitting has been beyond embarrassing for scholarship college baseball players. Please come tell some fans that they don't know what they are talking about.

Our success this season was a aberration. We lack the talent to compete in the ACC. The baseball program at wake is just as sad as the basketball program. No future in sight. Miss the days of Greer and the JUCO/ CALI pipeline that used to have us as perennial favorites.
This team is absolutely not garbage, we're top 40 in the RPI of over 200 teams, in what universe is that garbage?

Walter is a heck of a coach and he will have us back to where we want to be soon. Wake fans are absolute masochists about everything. We're comparing ourselves to FSU, Virginia, Clemson, UNC, and State with their scholarship deals as public schools. That's not really realistic. TAG you're being an idiot.

I hate being right about wake sports...Walter is not a good coach, nor has he been a good coach. Wake should have let him go years ago.

Wake can't scratch out a hit and Walter gifts State an insurance run by not playing the infield in.

Back