• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Indiana Gov. Pence is VP for the Donald

Well the problem with that is the GOP base wants to be "undereducated, regional, and way too homogeneous" and they'll be skeptical of an RNC chair who tries to bring in fancy analytics and broader policy in an attempt to broaden the base.

Analytics are the enemy of "common sense."

Just because you know what to do doesn't mean you'll do it or even be capable of doing it. A perfect example of know what to do is the GOP's stance on immigration reform after they refuted W's plan. For the past decade the GOP knew they had to attract the Hispanic vote and did the exact opposite.

Even if the GOP did a 180 now, it would take at least 10-20 years for Hispanics to trust them.

Last edited:
Wait the guy responsible for using gay marriage in 2004 to help get W elected is gay?

Hell of a way to avoid commitment. That's an all-time bro move.

Got to post this.

GOP just can't move forward because they are being dragged around by uneducated folks using flip phones and pagers because they are "scared" of the future. They also are angry that things can't go back to the we it used to be.

I could careless what the scared ones think or do, its the angry/crazy ones that worry me. Down here in SC I still see pick ups openly flying rebel flags in their beds and yelling racist things like its cool. Some may be educated and use smartphones but living with angry redneck parents rubs off on them the wrong way.

Those same people using smartphones could be even more dangerous. They could find large numbers of people who think like they do and justify their actions not being out of the norm.

Some times it really sucks living in this part of the South but I guess it could be a lot worse if it was a more rural part.

Analytics are the enemy of "common sense."

The generation gap within the GOP is stunning. Trump, Mitt, and Rove are all basically the same age. Students still used slide rules while Trump was at Penn. Calculators were new while Mitt was at Harvard. Mehlman didn't study business, but he was Obama's classmate at Harvard Law. Cruz is nearly a decade younger than O and Mehlman and all are way more comfortable with analytics than a prior generation of 'Pub businessmen/pols. The latter group still acts like Nate Silver is some kind of voodoo witch doctor.

Ken Mehlman, not Rove, was the brains behind W's 2004 re-election. Similar to David Plouffe relative to Axelrod for Obama. Mehlman was way ahead of the Dems on analytics in 2004. Became RNC Chair in 2005, but stepped down in 2007. Reading between the lines, Mehlman, a smart gay 'Pub, realized the GOP was unwilling to modernize on social issues to broaden the party. Megyn Kelly became famous for exposing Rove's shocking misunderstanding of analytics on Election Night 2012.

Mehlman, Steele, and Reince all have some understanding of the path forward for the GOP, but consumers who still love pay phones and pagers will reject attempts to invest in smart phones now and in the future.

This is one of the things that I don't follow about these parties. Isn't the concept of a political party that it is an organization with a core political philosophy and goverence philosophy that should then go out and convince the people that these philosophies are correct and that people should join them? But what we are talking about here is central members of the political party trying to shift the core philosophy in order to attract new voters that don't adhere to the existing party zeitgeist. That just seems antithetical to what a political party should be. It also Seems like the members of the party that bought into the philosophy of religiously motivated governance and anti taxation, etc. years ago are rejecting the attempted philosophic shifts intended to attract new voters.

This is one of the things that I don't follow about these parties. Isn't the concept of a political party that it is an organization with a core political philosophy and goverence philosophy that should then go out and convince the people that these philosophies are correct and that people should join them? But what we are talking about here is central members of the political party trying to shift the core philosophy in order to attract new voters that don't adhere to the existing party zeitgeist. That just seems antithetical to what a political party should be. It also Seems like the members of the party that bought into the philosophy of religiously motivated governance and anti taxation, etc. years ago are rejecting the attempted philosophic shifts intended to attract new voters.

Part of the disconnect is the GOP used to be the party of corporate America. Now they're far more Main Street than Wall Street. Publicly held corporations have board of directors for a reason. HP's board shitcanned Carly for running it into a ditch with the disastrous Compaq acquisition. HP still hasn't recovered a decade later. Current HP CEO Meg Whitman, Carly's 2010 statewide CA GOP stablemate, has endorsed HRC over Trump.

In theory the GOP is about market forces. Losing the popular vote in 5 of the last 6 presidential elections (soon to be 6 out of 7) is a solid indicator of external market forces. Base is driving the party toward national extinction. Trump sure as hell doesn't believe in data or free markets.

Shifting back to Pence, he's not nearly as bright as Cruz, but both believe hard core social conservative policies are their 2020 tickets. Lots of data points from 2008 onward prove otherwise, but they refuse to acknowledge reality.

The GOP base is speaking in tongues and the establishment wants to speak in data. Doesn't matter which side is right if the party becomes irrelevant in presidential elections.

Party peeps want to win.

If you care about ideological purity you end up like my beloved Libertarian Party hoping to get high single digits in there best year ever.

I just don't get how Cruz and Pence cannot see that the way they think they can win, will not work and has not worked the last 2 times out. Getting even more conservative is a recipe for disaster.

Party peeps want to win.

If you care about ideological purity you end up like my beloved Libertarian Party hoping to get high single digits in there best year ever.

Oh I understand that, but the prevailing force behind party platforms then becomes self preservation of the party and not some set of core beliefs that the party is pursuing. It is a weird system.

profilepic45_1.gif

The rare facepalm by the avatar of a facepalm.

We were traveling in VA on Saturday and got passed by the Trump/Pence bus. Then it apparently followed us back to Winston, Pence is going to be at the convention center Tuesday.

Back