• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

Anthony Brown

Just received an offer from Wake Forest Demon Deacons �� #blessed pic.twitter.com/TcKsYG6xdC

CLAWSON ON RECRUITING

I just got to reading Dan Collins great 5-part interview with Coach Clawson from a week ago. I thought this quote was interesting. It relates to the '14, '15 and '16 classes, so I could have put it in the other thread but I will leave it here instead.

"DC: First of all, last year’s class we’re very happy with - as late as we got here. We were able to flip some kids and a lot of guys that we got late we think are going to end up being very good players. I think we’re probably more confident with this year’s class. Obviously we have to finish it, but we just feel we know these guys so much better. Recruiting really starts early in their junior year, if not late in their sophomore year. And that’s just the way it’s evolved. So really, the first class that we started even with is going to be the ’16 class."

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/my_take_on_wake/clawson-interview-take/article_2fb7f02e-9d30-11e4-8ff9-af3fe1f55075.html

When I first read this, I had to think which DC was being quoted..............kinda obvious but I hadn't thought before that both Dan Collins and Dave Clawson are DCs.
If we start having articles talking about our OC or DC as well, it will really get confusing.

CLAWSON ON RECRUITING

I just got to reading Dan Collins great 5-part interview with Coach Clawson from a week ago. I thought this quote was interesting. It relates to the '14, '15 and '16 classes, so I could have put it in the other thread but I will leave it here instead.

"DC: First of all, last year’s class we’re very happy with - as late as we got here. We were able to flip some kids and a lot of guys that we got late we think are going to end up being very good players. I think we’re probably more confident with this year’s class. Obviously we have to finish it, but we just feel we know these guys so much better. Recruiting really starts early in their junior year, if not late in their sophomore year. And that’s just the way it’s evolved. So really, the first class that we started even with is going to be the ’16 class."

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/my_take_on_wake/clawson-interview-take/article_2fb7f02e-9d30-11e4-8ff9-af3fe1f55075.html

With so few 'ships for '16, what will be our priorities,other than DL?

Really liked seeing Moe Neal congratulating Rocky Reid on his commitment and calling him "my Big Bro". I think that Rocky Reid and Tre Harbison have a connection as well, but I am not as sure.

Talking to my friend over at Forestview in regards to Rocky Reid's commitment affecting Moe Neal He said it can't hurt since they are friends and could get into his ear a little bit in a good way. However he said it is commonly known that Robert Washington and him will try to be a package deal...

West Virginia is hosting a Junior Day today. I'm guessing that the West Virginia-Texas Tech basketball game is part of the day

Here is a list of players on my Big Board that will be at West Virginia today:
RB Kennedy McKoy
RB Reggie Floyd
SLOT Darion Slade

Also a few notable players for Wake that are at WVU today that didn’t make my Board because I thought they were out of reach:
DT Ellison Jordan (Gilman School / Baltimore, MD)
OT Josh Ball (Stafford HS / Fredericksburg, VA)

Haven't seen this posted yet, but:

Last edited:
Haven't seen this posted yet, but:

One of the 2016 recruitments that has progressed further along than most. Maryland is a HEAVY favorite (they think he's a lock). He recently acknowledged that Maryland and Virginia Tech are his two leaders. He is at West Virginia today and will be at Virginia Tech next week. I have kept him off my Big Board for now but if he comes to Wake's Junior Day I would certainly add him at that point.

Lots of Junior Days going on today. Players on my Big Board visiting other schools:

N.C. State (no home basketball game)
QB Jamie Newman
RB Jordon Brown
WR Jeremiah Brown
DE Julian Okwara
DT Christian Colon
CB Mark Gilbert

South Carolina (basketball game: South Carolina-Georgia)
WR Samuel Denmark
OT Jaylen Miller

Virginia (basketball game: UVA-Duke)
RB Tre Harbison

Interesting note that Tre Harbison decided to go to UVA today over N.C. State and West Virginia (who have also offered). I wonder how much of that had to do with the UVA-Duke basketball game.

It is also interesting that Wake's Junior Day won't involve a basketball game. It would like to know if that was due to scheduling or just not wanting to include a basketball game. I would guess it had more to do with no Saturday home games in the entire month on February. Either way that will make it more challenging to get recruits to come.

The staff made a number of 2016 offers during the contact period that ended yesterday. As a result, I am adding nine players to my Big Board. I haven’t done write-ups for any of them yet. I will probably get to those over the next 2 weeks.

There are a couple of notable things about these latest additions to the Board:
(1) The first two QBs were added. Interestingly, both of them are most definitely in the dual-threat category
(2) The non-QB offers were generally to players further away from Winston-Salem than the earlier offers. I knew that Jacksonville would be a focus at some point and now 4 players from that area have been added. There were also two non-QBs added from states that I consider to be “out of territory” (1 in Ohio and 1 in New Jersey).

Players added to the Big Board

3-star QB Jamie Newman (Graham HS / Graham, NC)
2-star QB Anthony Brown (St. John Vianney HS / Holmdel, NJ)

Unrated RB Hussein Howe (University Christian HS / Jacksonville, FL)
Unrated WR Phil Benker (Sandalwood HS / Jacksonville, FL)
2-star WR Donald Stewart (Paramus Catholic HS / Paramus, NJ)
Unrated OT Jaylen Miller (Providence School / Jacksonville, FL)
3-star DT Jake Saunders (Loveland HS / Loveland, OH)
Unrated LB Elysee Mbem-Bosse (Cedar Grove HS / Ellenwood, GA)
Unrated S Khalil Bryant (First Coast HS / Jacksonville, FL)

Note: Keep in mind that a large number of 2016 recruits are unrated at this point. So that shouldn't be concerning.

Last edited:
Here is the revised Big Board broken down by state (I’ll count Jacksonville as a state for this exercise):

“In Territory”
North Carolina 12
Georgia 5
Jacksonville 5
Virginia 4
Maryland 3
South Carolina 2

“Out of Territory”
New Jersey 2
Ohio 1

Here is the revised Big Board broken down by position (there still appears to be a heavy focus on RB and WR):

QB - 2
RB - 7
SLOT - 2
WR - 9
OL - 4

DT - 2
DE - 2
LB - 1
S -3
CB -5

Assuming we get the Louisville RB decommit, how many schollies do we have for 2016?

Assuming we get the Louisville RB decommit, how many schollies do we have for 2016?

Assuming that we take one more commit and carry 3 scholarships over to 2016, then by my count that class will start with 7.

Assuming that we take one more commit and carry 3 scholarships over to 2016, then by my count that class will start with 7.

We have 4 seniors this year? We really are young.

The Sr are Intermann, Kinal, Chubb, Ty Harris and I believe Hunter Williams is on scholarship by now. There is some deadwood that might leave and I always worry about players that live far away. The travel or the affordability of flying home, might become a problem.

Back