• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

My 2016 list broken down by metro area (including suburbs). Required some judgment in determining whether to include some towns as suburbs of larger cities. These 9 metro areas account for two-thirds of the recruits on my list:

Atlanta: 9
Charlotte: 6
New York City: 6
Cincinnati: 4
Washington, DC: 4
Piedmont Triad: 3
Chesapeake / Norfolk / Virginia Beach: 3
Jacksonville: 3
Orlando: 3

Tre Harbison trimmed his list down to: Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Wake Forest, Virginia and Pitt. Appears to have eliminated Boston College, UNC, NC State and West Virginia.

He is targeting a decision in early June. Sounds like he will be at the Wake Forest scrimmage on Friday.

Last edited:
There is no news yet from the Skylar Thompson visit to Wake Forest. If I understand correctly he will be back on campus today. In the meantime, here is a quick wrap-up on the QBs that do have offers (some old info and some new):

Anthony Brown (Other P5 offers from Syracuse, Boston College and Northwestern) – He will visit Wake for the second time this year on April 11 for the spring game. The Boston College offer is new. He also added his first Crystal Ball prediction, which is also to Boston College. He is making his second visit of the spring to Syracuse this coming weekend. Northwestern is out of the hunt after taking Deuce Wallace, presumably making it a 3 school contest for Brown. He is scheduled to compete at Elite 11 on April 26. He is targeting a decision sometime in late-April or early-May.

Peyton Ramsey (Other P5 offers from Indiana, Boston College and Illinois) – Everything (Twitter, recruiting sites etc) has been silent on Ramsey. Hometown Cincinnati might be a player with Ramsey. Illinois is done at QB.

Jamie Newman (Other P5 offers from West Virginia, Boston College, Duke, Vanderbilt, and NC State) - He will visit Wake for the second time this year on April 11 for the spring game. Newman spoke very highly of West Virginia and Vanderbilt after recent visits. In particular he liked the facilities at West Virginia. He says he is looking for the best combo of a big-time football program and great academics. Recently competed at Elite 11 in Atlanta and qualified for the regional finals. QBHitList.com ranked him as the #9 performer at the event. While slightly more raw than some other QBs, I think programs are drawn to his upside. Note that he was officially measured at **6’4/237** at the Nike Combine in Atlanta. He also timed 4.49 in the shuttle drill. He is targeting a decision a little later in the process (late-May or early-June) which should makes things interesting.

David Moore (Other P5 offers from Oregon State and Illinois) – Moore recently tweeted that he is looking forward to visiting Wake again soon. He previously visited in February. My guess is that Wake is his leader among the schools that have offered. He was at Tennessee last weekend but left without an offer. His near-term visits are UNC (no offer) this weekend and then a Texas trip where he will visit Houston, Texas A&M (no offer) and SMU (no offer). Interesting to note that he is on Ohio State’s radar. I’ve posted some of the Elite 11 hype after his performances at Atlanta and Orlando. He was a standout at both. He is targeting early to mid-May for a decision.

Per Tabacco on twitter, we just got an OL commit.

Looks like he's unrated with offers from Samford and South Alabama.

Looks like he's unrated with offers from Samford and South Alabama.

He's a 3-star on Scout, but is unrated by 247 & Rivals. FWIW he was 3rd team all-state in Florida's class 7A last season.

I'll take the wait-and-see approach with this guy.

Scout link to OL commit, Je'vionte Nash

http://wakeforest.scout.com/topic/p...&minimumInterest=SoftVerbal&sortBy=CommitDate

1504715.jpg

I didn’t have Nash on my Board because I wasn’t confident that he had an offer. The recruiting websites didn’t show him as having an offer so I didn’t either. His name had hit my radar twice before. The first was last November/December when a Twitter account associated with his HS team tweeted that he had been offered. The second was in February when he turned up at the Elite Junior Day (the one for top targets).

I don’t know anything about him other than he is from the Jacksonville area.

I have been skeptical of some of the players that were offered by the staff last summer and winter. Heck, I’m skeptical of a couple of players in the 2015 class. However I have a lot of confidence in the players that the staff is offering this early in the process. Part of that comes from the success that they have had with Phil Haynes, who was completely under the radar. Part comes from watching each kid that they offer early this year later fill up with other P5 offers. They appear to be doing great evals but kids don’t stay a secret for long. If they deemed Nash to not only be worthy of an offer 15 months before signing day, but willing to take a commitment from him without having him attend camp then it is safe to assume that they are 100% sold on him.

It is worth noting that with such a small class there may only be room for one more OL in this class.

ETA: Oakleaf High School tweeted that he was offered on October 28, 2014. That is a very early offer.

Last edited:
2016 FB Recruiting. New OL commit.

QB Skylar Thompson was offered by Wake. The list of potential QBs goes back up to 5.

Last edited:
We had some luck last year with early commits from nobodies who went on to have great senior years. Welcome Je'. All of the best to you.

Solid pickup. We have to score with some unknown juniors with potential. There are plenty of 16 who have a lot of growing and maturing to do. We're not going to get top rated underclassmen who Are being chased by very other school.

Did some research this morning on Je’Vionte Nash. A few interesting items. His resume as a recruit is relatively thin, but keep in mind there were probably a half-dozen recruits in the 2015 class that had less impressive resumes and Nash is still a junior.

Was offered by South Alabama (in 2014), Samford (March 2015) and Idaho (March 2015)

Attended Wake Forest Junior Day on February 15. Attended UCF Junior Day on March 21. Visited Auburn on February 21. A 247 article that previewed the Auburn visit weekend said that he only had two offers but was drawing plenty of attention.

The most impressive thing on his resume is that he was 1 of only 5 offensive lineman to make the Florida's Class 7A all-state team as a junior. He was 3rd team.

He was named 2nd-team all-Jacksonville area by the Times-Union newspaper. There was one junior named to the first team (Tony Boselli’s son) and Nash was the only junior named to the second team.

247’s Keith Niebuhr tweeted this about him in November 2014: “Hearing a lot of good things about this 2016 OL down at Oakleaf High in Florida (he then linked Nash's profile page)”

Had the following P5 schools following him on Twitter: Georgia Tech, Miami, and Northwestern. Also had the following non-P5 schools following him: Colorado State, Tulane, Georgia Southern, UCF, USF, and Western Kentucky.

Edited to add: The only official combine results that I could find were from January 2014 when he measured 6'2/252 and ran a 4.98 40. His 40 time was the 2nd fastest for an OL at that event.

Last edited:
WR Jeremiah Brown will be back on campus today. This is visit #3 for Brown this year.

We should send the staff over to the UK to check this kid out:

Watch the video of Nash. He is dominant which you would expect, but he stays with his block for an extraordinary amount of time and then tries to find another person to block. He is a finisher. When he pulls, he blocks someone. Most offensive linemen pull and hit no one. He also looks to have a little "nasty" in him.

The scrimmage today was well attended by recruits. In addition to Tre Harbison and Jeremiah Brown, I saw that safety Traveon Redd and South Carolina commit CJ Freeman were there. Also at least a few other recruits without offers.

Back