• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How will Trump compare to George W?

W was horrible. I thought at the time that you couldn't get much worse. I'm really tempted to think that Trump will be worse. But at the same time, I'm at least somewhat confident that he won't get us involved in a protracted foreign ground war. So if that's the bar, maybe he'll be better

If he's worse than W he'll be the worst president in my lifetime, cause that guy SUCKED.

But already better than Carter, Johnson & Obama who were all in my lifetime. Clinton I am going to rate on up there because he actually listened in 1994 [something Obama did not do] and when Newt got the Contract with America done, Clinton reached across party aisles and made things happen which helped the country. He had the morals of a goat, but he at least worked to help the country. Bush 43 was a great person but let his Daddy's arch nemesis bring him down with an unneeded extra war in Iraq when we should have stayed in Afghanistan and gotten those terriorists. Both sides were to blame in my view for the bank's failing as it was nothing but greed that led to that in 2008.

W was horrible. I thought at the time that you couldn't get much worse. I'm really tempted to think that Trump will be worse. But at the same time, I'm at least somewhat confident that he won't get us involved in a protracted foreign ground war. So if that's the bar, maybe he'll be better

idk, Trump dodged the draft for Vietnam but talks a big game. i would not be surprised if we get into a few skirmishes over the next four years, if he gets Putin's OK.

idk, Trump dodged the draft for Vietnam but talks a big game. i would not be surprised if we get into a few skirmishes over the next four years, if he gets Putin's OK.
Yes, bigly expanding the military and promising to wipe Islamic terrorism off the planet is not a great start if you are anti-war.

Yes, bigly expanding the military and promising to wipe Islamic terrorism off the planet is not a great start if you are anti-war.

Some #olds in my gym the other day were rooting pretty hard for completely carpet bombing North Korea.

W destabilized the word via an immoral war in Iraq. Trump's crazy policies on NATO, Israel and Russia will do the same and possibly worse.

Honestly W seems like he tried to do the right thing even if what he thought was right was absolutely awful, sort of my do you believe the bullshit you say or not question. Trump is going to do absolutely awful shit and know he is doing it.

Honestly W seems like he tried to do the right thing even if what he thought was right was absolutely awful, sort of my do you believe the bullshit you say or not question. Trump is going to do absolutely awful shit and know he is doing it.

I think this is an apt comparison. I think W is a fundamentally good person. Donald Trump is a piece of shit.

I think think they are fundamentaly different people with different strengths and flaws. Historically, President Trump's best case scenario is 21st Century Teddy Roosevelt. Worst case is 21st Century Hoover.

Secretary Clinton had the same hawkish, Neocon aggressiveness on Foreign policy as Bush, but it would be toward proxy wars against Russia rather than Islamic terror.

I think think they are fundamentaly different people with different strengths and flaws. Historically, President Trump's best case scenario is 21st Century Teddy Roosevelt. Worst case is 21st Century Hoover.

Secretary Clinton had the same hawkish, Neocon aggressiveness on Foreign policy as Bush, but it would be toward proxy wars against Russia rather than Islamic terror.

Teddy Roosevelt was really good for the environment and NPS. Trump shows zero interest in that direction. I do think those are the best comparisons. Going back a little further, I think Andrew Jackson makes some sense.

Trump's hawk cred starting out strong:
"We will reinforce old alliances and form new ones and unite the civilized world against radical Islamic terrorism, which we will eradicate from the face of the Earth."

I feel like I've heard that before. Can anyone else hear boots hitting the ground? Good luck with Syria, Iran, Iraq, Turkey, Georgia, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Libya, Jordan, Afghanistan...

Pretty good re-election campaign for the middle east: Build the Dome

images

Eh, Trump definitely doesn't want a public loss. He's all about image. And if your war strategy isn't working, it's hard to cover that up. I expect him to be pretty cautious in making any foreign military commitments

Eh, Trump definitely doesn't want a public loss. He's all about image. And if your war strategy isn't working, it's hard to cover that up. I expect him to be pretty cautious in making any foreign military commitments

I think you're being very optimistic.

W destabilized the word via an immoral war in Iraq. Trump's crazy policies on NATO, Israel and Russia will do the same and possibly worse.

Obama destabilized the entire free world and has made the U.S. look like a bunch of pusses! Trump will now get the military pumped back up and make us a strong force to be reckoned with again [and feared]

Trump will be best compared to Bill Clinton. Both are non-ideological horn dogs who are willing to change their views if necessary.

Biggest difference is Trump has much better taste in women and did not marry a shrew.

I am expecting a winning presidency but no earth shattering directional changes that you guys are fearing.

Here's hoping you guys climb off the ledges soon and enjoy the prosperity ride.

TR is easily ranked in the top 5, probably 3, presidents ever. Trump will be no where near President TR. TR was an environmentalist, a civil rights champion (especially by the standards of his Era) and an international peace maker. He had a touch of imperialism, but who didn't in 1905. By comparison, Trump was endorsed by David Duke, thinks climate change is a Chinese hoax, and has no clue on diplomacy or international relations. We will all miss W within 6 months.

TR is easily ranked in the top 5, probably 3, presidents ever. Trump will be no where near President TR. TR was an environmentalist, a civil rights champion (especially by the standards of his Era) and an international peace maker. He had a touch of imperialism, but who didn't in 1905. By comparison, Trump was endorsed by David Duke, thinks climate change is a Chinese hoax, and has no clue on diplomacy or international relations. We will all miss W within 6 months.

Agree to disagree. More a general attitude and approach than policy alignment (after all, it's more than a century apart where lots, believe me, lots happened).

More important question for you: Trump's bird lookalike is the Rockhopper Penguin, right?

Teddy Roosevelt was really good for the environment and NPS. Trump shows zero interest in that direction. I do think those are the best comparisons. Going back a little further, I think Andrew Jackson makes some sense.

Agree with you on Andrew Jackson, who you've admitted to have hated. Many people have said you threw a party when Tubs got the nod for the $20. Apparently, running against Jackson was also a nightmare.

Obama destabilized the entire free world and has made the U.S. look like a bunch of pusses! Trump will now get the military pumped back up and make us a strong force to be reckoned with again [and feared]

Who isn't afraid of our military? What is not pumped up about our military?

I disagree. Most Americans are divorced from the war effort. If Trump tells them we are winning, they will believe it. They believe him about much easier to follow domestic issues.

Back