• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 College football thread

I think today all but sealed it for three teams - Alabama, Ohio State, & Clemson, unless Bama & Clemson just get dominated in their respective championship games. #4 is left to Michigan/Washington/Penn State/maybe Wisconsin (highly doubtful).

I think today all but sealed it for three teams - Alabama, Ohio State, & Clemson, unless Bama & Clemson just get dominated in their respective championship games. #4 is left to Michigan/Washington/Penn State/maybe Wisconsin (highly doubtful).

Mostly agree. Although I think Wisconsin is ahead of Michigan. Hard for me to see Michigan making it under any circumstances as a two-loss non-champion. Also I'm not sure that Clemson gets in if they lose the ACCCG.

Clemson won't make it unless they win the ACC championship.

Washington and Wisconsin would pass them for sure with wins.

The really interesting thing will be if both Clemson and Washington lose their championship games. Bama and Ohio State will be in. The winner of Wisconsin/Penn State will probably be in too. But who's the fourth team? Pac-12 champ Colorado would have a good claim, but Michigan has a head-to-head win over them and a better resume.

I'm guessing either Clemson would still get in or they would take the Big XII champ, but you could make the case that Ohio State, the B1G champ, and Michigan should all get in. Doubt the committee would do it though.

The really interesting thing will be if both Clemson and Washington lose their championship games. Bama and Ohio State will be in. The winner of Wisconsin/Penn State will probably be in too. But who's the fourth team? Pac-12 champ Colorado would have a good claim, but Michigan has a head-to-head win over them and a better resume.

I'm guessing either Clemson would still get in or they would take the Big XII champ, but you could make the case that Ohio State, the B1G champ, and Michigan should all get in. Doubt the committee would do it though.

That would be stupid. I really like the idea of conference champs getting priority. Eventually the playoff gets expanded, P5 champs get an automatic bid and a few at large teams sprinkled in. Should have been that way from the get go, but CFB is the most corrupt "amateur" sport on the planet.

Oklahoma passes Clemson with a Big 12 championship. Clemson would need alot of help to get in with a loss to VT.

Oklahoma passes Clemson with a Big 12 championship. Clemson would need alot of help to get in with a loss to VT.

Yeah I tend to agree with this. OU hasn't lost since Sept. 17 (when they lost to Ohio State), and will have run the table in the Big XII

That would be stupid. I really like the idea of conference champs getting priority. Eventually the playoff gets expanded, P5 champs get an automatic bid and a few at large teams sprinkled in. Should have been that way from the get go, but CFB is the most corrupt "amateur" sport on the planet.

I disagree with this. You can't start giving auto-bids unless you have a bigger playoff than eight teams. The current system illustrates that. The best Group of 5 team gets an autobid to the New Years Six bowls and right now it looks like there's a good chance that team won't even be ranked.

I disagree with this. You can't start giving auto-bids unless you have a bigger playoff than eight teams. The current system illustrates that. The best Group of 5 team gets an autobid to the New Years Six bowls and right now it looks like there's a good chance that team won't even be ranked.

Win your conference then try to beat the other teams that win their conferences. To determine the national champion. Seems fair to me. Similar to basically every postseason tournament that didn't emerge from an exhibition game scam of a season end.

As much as I dislike O$U, it's mind-boggling that the "computer" says they played the 20th toughest schedule. They played three teams in the Top 8 and #16. To say there are 19 stronger schedules is ludicrous.

Win your conference then try to beat the other teams that win their conferences. To determine the national champion. Seems fair to me. Similar to basically every postseason tournament that didn't emerge from an exhibition game scam of a season end.

Well it's different from other postseason tournaments in that in those sports there are plenty of at large spots to make sure that all the teams that have legit shots at winning the national championship still get in. If you have an eight-team playoff with three at-large spots, there's a strong possibility that you're going to leave out a really good team in favor of a team that won a bad conference but doesn't belong in the national title discussion (see: Wake Forest, 2006).

As much as I dislike O$U, it's mind-boggling that the "computer" says they played the 20th toughest schedule. They played three teams in the Top 8 and #16. To say there are 19 stronger schedules is ludicrous.

I think it depends on the computer. ESPN has them as the #2 "strength of record" in the country.

Bama (even with an unlikely loss) and Ohio State are in. Clemson and Washington are win-and-in. If one loses... then Big 10 gets a 2nd team. Wisconsin if they win. If Penn state wins, close debate between Penn St and Michigan for last spot.

If Clemson and Washington both lose, I think the spots go to a second Big 10 team (as outlined above) and Oklahoma. If Clemson/Washington/Oklahoma all lose, then maybe Pac 12 champ Colorado or 2 loss Clemson would get looked at. Big 10 won't get 3 teams in a 4 team playoff.

The Big Ten feels like back in the day where they all got highly ranked by playing each other, and where the myth of SEC speed came from as they go on and get destroyed in their bowl games.

I mean Ohio State dominated Oklahoma on the road, Michigan beat Colorado by 18. Wisconsin beat LSU. It's not like they only got highly ranked by playing each other.

Big 10 is the best conference this year by far. That doesn't mean it's the best conference in recent years. The SEC is basically a boring version of the Big XII if you take away Alabama. Big XII is the worst P5 conference this year.It'll bounce back in a couple years.

Well it's different from other postseason tournaments in that in those sports there are plenty of at large spots to make sure that all the teams that have legit shots at winning the national championship still get in. If you have an eight-team playoff with three at-large spots, there's a strong possibility that you're going to leave out a really good team in favor of a team that won a bad conference but doesn't belong in the national title discussion (see: Wake Forest, 2006).

Be the best team in your conference or shut your whore mouth.

Back