• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Panthers Thread: MOVING ON

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the Shula hate, it's easy to forget that we are still 6th in the league in total points, and 4th in total yards, despite having played the 2 best defenses in the league and being -8 (30th) in turnover margin. I get that not every play call is perfect, but if last year proved anything, it's that you guys are very difficult to please when it comes to offense.

Our defense on every level has been lacking. (LB's only bc I expect them to be the best in the biz)

Last edited:
With all the Shula hate, it's easy to forget that we are still 6th in the league in total points, and 4th in total yards, despite having played the 2 best defenses in the league and being -8 (30th) in turnover margin. I get that not every play call is perfect, but if last year proved anything, it's that you guys are very difficult to please when it comes to offense.

Yeah, but it's so easy to identify the things that are going wrong on offense and realize that there was really no effort to really correct them in the offseason. The OL is subpar and Cam's getting killed, JStew is hurt and the backups are meh, and Cam's still firing high. The SF game and the NO games are the only times the offense got it right when they had too and it was almost too late when they finally got it together last week.

Welcome to the nfl. Every team can say one or two plays can change every season. Last year those went your way, so far not this year

The problem is this team has allowed bad streaks to spiral to an unmanageable level.

Same can be said for good streaks in the other direction, doe

Yeah, but it's so easy to identify the things that are going wrong on offense and realize that there was really no effort to really correct them in the offseason. The OL is subpar and Cam's getting killed, JStew is hurt and the backups are meh, and Cam's still firing high. The SF game and the NO games are the only times the offense got it right when they had too and it was almost too late when they finally got it together last week.

I was referring to the Shula hate. Not GMan's roster. That's a-whole-nother story. I still think we have talent, just a tragic flaw in our secondary. I haven't looked at our metrics, but it certainly feels like our LB's are having to play way more coverage, which leads to less pressure on the QB/help for our DLine. The young DB's are trying, and our LB's are fired up vets, but our D Line is just playing some really uninspired football right now.

Last edited:
Gettleman seems to be the type of dude who has his philosophy and sticks to it no matter what. It had worked up until this season, although arguably the same thing happened from 2013 to 2014 but we just happened to turn it around late in the season to still make the playoffs. I can appreciate never wanting to overextend and overpay guys who aren't going to make a team championship caliber or would require being too frugal in other areas, but if he was ever going to flip his philosophy and pay some dudes and go all in - this seems like it would have been the year. Tag Josh, sign another veteran corner or safety, maybe try to make a splash somewhere else we are weaker like DE or OT and then draft BPAs. Elway went all in last year and got the title. It may fall apart in Denver in a year or two, but no one will fault the GM when you win the whole deal.
My thoughts as well. Would anyone really have been upset if we'd gone all-in for the next year or two to try and win a Super Bowl? Even if that meant a couple of bad contracts because we had to overpay to get talent? I understand making moves with an eye towards the future, but this is (was?) our shot to win it. Go get guys to push you over the top. The only position we went out and actually improved in the offseason was punter.

Our defense on every level has been lacking. (LB's only bc I expect them to be the best in the biz)

+1. Offense has had issues but it's the least of our problems.

Shula is like a garbage time QB, were only putting up yards when playing from behind

He's painfully conservative when we need momentum this year

I haven't looked at the analytics, but I bet we're playing "catch-up" a hell of a lot better because we aren't getting blitzed. Cam and the O-line have been dog shit against blitzes this year. Has Cam had a 10yd scramble this season?

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Shula is like a garbage time QB, were only putting up yards when playing from behind

He's painfully conservative when we need momentum this year

Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back