• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

Well, we will have to give him reasons to regret it by defeating SU as long as he is there.

I think Washington will bail on Cuse, and Neal might follow as well later this fall. Too bad on not landing him now, but a verbal is just a verbal

^Yup. I am anticipating a commitment from him in the next week. He mentioned how a decision was coming soon right after he received the offer which is usually a good indication

I think Washington will bail on Cuse, and Neal might follow as well later this fall. Too bad on not landing him now, but a verbal is just a verbal

My thoughts exactly. Let's hope Washington bails because then it's a whole new ballgame.

He visited Cuse in the summer. It was probably 80 degrees there compared to 100 here. Wait until it gets cold here and the thought of being in that artic climate might not be as appealing

Colburn is the guy. Moe would have been sitting. If he wants to switch to Wake in January, do we take him?

Seems Neal was a local guy so more emotional. Don't we have enough small slot guys? I care about DL and OL and CBs. Everything else depends on those.

Kamara is the one I would like to get. Big guys.

You can't have 'em all.

As Diver mentioned, we have other very desirable players we're recruiting.......and we don't have enough spots for all of them.
How many offers do we extend? 100 or more?
We need to look at the final class, the quality and how it fits our needs.
Clawson and Co have things going in the right direction. I'm not going to get too upset about one guy that we didn't get.

As much as I wanted Moe, that's a good position to not get. We have already filled that spot. We should all take the Redd commitment as a big win. It was needed.

AUGUST PREVIEW

With the Traveon Redd and Moe Neal decisions behind us, I thought I would summarize what is upcoming for Wake football recruiting in August.

There are still 11 recruits that I am following closely (including two that I understand were offered as safeties – I am not sure what to do with them at this point). You can find a complete list, as well as basic info about their recruitment, at the top of the original post in this thread.

I expect decisions this month from highly-ranked targets CB Sir Patrick Scott, WR Larry Collins and probably LB Elysee Mbem-Bosse (more on him below). Unless their offers are not committable, I would expect decisions from camp attendees WR Greg Dortch, OL Tyler Watson and S/ATH DeAndre Delaney this month as well.

That could leave Sulaiman Kamara, Tremayne Anchrum and Jordon Brown as the only players on my Board still undecided by late-August/early-September.

Some quick notes on the players mentioned above:

Note that I’ve moved up the timeline on LB Elysee Mbem-Bosse’s decision – and that is probably not a good thing for Wake. He is planning on narrowing his top 7 down to a top 5 any day now and then making a commitment in the next 2-6 weeks. The earlier the decision, the more likely it is that he will choose Auburn since they appear to have all the momentum right now. Mbem-Bosse has visited there 3 times in the last six months and has developed a strong relationship with DC Will Muschamp. However, I’m not giving up on him yet because he’s just a different type of recruit. I know his recent tweet about trying to launch a nonprofit organization in the next two months caught the attention of some of you.

I’ve crossed DE/OLB Keith Simms off my list again despite his visit to Wake last month. He’s never mentioned a specific interest in Wake (at least not to my knowledge) and there has been a recent surge in speculation that he will join Maryland’s “stay at home” movement and commit to Terps soon. Demetric Warren – who nailed the Moe Neal prediction – just dropped a Crystal Ball prediction on Simms to the Terps.

CB Sir Patrick Scott travelled to Ann Arbor yesterday to start his unofficial visit at Michigan. He is now acknowledging that Michigan is the outright leader. In his most recent interview he put Wake Forest in a group that also included Arizona, Indiana and Wisconsin.

One of the South Carolina insiders switched his Crystal Ball prediction for WR Larry Collins from the Gamecocks to “foggy”. I think you will see the same happen for his other South Carolina Crystal Balls, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see a Wake Forest prediction sometime in the next few weeks.

A couple of quick notes on the general recruiting process, which I continue to find fascinating, and sometimes laughable:

We are now just a few weeks away from the start of the period where official visits can be made. Once a recruit has started classes at their high school for their senior year they can take official visits. Presumably this means the NCAA doesn’t mind a student-athlete’s high school studies being disrupted by visits, as long as their summer isn’t interfered with :) . So we could start to hear about official visit dates for a few recruits.

August 1 was the first day that colleges could extend written scholarship offers to 2016 recruits (note: I’ve never understood the reason for this rule). Wake has likely sent offer letters to current commits and targets but also probably a lot of Rivals 250 types (even if they are committed elsewhere). To be honest I am eager to see how Wake’s offer letter looks this year. Around the country many teams have changed their offer letters to include impressive looking graphics, because they realize that the letters will end up being posted on social media by recruits that are eager to show them off. There wasn’t anything wrong with Wake’s offer letter last year, but it was the boring, plain letterhead type. You can see examples of what some of this year's offer letters from around the country look like (including Miami’s, which gets analogized to a nightclub flyer) in this article: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2015/8/1/9084945/ncaa-football-scholarship-offer-letters

Back