• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sources are saying State will fire Gott at end of year.

Crean is interesting. He has had some real success at IU and Marquette, but the last couple of years have pretty mediocre. I would think State would interest a lot of coaches who can get past the unreasonable expectations given a) its an ACC job with a passionate fan base and b) Ol Roy and K will be retiring in the foreseeable future.

Ol Roy and K are going to be replaced by two guys like Billy Donovan and Brad Stevens, not Wes Miller and John Scheyer. It's not like it is going to get much easier coaching against those two schools.

Ol Roy and K are going to be replaced by two guys like Billy Donovan and Brad Stevens, not Wes Miller and John Scheyer. It's not like it is going to get much easier coaching against those two schools.

Billy or Brad may end up at Duke, but Donaldross said UNC is looking at Wes Miller. :D

Crean is interesting. He has had some real success at IU and Marquette, but the last couple of years have pretty mediocre. I would think State would interest a lot of coaches who can get past the unreasonable expectations given a) its an ACC job with a passionate fan base and b) Ol Roy and K will be retiring in the foreseeable future.

To be fair to Crean, he won the B1G outright just last year and went to the sweet 16, beating Kentucky along the way. But this year has been a disaster. He's got a team that was good enough to beat Kansas and UNC but isn't going to make the tournament.

I can't fathom State hiring a coach directly from America East.

Agreed. First, there is no way State is hiring a coach no one has heard of. They have to try to win the press conference. Secondly, Becker's predecessor (Mike Lonergan) landed at GW. That's about the highest level a UVM coach should expect to jump to.

If they want to go the mid-major route of any kind they don't need to leave the state. Just grab Kevin Keatts from UNC-W. If you really want to take a flier then they could go LeVelle Moton, but he needs a stop in between Central and a big time job.

State definitely has some allure, and I think they can land a decently big name coach, even if he is coming off of a bad stint somewhere (Tom Crean for example).

I think it is really unlikely Crean would take the NCSU job. He is related to Gottfried by marriage, and apparently they are close friends. That's got to mean something, right?

ETA: if nothing else, I doubt Gottfried will have anything nice to tell his buddy w/r/t working for Yow.

Last edited:
I think it is really unlikely Crean would take the NCSU job. He is related to Gottfried by marriage, and apparently they are close friends. That's got to mean something, right?

ETA: if nothing else, I doubt Gottfried will have anything nice to tell his buddy w/r/t working for Yow.

Gott and Yow are personal friends way before he got hired at NCSU. Was probably one of the reasons she turned to him after the mess of the first coaching search.

Personally I hope the search goes as such:

Skip Archie as I don't think he wants to touch the job.
Back up the brinks truck to Marshall, give him top 10-15 coach money with 6-7 years and tell him to come prove he's as good as Roy, K, Pitino. He's an ego maniac and it could work. If he turns you down go after Will Wade and then keatts. If Tom Creen gives you vibes after Marshall turns you down pick up the phone. Can't swing and miss 10 times again and end up with Greenburg.

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/ap/ApSports/201104090068

Maybe time changes some things, but before they hired Gott to replace Lowe they were publicly told no by Sean Miller, Shaka, Mick Cronin, & Greg Marshall.

No clue what all actually happened but Cornin's wife didn't want to leave Cinci at the time (they are now divorced supposedly for whatever that's worth) and Marshall was interested (and still is supposedly) but is such an ego maniac that he was insulted he wasn't the public 1st or 2nd choice supposedly. No clue what happens this time but I would love to get either of those guys.

Gott and Yow are personal friends way before he got hired at NCSU. Was probably one of the reasons she turned to him after the mess of the first coaching search.

Back up the brinks truck to Marshall, give him top 10-15 coach money with 6-7 years and tell him to come prove he's as good as Roy, K, Pitino. He's an ego maniac and it could work. If he turns you down go after Will Wade and then keatts. If Tom Creen gives you vibes after Marshall turns you down pick up the phone. Can't swing and miss 10 times again and end up with Greenburg.

One of my buddies is good friends with Will Wade, and (off the top of his head without asking Wade) said he thinks Wade would look at it as similar to Archie: he already has a better job than State. They sell out every game, have $$, and he can win there. It took Texa$ to get Shaka to leave, the same is probably similar for Wade, and State isn't on that level. Fools like us thought that Shaka was holding out because he was a "unique, small school guy", but the real reason is that VCU is a great job.

When we were talking about Marshall to Wake, articles were posted that he had a package that could pay him about $2.7M. He has that job for life if he wants it. He's probably the #2 bball guy in KS. Why would he give that up to go to the mess that is State? He would always be behind Duke and UNC and probably others in the ACC.

Why take a job for 10-20% more than your current one, that you have for life, if there is a real possibility it's a temporary job and one with a definite ceiling?

Pretty sure he already has top 10-15 coach money.

When we were talking about Marshall to Wake, articles were posted that he had a package that could pay him about $2.7M. He has that job for life if he wants it. He's probably the #2 bball guy in KS. Why would he give that up to go to the mess that is State? He would always be behind Duke and UNC and probably others in the ACC.

Why take a job for 10-20% more than your current one, that you have for life, if there is a real possibility it's a temporary job and one with a definite ceiling?

$4mil a year isn't 10-20% more than 2.7

You'd have to be crazy to take another vcu guy right now

Yeah. Wade could break the cycle but VCU clearly has a good system that hasn't gone with its coaches.

You'd have to be crazy to take another vcu guy right now

1. Archie
2. Tom Crean (this would be a great fit, IMO). I hate obnoxious Statefans with a clean conscience and revel in their pain, but this would be the guy if it were up to me. Proven winner who has a Power 5 track record. He ain't afraid of anyone on his schedule. State would be better next season.
3. Ggreggg Marshall
4. Debbie Yow is AD-Coach

Back