• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 College football thread

Proof there is no god.

Couldn't agree more. They do not deserve anything to go their way. The fact that their fans want to praise Joe Paterno even after all the stuff continues to come out about what he knew. You can support the school and not him.

Part of the issue with the technology is that it wouldn't be too hard for the ball but I'm not sure how you do the player.

Is this serious? Michigan is a 2-loss team who won't even play for their conference championship. They're out of the playoff now.

Alabama, Clemson, and Washington control their own destiny. Nightmare scenario for the committee is having to pick between 1-loss OSU and 2-loss, Big 10 champ PSU who also beat OSU.

So the difference in Michigan getting in and Ohio State getting in was a bad spot on 4th down? If the refs spot the ball correctly, and Michigan wins, is Ohio State out?

I think Ohio State is in and Michigan could very well get in if Washington or Clemson lose. Not saying I agree with that, because I put a lot of stock in head-to-head and conference titles, but don't be surprised if there is an upset in the PAC-12 or ACC title game Saturday, Michigan gets in. What would be real interesting is if Washington and Clemson lose, does the winner of Bedlam get in? I assume there's no way the Big 10 title game winner gets in to make 3 Big 10 teams in the playoff?

Michigan isn't getting in. Even if Washington and Clemson lose, the Big 10 CG and Bedlam winners have much better cases based on actually having won their respective conferences.

Michigan isn't getting in. Even if Washington and Clemson lose, the Big 10 CG and Bedlam winners have much better cases based on actually having won their respective conferences.

Don't know, Herbstriet and a couple other guys on ESPN this morning are saying otherwise. Again, I don't think they should get in. Saturday was a quarterfinal game in my opinion and Michigan should be eliminated.

You never know, but I don't see Michigan getting in under any scenario because the Big 10 CG winner should get in ahead of Michigan, and the Big 10 is not getting 3 teams in. Winning the conference championship game is a consideration as is how you are playing at the end of the year.

If Penn State wins, they will have a better overall record than Michigan (11-2 to 10-2), a better conference record than Michigan (9-1 to 7-2), and they will have closed the season having won 9 in a row while Michigan lost 2 of their last 3. Just don't think Michigan's win over Penn State in September trumps all of that. Also, everyone assumes that tOSU is in no matter what, and really hard to justify putting tOSU in the playoff, and keeping Big 10 Champ Penn State out given that they also beat tOSU straight up.

If Wisconsin wins, they will also have a better over record than Michigan (11-2 to 10-2), a better conference record than Michigan (8-2 to 7-2), and they will have closed the season having won 7 in row while Michigan lost 2 of their last 3 (including at Iowa, where Wisconsin won). Again, don't see how Michigan 7 point win over Wisconsin at Michigan back in early October jumps Michigan over the conference champion. If you are going to give credit to Michigan for the OT loss to tOSU, Wisconsin also took tOSU to OT.

Michigan could've lost tOSU, and still got into the playoff, but they couldn't lose to Iowa and tOSU (and play a crappy game against Indiana) and still get in the playoff.

Last edited:
Oklahoma State could be in the mix had the officials not cost them that game against Central Michigan.

Oklahoma State could be in the mix had the officials not cost them that game against Central Michigan.

Yeah, the committee could and probably should consider that if they beat Oklahoma and Washington and Clemson lose.

You never know, but I don't see Michigan getting in under any scenario because the Big 10 CG winner should get in ahead of Michigan, and the Big 10 is not getting 3 teams in. Winning the conference championship game is a consideration as is how you are playing at the end of the year.

If Penn State wins, they will have a better overall record than Michigan (11-2 to 10-2), a better conference record than Michigan (9-1 to 7-2), and they will have closed the season having won 9 in a row while Michigan lost 2 of their last 3. Just don't think Michigan's win over Penn State in September trumps all of that. Also, everyone assumes that tOSU is in no matter what, and really hard to justify putting tOSU in the playoff, and keeping Big 10 Champ Penn State out given that they also beat tOSU straight up.

If Wisconsin wins, they will also have a better over record than Michigan (11-2 to 10-2), a better conference record than Michigan (8-2 to 7-2), and they will have closed the season having won 7 in row while Michigan lost 2 of their last 3 (including at Iowa, where Wisconsin won). Again, don't see how Michigan 7 point win over Wisconsin at Michigan back in early October jumps Michigan over the conference champion. If you are going to give credit to Michigan for the OT loss to tOSU, Wisconsin also took tOSU to OT.

Michigan could've lost tOSU, and still got into the playoff, but they couldn't lose to Iowa and tOSU (and play a crappy game against Indiana) and still get in the playoff.

Good analysis.
I agree

I wish they'd go to the five major conference champions and 3 at-large bids personally. I hate this, "well we know Ohio State lost to Penn State, but it's clear Ohio State is a better team" crap. I mean they say they want to keep the "playoff" small so the regular season retains the importance it's always had, but then they discount head-to-head match-ups when you've got teams that have played each other vying for the spots.

Last edited:
If Michigan gets in over the winner of the championship game, there is zero reason to have a championship game. I think OSU should be in, as should the winner of the B10 championship. Washington should have played a tougher non-conference schedule. Even if they win on Saturday, they will have only 2 wins against current T25 teams. If Wisconsin wins on Saturday, they will have 4 wins over current T25 teams, and Penn State will have 3.

If Michigan gets in over the winner of the championship game, there is zero reason to have a championship game. I think OSU should be in, as should the winner of the B10 championship. Washington should have played a tougher non-conference schedule. Even if they win on Saturday, they will have only 2 wins against current T25 teams. If Wisconsin wins on Saturday, they will have 4 wins over current T25 teams, and Penn State will have 3.

Ohio State was given the game by Michigan. Anyone but those wearing scarlet and gray glasses saw that Michigan was the better team. The week before they may have lost if three win MSU had made the two point conversion or kicked the extra point and won in regulation. So basically the last two weeks Ohio State has looked anything but the #2 team in the nation, but lemming like everyone just automatically says they are. While we are at it, that game was overrated Saturday. Mental and physical mistakes all game. Only a couple of passes even attempted beyond 20 yards. But I digress. I think it will really suck if a team OSU lost to wins the B10 championship (despite the fact that I think Wisky will win that game), and is left out over a team they beat. "Well, Penn State was lucky to win that game, Ohio State outplayed them for most of the game" I hear people say. Okay, how about this, "Well, Ohio State was lucky to win that game, Michigan outplayed them for most of the game". Why bother having a championship game at all if the team you beat gets a better ending than you? If this is the way it's gonna be, either return to the BCS, or bring on the eight team playoff NOW.

Back