• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2015 Football Spring Practice Thread (Spring Game 4/11/15 at 3:00pm)

Eddie Jackson tore his ACL April 7 and was back starting for the (at the time) #2 team in the country on September 6th.

This is a stupid argument to be having considering we don't even know his injury. That said, the only reason I felt like your post warranted a response is because your tone was of such utter shock that an ACL tear suffered in Feb/March could possibly affect a player's availability in August. Recovery times have shortened but you act like because you can name a single player who recovered exceptionally quick that this somehow establishes a new baseline.

Generalize much. So, no walk-on at WF can ever be a significant contributor to WF football. Got it.

I guess Clawson had his head up his arse when he put Williams on scholarship.

No, my shock was that an ACL injury could lead to a player being out for the season, which is what the initial post implied. (Deac 94 has since, to his credit, walked that back).

Generalize much. So, no walk-on at WF can ever be a significant contributor to WF football. Got it.

Because that's exactly what was said.

Clawson fulfilled a promise the last staff had made.

Again, a lot of what you've said is accurate. You can't point to tackles and say someone is a great football player though. The Rover in ANY 4-2-5 defense should be the most athletically gifted player on the field. In a perfect world, that player is Thomas Brown.

Williams has done a great job of knowing his assignments, being in the right place to make tackles, and not giving up big plays. He won't win us any football games though. He makes it look less worse out there than it really is.

While I say all this, I hope Williams proves me dead wrong and grows 3 more inches, increases his vert by half of what it is, and runs faster than 4.9.

I like winning and walk-ons, in the current ACC, don't beat FSU and Clemson, among others. Hell, it looks like super power Duke barely uses walk-ons as STARTERS.

Our glory days 2006-2008 defense had:

Abbate
Curry
Arnoux
Berry was on the bench in a 4-3.
Dom Midgette (as a senior was our best LB with what 80? 90? tackles), and he could not even see the field in 2006-2008.

That is what we need - athletes.

Nothing against Williams, just get Stick's argument based on the eyeball test.

Watch the tape dude. You also must think Janvion is one of the best players in the conference because of tackle numbers too. I'll go out and say he isn't ACC caliber either. And he's on scholarship.

Love Williams, but the kid is WAY athletically out of his league. He knows his stuff, that's why he plays. He is constantly in position to make a play - but can't. He's too small and too slow. The staff did a great job of masking some of his weaknesses last year.

Not disagreeing, just curious what your reasoning is for your take on Janvion. I've heard this from multiple people close to Wake. Step too slow, out of place on defense? I thought he usually seemed to be in the right place at the right time.

Not disagreeing, just curious what your reasoning is for your take on Janvion. I've heard this from multiple people close to Wake. Step too slow, out of place on defense? I thought he usually seemed to be in the right place at the right time.

His tackling angles need a lot of work (that is correctable though and comes with time).

He's strong, but not physical if that makes sense. It takes a very average sized body to block him. Can't defeat a block either. Way too small to cover an athletic WR or an average ACC TE. He's in the right place most of the time, but a majority of his "tackles" are wrapping up, holding on for dear life, and falling down.

He's a weird player to project - he's either a very small safety, or a very mechanic, slow CB. Ideally, he's a package player, not and every-down one like he's been used. But he's the best of what we got at this point.

If Kemp or Glenn can handle the defense from a mental standpoint, they will be starters.

In other news, I am glad to see the Spring Game is going to be on ESPN3. I don't recall it being broadcast before.

FWIW, Clawson did confirm that Lawrence is leaving in Dan's article on first practice of spring. Dunno if that had ever officially been confirmed or commented on before:

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wf...cle_1fa44d2c-9029-5bc7-aa13-3c0a5f696680.html

Lots of info in that article. Brad Watson expected back this summer. Josh Banks to miss all of spring practice with an injury. Phil Haynes will compete at left tackle. Justin Herron will compete at right tackle.

FWIW, Clawson did confirm that Lawrence is leaving in Dan's article on first practice of spring. Dunno if that had ever officially been confirmed or commented on before:

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wf...cle_1fa44d2c-9029-5bc7-aa13-3c0a5f696680.html

From that article, with Ryan Anderson practicing at center I wouldn't be surprised if he wins that job. He did a post-grad year after high school and then redshirted last year and I like the idea of having a guy 3 years removed from high school manning that spot.

Armstrong at corner is interesting, I could see him potentially being a good nickel corner, but he is so short he would have a tough time with any receiver that had height.

Looking at the roster a large number of players have put on lbs. Therefore our defensive line is not so undersized. Clawson has remade the roster pretty quickly. Year 3 should be the big pay off.

Put together a table that showed the change in weight of our O/D Linemen. I used the weights from last October (via the Wayback machine) and the current weights listed on the website. Not an exact science, but good enough for our purposes.

http://www.bloggersodear.com/2015/3...fseason-offensive-defensive-line-weight-gains

I see that James Ward is still on the roster and still at RB.

Put together a table that showed the change in weight of our O/D Linemen. I used the weights from last October (via the Wayback machine) and the current weights listed on the website. Not an exact science, but good enough for our purposes.

http://www.bloggersodear.com/2015/3...fseason-offensive-defensive-line-weight-gains

Some additional stats to put those numbers into context. The OL median weight stayed at 300. The mean increased from 294 to 297 and the standard deviation dropped quite a bit from 19 to 15. The means the variance in OL weight is dropping considerably, a sign that the OL is getting where the staff wants them to be.

The DL median weight jumped from 255 to 265 similar to the increase in mean from 255 to 267. The standard deviation stayed close going from 23 to 22. The whole line is getting bigger.

I updated my guesstimated two-deep spring depth chart to reflect the info from the WSJ article. Per the article I put Intemann on the depth chart at both RT and RG. One of the backup outside WR positions will likely be Cortez Lewis. I'm still interested to see which position Zack Wary lines up at.

QB: Wolford / Hinton
RB: Wortham / Robinson
X-WR: Jon. Williams / ??
S-WR: Crump / ??
SLOT: ?? / ?? (probably 2 of P.J. Howard, Tyree Harris and Tabari Hines)
TE: Serigne / Pike
LT: Smith / Haynes
LG: Harris / Osterhage
C: Terry / Anderson
RG: Harris / Intemann
RT: Intemann / Herron

DE: Dunn / Ejiofor
NT: Harris / Lewinson
DT: Banks (injured) / Rodney
DE: Shaw? / ??
LB: Chubb / Ja. Williams
LB: Lee / Dawson
ROVER: H. Williams / ??
CB: TBD
CB: TBD (**note: Watson back by the summer**)
S: Janvion / Glenn
S: Brown / Kemp

You realize that JJ Watt walked-on at Wisconsin right? Very easy to assume walk-ons can't play, but once they put on the uniform, productive players see the field regardless of their HS rep. Hunter Williams has been productive for the last two years; he can and has been a productive player on a solid defense.

Watt was on a scholarship at Central Michigan, so it is not like he was some scrub.

Some additional stats to put those numbers into context. The OL median weight stayed at 300. The mean increased from 294 to 297 and the standard deviation dropped quite a bit from 19 to 15. The means the variance in OL weight is dropping considerably, a sign that the OL is getting where the staff wants them to be.

The DL median weight jumped from 255 to 265 similar to the increase in mean from 255 to 267. The standard deviation stayed close going from 23 to 22. The whole line is getting bigger.

This is the first time for me that I've ever read about standard deviations referring to football linemen.
I need to go back and brush up on Quantitative Analysis to figure out what Ph is talkinig about........

(At least some of us on this board know a little about standard deviations. Bet this stuff is never posted at FSU, UNC, etc)

Back