• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sources are saying State will fire Gott at end of year.

I don't understand how Marshall got this reputation as a jerk, egomaniac, and control freak. Is it just because he hasn't gone to a huge program? He's an old golf buddy of mine and I know him pretty well. I got to know him through a mutual friend at Rock Hill CC. He's just not like that. Or for sure myself and our friends have never seen it. We have talked about this before, and we just don't get it. I can't imagine him being a jerk to anyone, although he can be pretty fast-moving (but I wouldn't say abrasive, just a little quick and almost hyper). He's a totally normal dude, and I have never caught any vibe at all from being around him that jives with what guys say on here about him. He's a really good, fun, nice, funny guy.

He doesn't seem to be motivated by money, just from some golf course conversations about coaching and careers. I have heard him talk about the huge pressure you can get from some schools and jobs in terms of their fans and crazy expectations. He is certainly confident in his coaching, but I don't think he likes to deal with all that crap from alumni. He is sort of his own guy, and he doesn't like dealing with all the crap he doesn't want to deal with. He pretty much wants to recruit, coach, and go home to his family. He wants to make sure his family is set financially, but I don't think he is too worried about searching for the biggest contract he can find. I think he likes being somewhere like he is now where he is comfortable and doesn't have to go to 10 alumni gatherings a week to prove himself.

IMO, the NCSU job would be about the last place he would want to go based on that. Of course, that conversation was a handful of years ago, so maybe things have changed. Just my worthless 2 cents. I haven't talked to him about coaching stuff in years.

Last edited:
Marshall v. the media likely explains whatever his reputation is for not being liked.

Jeff Goodman put out a piece about it a few years back. Said that the major reason he had heard from people in the industry that Marshall didn't have a higher profile job was because he was not very well liked by most people.

Similarly, Marshall has blown off radio interviews where he said he would show up/call in and then just didn't. I've found three separate instances where this has apparently occurred.

Hard to tell if it's just the media getting sour grapes when coaches don't kowtow to their questions/play along with where reporters want to go with questions or if Marshall really isn't a very good dude. Don't know him and have no idea which is more likely.

I don't understand how Marshall got this reputation as a jerk, egomaniac, and control freak. Is it just because he hasn't gone to a huge program? He's an old golf buddy of mine and I know him pretty well. I got to know him through a mutual friend at Rock Hill CC. He's just not like that. Or for sure myself and our friends have never seen it. We have talked about this before, and we just don't get it. I can't imagine him being a jerk to anyone, although he can be pretty fast-moving (but I wouldn't say abrasive, just a little quick and almost hyper). He's a totally normal dude, and I have never caught any vibe at all from being around him that jives with what guys say on here about him. He's a really good, fun, nice, funny guy.

He doesn't seem to be motivated by money, just from some golf course conversations about coaching and careers. I have heard him talk about the huge pressure you can get from some schools and jobs in terms of their fans and crazy expectations. He is certainly confident in his coaching, but I don't think he likes to deal with all that crap from alumni. He is sort of his own guy, and he doesn't like dealing with all the crap he doesn't want to deal with. He pretty much wants to recruit, coach, and go home to his family. He wants to make sure his family is set financially, but I don't think he is too worried about searching for the biggest contract he can find. I think he likes being somewhere like he is now where he is comfortable and doesn't have to go to 10 alumni gatherings a week to prove himself.

IMO, the NCSU job would be about the last place he would want to go based on that. Of course, that conversation was a handful of years ago, so maybe things have changed. Just my worthless 2 cents. I haven't talked to him about coaching stuff in years.

This the golden age of the low profile, talented basketball coach. You can make millions of dollars a year in a small market and have as good a chance of making the dance at Dayton with none of the expectations.

Statefans are salty about the national blowback they got for running off Sendek over a decade ago, and get more indignant about it every time they go back into the job market. They claim the national folks are crazy for expecting more. One really good way to prove the national folks wrong is to actually do more than 5 straight NCAAs.

This the golden age of the low profile, talented basketball coach. You can make millions of dollars a year in a small market and have as good a chance of making the dance at Dayton with none of the expectations.

Statefans are salty about the national blowback they got for running off Sendek over a decade ago, and get more indignant about it every time they go back into the job market. They claim the national folks are crazy for expecting more. One really good way to prove the national folks wrong is to actually do more than 5 straight NCAAs.

Herb went to Arizona State and had a worse winning % there (with James Harden for two of those years) and hasn't done anything since. Maybe the State job made Herb look a little better than he actually was....

Herb went to Arizona State and had a worse winning % there (with James Harden for two of those years) and hasn't done anything since. Maybe the State job made Herb look a little better than he actually was....

Sure. That is possible.

But the national media people are going to look at how the following two coaching searches went, point to the lack of results, and that's probably enough to confirm what they were already thinking (at least in their minds).

What lack of results? Herb and Gott did great even though they also suck and wait what

Ya know, I had someone tell me that Marshall apparently told some people close to him that there were three jobs he would leave Wichita State for if everything went right, and NC. State was one of them.

I was really surprised to hear that, especially considering what the other two jobs supposedly were.

Last edited:
Which were?

UK and Zona. No clue if it's true but that's what Marshall supposedly told people around the time of NCSUs last coaching search. Not sure I believe it but at this point us Pack fans are looking for a glimmer of hope to cling to.

So why didn't he leave for State last time?

That's the thing. A lot of people said it was a mix of Gary Williams as well as some sourness about not getting any interest back in '06 when Marshall reached out to the athletic department after Herb left and apparently Fowler said "thanks, but no thanks" because he was so set on Calipari after Cal agreed to fly down to Raleigh with his entire staff.

A lot of insiders have said Marshall was very close to making the move in 2011. I do not think he would take it this go-round either, but apparently there is interest. Problem is, no one can ever know how sincere his interest is with Marshall's history of interviewing for jobs for raises. Just ask Alabama two years ago.

Last edited:
Based on what you said about alumni events and fan expectations, UK would be a nightmare for him.

But he was as good or better than the two coaches who succeeded him. So either the AD is doing a horrible job of finding a better coach and is wasting millions in buyouts every five years, or Sendek and Gott's high water mark is about as good as it gets for NC State, or there's no way a better coach wants to go to NC State because of the first two points knowing that he'll be fired for proving those things to be correct.

Per ACC Sports Journal on Twitter: "Per Pat Forde of Yahoo! — it is highly unlikely ("a non-starter") that Tom Crean would end up at NC State"

This team's collapse really put NC State in a bad spot, albeit one they chose for themselves: having Debbie Yow conduct a coaching search. You've already got the stigma of running off Sendek, and you add a lameduck A.D. with a tough reputation as the face of your hiring committee = yikes. If this team would have played below average defense (instead of none), Gottfried and Yow could have road off into the sunset together.

Even if she safely lands this plane the cupboard is bare and they'll be lucky to win 4 ACC games next year. And the beat goes on...

That may be true on a personal level (i.e - if you are friends) but even when he was at Winthrop he had a reputation of being an absolute bastard to work with.

This team's collapse really put NC State in a bad spot, albeit one they chose for themselves: having Debbie Yow conduct a coaching search. You've already got the stigma of running off Sendek, and you add a lameduck A.D. with a tough reputation as the face of your hiring committee = yikes. If this team would have played below average defense (instead of none), Gottfried and Yow could have road off into the sunset together.

Even if she safely lands this plane the cupboard is bare and they'll be lucky to win 4 ACC games next year. And the beat goes on...

No matter who comes into NCSU next year it was going to be a rebuilding season. Depending on who all stays the roster doesn't completely lack talent though. I really like what Markell Johnson looks like he will develop into at PG, Abu is a above average ACC big (if he stays which is a ? for me), Kapita looks like a guy who could turn into a good ACC 4 man, Mav Rowan provides offense and is an ACC caliber 3, Torin Dorn was woefully wasted by Gott this year once Mav came back and is talented. And that's not even counting Yurt, who I think will look completely different a year from now with a reset but not sure if he sticks around or goes back to Europe to earn some money. New coach will have to bring in some spring recruits that don't suck and some post grad guys but with the right coach this team won't be just woefully bad and should be decent enough to not submarine whatever the new coach is selling. Will take a few years but the program is in much better shape than some i've seen in the ACC when coaches were let go. May win 4 ACC games but with what other teams could be losing, could win 6-8, who knows.

Also, I thought the fans ran off Sendek, not Debbie? I can't keep all of the narratives together now.

No matter who comes into NCSU next year it was going to be a rebuilding season. Depending on who all stays the roster doesn't completely lack talent though. I really like what Markell Johnson looks like he will develop into at PG, Abu is a above average ACC big (if he stays which is a ? for me), Kapita looks like a guy who could turn into a good ACC 4 man, Mav Rowan provides offense and is an ACC caliber 3, Torin Dorn was woefully wasted by Gott this year once Mav came back and is talented. And that's not even counting Yurt, who I think will look completely different a year from now with a reset but not sure if he sticks around or goes back to Europe to earn some money. New coach will have to bring in some spring recruits that don't suck and some post grad guys but with the right coach this team won't be just woefully bad and should be decent enough to not submarine whatever the new coach is selling. Will take a few years but the program is in much better shape than some i've seen in the ACC when coaches were let go. May win 4 ACC games but with what other teams could be losing, could win 6-8, who knows.

Also, I thought the fans ran off Sendek, not Debbie? I can't keep all of the narratives together now.

cc: Josh Pastner

When the #Gottout movement started (and it spread like a wildfire), I was dubious. Let's just say the collective OGB inner child should be more sensitive than most to the "Let's dump our good coach for a great one! instinct.

But...the more I hear about this change, the more examples you see of positive coaching changes. Tony Bennett #1, but even Larranaga, Pastner, Buzz Williams, and oh hey look-y there, Danny Manning show that not everyone turns into Sidney Lowe and Brad Brownell.

Back