• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sources are saying State will fire Gott at end of year.

Number one delusional fan base in the NCAA. If you already have a coaching gig you are crazy to take this job.

This would be great. And then I could tell my Del Negro college pick up story over and over like a jackass

if you're talking about when Del Negro came to visit his HS buddy at Wake when he was a freshman and played pickup ball in the gym, I was playing in those games. I was AMAZED at how good and athletic he was. Dunked like crazy.

if you're talking about when Del Negro came to visit his HS buddy at Wake when he was a freshman and played pickup ball in the gym, I was playing in those games. I was AMAZED at how good and athletic he was. Dunked like crazy.

yeah, that story. I was the kid that tried to block his dunk ... TWICE. And then he threw the basketball at me for good reason, I undercut him the second time. Huge basketball FAIL. I had no idea he was a scholly hoops player.

yeah, that story. I was the kid that tried to block his dunk ... TWICE. And then he threw the basketball at me for good reason, I undercut him the second time. Huge basketball FAIL. I had no idea he was a scholly hoops player.

I heard about that game. Did he throw an alley oop to himself off the backboard?

The national analysts all seem pretty certain Archie isn't going to State. Hope they are right.

God, I hope so too. After my dream list of Shaka and Marshall, Archie was my next choice at Wake. I will be beyond depressed if State is able to land Marshall or Archie.

I heard about that game. Did he throw an alley oop to himself off the backboard?

Yes. I was the PG going against him and he stole my first bounce pass and went in to dunk. I thought I was a jumper as I could dunk a volleyball on a good day, so I slowed down to goad him into an easy layup and he tomahawked it on me as I went in for the block. I get the ball, dribble it down - and now I am freaking out a bit - I fake one pass and bounce it the other way and he steals that one too. Now, there is no way I am going to let him dunk it on me on back to back plays and I race back to do everything I can to block him at the rim and if not block him at then rim, then tackle him, undercut him, whatever it takes. He tomahawks it on me again, grabs the ball and throws it at my face. In that tiny moment I realized I was half the athlete I thought I was. There was no retaliation because I deserved more than just a tossed basketball at my head. I grab the ball, a teammate comes back to thankfully take it away from me and says, "hey jackass, look at his fucking shoes." It took me 4 or 5 more possessions to figure out he was wearing NC State shoes and I believe during that time he did throw an alley oop to himself (with someone else guarding him thankfully).

There you put a gun to my head and made me tell it.

I think Del Negro averaged like 1 pt a game his frosh year so I was seriously relieved when he developed into an NBA talent. It made be feel slightly better. Because otherwise it was going to be some schmo who couldn't beat out Chris Corchiani for PT tomahawk dunked on me on consecutive plays (which is still true, but at least he became a stud I can say to myself).

So I guess I can say that without Vinny Del Negro I might never have started playing Ultimate Frisbee!

Last edited:
Why did he throw the ball at your face when you went up to block it and he dunked it on you? Or did you intentionally try to cut under him?

ETA: Never mind, read back to your last post.

That's a great story.

Yes. I was the PG going against him and he stole my first bounce pass and went in to dunk. I thought I was a jumper as I could dunk a volleyball on a good day, so I slowed down to goad him into an easy layup and he tomahawked it on me as I went in for the block. I get the ball, dribble it down - and now I am freaking out a bit - I fake one pass and bounce it the other way and he steals that one too. Now, there is no way I am going to let him dunk it on me on back to back plays and I race back to do everything I can to block him at the rim and if not block him at then rim, then tackle him, undercut him, whatever it takes. He tomahawks it on me again, grabs the ball and throws it at my face. In that tiny moment I realized I was half the athlete I thought I was. There was no retaliation because I deserved more than just a tossed basketball at my head. I grab the ball, a teammate comes back to thankfully take it away from me and says, "hey jackass, look at his fucking shoes." It took me 4 or 5 more possessions to figure out he was wearing NC State shoes and I believe during that time he did throw an alley oop to himself (with someone else guarding him thankfully).

There you put a gun to my head and made me tell it.

I think Del Negro averaged like 1 pt a game his frosh year so I was seriously relieved when he developed into an NBA talent. It made be feel slightly better. Because otherwise it was going to be some schmo who couldn't beat out Chris Corchiani for PT tomahawk dunked on me on consecutive plays (which is still true, but at least he became a stud I can say to myself).

So I guess I can say that without Vinny Del Negro I might never have started playing Ultimate Frisbee!

Fantastic story. Fantastic.

Gregg Marshall from Wichita State seems to be the automatic choice. He likes NC State but they need to pony up the $$$ as he is making $3 mill right now. He would also love to come into the ACC and show some folks what he can do since he seemed to have been spurned years ago by Clemson & Wake. Next up could be Kevin Keatts at UNC-Wilmington. He came from Louisville and already has the Seahawks at 22-5 this year. If you want a great dark horse candidate, look at John Becker from Vermont. He is one of about 6 coaches ever to start with 6 straight seasons at a school with 20+ wins. He is 24-5 this season & 134-68 overall with the Catamounts!

Gregg Marshall from Wichita State seems to be the automatic choice. He likes NC State but they need to pony up the $$$ as he is making $3 mill right now. He would also love to come into the ACC and show some folks what he can do since he seemed to have been spurned years ago by Clemson & Wake. Next up could be Kevin Keatts at UNC-Wilmington. He came from Louisville and already has the Seahawks at 22-5 this year. If you want a great dark horse candidate, look at John Becker from Vermont. He is one of about 6 coaches ever to start with 6 straight seasons at a school with 20+ wins. He is 24-5 this season & 134-68 overall with the Catamounts!

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/ap/ApSports/201104090068

Maybe time changes some things, but before they hired Gott to replace Lowe they were publicly told no by Sean Miller, Shaka, Mick Cronin, & Greg Marshall.

The last coach to beat Jay Wright in the NCAAs - Mark Gottfried.

It will be hilarious when Archie Miller turns them down because staying at Dayton is a better job.

I think Archie Miller is a great coaching prospect. I think he is signed, sealed, and delivered to State too.

Archie Miller isn't a prospect. He is an established coach who has been to the Elite 8, is under contract through 2023 at over $1 mil per year, and is at a place school where he can make the tournament every year. It isn't a lock that he will leave, and if he does it may not be for State. That place is a shitshow. The talk for years has been that he wants the tOSU job.

"Archie Miller isn't a prospect." :bowrofl::laugh::laugh::rofl::rofl:

In 2&2's world it's more likely that Archie will wait for Matta to leave O$U rather than take the State job. :rofl::rofl:

It is that funny and that ridiculous. Archie is a State guy and will get offered about 3X his current salary and lots of perks.

Thad Matta is only 49 and not going anywhere.

Each part of what 2&2 said is hilarious and without any merit.

The national analysts all seem pretty certain Archie isn't going to State. Hope they are right.

He should take OSU if it's open. He may not even have to move. State could be a fallback if things don't work out at OSU.

This is just phenomenal.

Last edited:
There's a lot of talk from the national pundits (e.g. Jeff Goodman, Pete Thamel) that Tom Crean might move to NC State or Mizzou before IU has a chance to fire him. On the IU boards, it's difficult to find someone who thinks Crean should be back for year 10.

Jesus Christ, all State needs is creepy Crean. lol, that guy sucks.

Crean is interesting. He has had some real success at IU and Marquette, but the last couple of years have pretty mediocre. I would think State would interest a lot of coaches who can get past the unreasonable expectations given a) its an ACC job with a passionate fan base and b) Ol Roy and K will be retiring in the foreseeable future.

Back