• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

I noticed that 2 of Wake's 2016 targets retweeted the BloggerSoDear tweet that read "Dave Clawson's Proven Rebuilding Process Has Several Naysayers". I'm not sure how to interpret that. I hope that they at least read the linked article. The article wasn't actually about people criticizing his process, but instead seemed to focus on accusations that Clawson's commits were given playing time over established Grobe-commits, which seems crazy. I don't think the Clawson recruits got very much playing time at all (unless you count Wolford as a Clawson commit).

Haven't seen this posted yet, but:

Tino Ellis told an interviewer he is planning on attending Junior Day at Wake this weekend. 4-star WR.

Looks like 247 has done a lot of Crystal Ball predictions for the 2016 class recently. Tre Harbison had 2 predictions this week: 1 to UNC and 1 to Wake.

Looks like 247 has done a lot of Crystal Ball predictions for the 2016 class recently. Tre Harbison had 2 predictions this week: 1 to UNC and 1 to Wake.

Harbinson just named Wake, Virginia, and Vanderbilt his top 3, in no order.

THE QUARTERBACKS

As with any class the first order of business is typically getting the QB spot filled. There were two offers in January that I think are very significant. Both are decidedly dual threat. The offer to Anthony Brown took me by surprise because he hadn’t been on my radar. Note that Brown is expected to make the trip from New Jersey to be at Wake Forest’s Junior Day on Sunday.
There are also a number of others that may be in line for offers.

BIG BOARD QBs:

Jamie Newman (Dual Threat QB 6’4 / 215) – Graham HS / Graham, NC

Rating: 3-star (5.5)

Power 5 offers: Wake Forest, West Virginia, Boston College, Duke, N.C. State and Vanderbilt

247 Crystal Balls: N.C. State (1)

Hudl Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1591167/highlights/180086383/v2

Summer 2014 Camps: Duke, UNC, Clemson, N.C. State and Wake Forest. Also went to one Elite 11 camp.

Stats: In his sophomore year he had 2,000 yards and 13 TDs passing and 750 yards and 12 TDs rushing.

Background: During his career there have been questions about his ability to play QB at the next level, but those questions appear to have been answered. He played some safety his sophomore year, and early on some writers were projecting him as a LB or S. As a QB, his elite athleticism and running ability has been his calling card. Also runs track at Graham (personal best in the 200m is 23.1) and plays basketball. Has a 3.8 GPA. Looking to major in kinesiology.

Recruitment: Earned scholarship offers from Duke and N.C. State after participating in their camps last June. In September he named those 2 schools as early leaders. He attended games this fall at Duke, UNC, Maryland, N.C. State and Wake Forest. In November he said that West Virginia was recruiting him the hardest. He told an interviewer that he had a strong performance at the Wake Forest camp and has a strong relationship with the Wake Forest coaching staff. His HS coach said in September that Wake Forest told him that an offer was coming. Wake ultimately did offer in January.

Anthony Brown (Dual Threat QB 6’2 / 185) – St. John Vianney HS / Holmdel, NJ

Rating: 3-star (5.5). Rivals #30 overall player in New Jersey

Power 5 offers: Wake Forest, Northwestern and Syracuse

Hudl highlights: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3018934/highlights/172359378/v2

Stats: In his junior year he had 2,100 yards passing and 27 TDs passing and 811 yards and 8 TDs rushing. Had only 4 INTs last year.

Background: Burst onto the recruiting scene this past year after switching to QB from free safety.

Recruitment: He said in December that Boston College and Duke were recruiting him the hardest, and that Boston College was his early leader. A month later he said that Northwestern was recruiting him the hardest. He has visited Boston College, Maryland and Duke so far. Plans to visit Wake Forest, Penn State and Syracuse in February.

OTHER QBs (WITHOUT OFFERS YET)

I am a little surprised that Wake Forest hasn’t pulled the trigger on an offer to Deuce Wallace (Sevierville County HS / Sevierville, TN). He is Rivals #24 pro-style QB in the country and already claims a Northwestern offer. He attended camp at Wake Forest last summer. I know that Wake Forest is heavily involved with him, but I can’t tell how close they might be to offering. He wants to attend law school and is heavily involved with programs like Duke and Vanderbilt. He will probably attend Wake Forest’s second Junior Day (February 28). He has been to Duke this month for their first Junior Day.

Skylar Thompson (Ft Osage / Independence, MO) has been on my radar for a while because he has mentioned Wake Forest a number of times in interviews. He is Rivals #18 dual threat QB in the country. He is still looking for his first Power 5 conference offer. He has visits planned to Mizzou, Kansas and Arkansas and said that he might visit Wake Forest sometime this Spring.

I expect that there are other QBs that Wake is also heavily involved with.

Remember this Wake staff has a policy of "until you throw for us, you don't get an official offer" for quarterbacks. That may be why several QBs are on the radar but without official offers as yet. May save the staff some time and trips, if a prospect isn't willing to throw for the coaches in person, is he really a good fit for Wake?

Remember this Wake staff has a policy of "until you throw for us, you don't get an official offer" for quarterbacks. That may be why several QBs are on the radar but without official offers as yet. May save the staff some time and trips, if a prospect isn't willing to throw for the coaches in person, is he really a good fit for Wake?

Maybe, but I think it is more that the staff is VERY selective about making offers. At this point it looks to me like Coach R has seen most of the candidates throw. Maybe not all. He's seen Skylar Thompson. He's seen Deuce Wallace. He's seen a number of others. If it is like last year, the staff will target only 1-3 QBs at a time until they get a commit.

QB recruiting is such a different animal than recruiting the other positions. I don't think I really appreciate all of the differences though.

Maybe, but I think it is more that the staff is VERY selective about making offers. At this point it looks to me like Coach R has seen most of the candidates throw. Maybe not all. He's seen Skylar Thompson. He's seen Deuce Wallace. He's seen a number of others. If it is like last year, the staff will target only 1-3 QBs at a time until they get a commit.

QB recruiting is such a different animal than recruiting the other positions. I don't think I really appreciate all of the differences though.

I think the staff realizes you are only going to get 1 QB commit a year, so they want to be sure they get the best guy they can. Don't want to accept a commitment from your 4th guy if you think your secon guy will commit. Other positions are different because multiple people play that position in a game, so you can accept 2 rbs in a class.

I can't imagine that quarterback will be a point of emphasis for this class.

Clawson told Dan Collins that he wants 4 scholarship QBs. From everything that I can tell they have been working hard (since the summer if not before) to find a very high-end QB for the 2016 class. I don't think they are looking for a nice backup (and why would they?).

Back