• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 Basketball Coaching Carousel (Bo Ryan to retire in 2016)

I think y'all are generally over-rating the Texas basketball program. They weren't much before Barnes - he made them a consistently very good team - with a few great players and a few great years. They still couldn't consistently fill their arena and I would say most people would rattle off 25-30 other programs before Texas if you asked them to name great basketball schools/programs.
They certainly have plenty of money and great facilities - all of that because of football.

Shaka very well may elevate them even further and make them a great program. I am just a little surprised he would take that job when he has turned down many others.

I think y'all are generally over-rating the Texas basketball program. They weren't much before Barnes - he made them a consistently very good team - with a few great players and a few great years. They still couldn't consistently fill their arena and I would say most people would rattle off 25-30 other programs before Texas if you asked them to name great basketball schools/programs.
They certainly have plenty of money and great facilities - all of that because of football.

Shaka very well may elevate them even further and make them a great program. I am just a little surprised he would take that job when he has turned down many others.

Generally agree; no doubt that football will always be King at Texas. With that said, Texas is like the Florida job. Limitless resources, attractive school, lot of talent in the area, and the ability to attract top-tier talent from other areas. Also, the interest in basketball in the state of Texas has grown with the success of NBA teams in the state. Spurs, Mavs and Rockets have "spurred" more interest in basketball in the state than ever before. Donovan showed that you can have mega success in basketball at a football school; Smart can do the same at Texas.

Always liked Rick Barnes, but pretty apparent that he had lost his edge. Will be surprised if Shaka does not have big time success in the next 5 years at Texas.

FWIW - My understanding from an usually reliable source was that Mrs. Smart was the one who officially killed the deal with Wake, after visiting Winston, and telling her husband she didn't like the area.

In context of coming to Winston to check out the area because of the coaching offer--no, I don't believe it. Could they ever have come to Winston--who knows. Not material to the point brought up wakePhan.

In context of coming to Winston to check out the area because of the coaching offer--no, I don't believe it. Could they ever have come to Winston--who knows. Not material to the point brought up wakePhan.

Uhhh, what?

Was Mike White actually approached for our opening? We know Shaka was targeted, and it sounded like Archie Miller was approached too. After that, anyone have a sense how far down we went before offering DM?

he was. his response was that you only get one shot to coach in the acc and he wanted to get more experience before taking that leap

Shaka had a number of reasons -- wife being one and another was he couldn't bear to leave his kids. RW went all out and it wasn't a match. You can't feel too badly as the guy turned down UCLA and Illinois as well.

Shaka had a number of reasons -- wife being one and another was he couldn't bear to leave his kids. RW went all out and it wasn't a match. You can't feel too badly as the guy turned down UCLA and Illinois as well.

He moved at the next opportunity. Wellman didn't sell the job. Stop defending that clown.

oh, and Texas is still the better job, but Shaka clearly wasn't "committed to the kids" at VCU or whatever bullshit that was about. He just wasn't sold on Wake Forest and our Ath Director.

If the guy doesn't go to UCLA or Illinois, what could you say about Wake that would convince someone it is a better job? The small school sell with good academics is both a positive and negative. I know there is a belief on the boards that you just keep upping the ante by half million increments and suddenly you reach a threshold where everyone will want to come to Wake. Based on the last search, that is a false assertion. You can blame RW for Bzz which is fully justifiable, but given the state of the program post Bzzz landing a Shaka was going to be a massive challenge. I have my issues with the coaching search but it isn't because we didn't land Shaka.

In the end, I think Manning will do as well as we could expect a non-sure-thing-elite-coach to do.

I agree the line about the kids was generally bullshit. I'm just stating the reasons he gave--not whether I believe them.

If the guy doesn't go to UCLA or Illinois, what could you say about Wake that would convince someone it is a better job? The small school sell with good academics is both a positive and negative. I know there is a belief on the boards that you just keep upping the ante by half million increments and suddenly you reach a threshold where everyone will want to come to Wake. Based on the last search, that is a false assertion. You can blame RW for Bzz which is fully justifiable, but given the state of the program post Bzzz landing a Shaka was going to be a massive challenge. I have my issues with the coaching search but it isn't because we didn't land Shaka.

In the end, I think Manning will do as well as we could expect a non-sure-thing-elite-coach to do.

Which was..... Wellman's fault.

He cannot escape from blame in all this. He is squarely the reason we are in this shithole as a program right now. He has grossly mismanaged the university's flagship athletic program for 6 years now. How he is still in the job is fucking beyond me. Absolutely no accountability as far as Premier Wellman is concerned.

And you just tried to give him a break before you back tracked. I'm flabbergasted.

As for you bolded. Wow. Such optimism.

Back