• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2014 Atlanta Braves Thread: HOF SMOLTZIE!

Braves organization as a whole does not respond to small sample sizes. They always give a guy a chance to produce before benching him. It's just part of how they do business.

The loyalty to Dan Uggla is purely because of 1) his salary and 2) the lack of a good replacement option

I personally think Pena is a very good replacement option, but Bravos mgmt LOVE having the bench versatility. Pena was within days of taking the job from Uggla last year until Pena got hurt. If Pena gets the job, I am confident he will keep it.

Justin batting 2nd tonight with Harang 8th and Pena 9th.

Fredi always uses the "same guys that won 96 games" excuse. Well...not really playing like it.

I was sitting here thinking during the 9th that if they could win this, it would be the boost that could turn the skid around.

Oh well.

You know who loses 7 games in a row? Shitty teams.

Very concerned but there's still time to turn it around. Would be nice to come out of the Cards/Brews series 3-3.

Gonzalez indicated Uggla might be back in the lineup on Tuesday. But there is growing reason to wonder how much longer he will regularly be placed in Atlanta's lineup. The Braves currently have the option to replace him with switch-hitter Ramiro Pena and right-handed hitter Tyler Pastornicky.

While some of Atlanta's players have privately suggested that they believe Pastornicky would be a productive replacement for Uggla, there is a chance the Braves could soon promote Tommy La Stella, who has continued to show his offensive talents while hitting .313 with a .372 on-base percentage through 27 games with Triple-A Gwinnett.

But before promoting La Stella to serve as their starting second baseman, the Braves might have to decide if they are willing to eat the approximate $24 million Uggla is owed through the end of the 2015 season.

From http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp...tebook_id=74424510&vkey=notebook_atl&c_id=atl

It has to be asked...will we win another game?

Matt Cain (SF) is on the DL for the 2nd time in his career due to slicing his finger while cutting a ham and cheese sandwich he'd just made into "fancy triangles."

Moving up LaStella before trying out Ramiro for 2 weeks or so is stupid unless this means an outright release of Duggla.

It will be a sad day but even Lassie had to be put down.

Moving up LaStella before trying out Ramiro for 2 weeks or so is stupid unless this means an outright release of Duggla.

It will be a sad day but even Lassie had to be put down.

It's gonna be a sad day?

I just don't see us releasing Duggla and taking that $25 million (or whatever it is) hit. I will continue to hope, but I'm not holding my breath.

I just don't see us releasing Duggla and taking that $25 million (or whatever it is) hit. I will continue to hope, but I'm not holding my breath.

The money is spent anyway. At that money you knew he was going to get a lot of time to turn it around. That was understandable. At this point it is time to cut him, I think. Even without a great alternative it is hard to imagine not being able to replace his offense and a step up defensively seems certain.

I thin la Stella will definitely hit better than uggla, although that's not asking much. His defense is on par with uggla or just a smidge better. I wouldn't be surprise to see him up by the end of the month. He's not the long term fix, but he can be the short term one. I think Perarza is the long term fix & he's playing decently.

I am going to the ballpark tonight - I was there for our last win, so I'm hoping I can help break the streak.

Back