• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Football Recruiting Thread - Notes from NSD Press Conference and Reception

WEEKLY WRAP-UP

Additions to my Board

QB Skylar Thompson (Independence, MO) – New offer. 3-star. Rivals #17 dual threat QB. Other P5 offer is Kansas.

TE Alexander Marshall (Andover, MA) – New offer. 3-star. Recently got his first P5 offer from Pitt. Rivals #1 player in Massachusetts. 6’7. Formerly a UNC commit for lacrosse. Now focused solely on football.

TE Sam Letton (Marietta, GA) – 3-star. P5 offers from Kentucky, N.C. State, Syracuse and West Virginia. He says that he has a Wake Forest offer and plans to visit in April.

OL Michael Wiggs (Lakeland, FL) – New offer. The Wake offer was his first P5 offer and just his third offer overall. He visited Wake last week. He has also recently visited Miami and Auburn.

DE Nolan DeFranco (Winter Garden, FL) – New offer. Other P5 offers from Vanderbilt and Virginia. His P5 offers came in quick succession. Virginia on March 25. Vanderbilt on March 26. Wake Forest on March 29. He plans to visit Wake Forest but he was not clear on the timing.

DE LaRonde Liverpool (Virginia Beach, VA) – New offer. 3-star. #24 player in Virginia. Other P5 offers from Virginia and N.C. State. So far this year he has visited N.C. State, Duke, Virginia Tech, Maryland and Clemson. He plans to visit Wake Forest this week. Listed as a LB, it sounds like he would be a DE for Wake.

Removed from my Board

OL Taleni Suhren (Charlotte, NC) – I have gone back and forth on whether Suhren should be on the list. He attended the Elite Junior Day at Wake Forest, and subsequently said that Wake was recruiting him the hardest. However a recent article gave me the impression that the only schools in contention right now are Duke, Tennessee, Vanderbilt and Clemson (no offer). He also picked up another Crystal Ball prediction to Duke. That makes 6 Duke predictions overall.

RB Rico Dowdle (Asheville, NC) – I’m crossing him off my list only because he has seemingly fallen off the radar. Dowdle was offered during camp last summer but subsequently served a suspension for disciplinary issues. He has not been mentioned on the recruiting scene for Wake Forest or anyone else.

Other Notes and Updates

Recruits on the Board

OL Tremayne Anchrum (Powder Springs, GA) picked up a Georgia offer this week however I am going to keep him on my list for now. There aren’t too many recruits that have spoken more positively about Wake than Anchrum, however those comments came before his offer from Georgia. Let’s see how his recruitment develops.

OL Liam Smith (Red Bank, NJ) likes Duke. A lot.

S Keyshawn Canady (Teachey, NC) has UNC and West Virginia as his leaders right now. Wake Forest is his only other P5 offer.

Add WR Jalen Elliott (Richmond, VA area) to the list of recruits that visited yesterday. His second visit of 2015. He also visited last fall. Virginia Tech remains the favorite.

Recruits Not on the Board

It looks like safety JJ Givens (Mechanicsville, VA) will be visiting again soon. Wake Forest was involved with him early, but he is now up to 10 P5 offers and has visited a number of schools. I will watch his recruitment closely to see if Wake can get on his list of favorites. If Wake can get into contention I think he would be one of the top targets this year.

4-star LB Cameron Brown (19 P5 offers) made unofficial visits to UNC, Duke, N.C. State and Wake Forest recently. He said that Duke stood out the most to him out of those 4 visits.

Wake offered 3-star TE Noah Turner (Mundelein, IL) this week. He has P5 offers from UNC, Maryland, N.C. State, Illinois and Indiana. Unfortunately the offer came as he was ending a spring break college tour where he visited Maryland, N.C. State and UNC. He said that he would have visited Wake if they had offered earlier. He doesn’t have any more visits planned in April. For that reason I am going to keep him off my list for now.

Last edited:
I didn’t have Nash on my Board because I wasn’t confident that he had an offer. The recruiting websites didn’t show him as having an offer so I didn’t either. His name had hit my radar twice before. The first was last November/December when a Twitter account associated with his HS team tweeted that he had been offered. The second was in February when he turned up at the Elite Junior Day (the one for top targets).

I don’t know anything about him other than he is from the Jacksonville area.

I have been skeptical of some of the players that were offered by the staff last summer and winter. Heck, I’m skeptical of a couple of players in the 2015 class. However I have a lot of confidence in the players that the staff is offering this early in the process. Part of that comes from the success that they have had with Phil Haynes, who was completely under the radar. Part comes from watching each kid that they offer early this year later fill up with other P5 offers. They appear to be doing great evals but kids don’t stay a secret for long. If they deemed Nash to not only be worthy of an offer 15 months before signing day, but willing to take a commitment from him without having him attend camp then it is safe to assume that they are 100% sold on him.

It is worth noting that with such a small class there may only be room for one more OL in this class.

ETA: Oakleaf High School tweeted that he was offered on October 28, 2014. That is a very early offer.

Haynes is obviously a physical freak but there is no way you can call him a success.

Haynes is obviously a physical freak but there is no way you can call him a success.

Good point. Way too premature to declare him a success. The early returns seem good though when you consider that he is practicing with the first team.

Been playing football since 2012. His potential is unlimited. We'll see how it turns out....

So, he is 3 years into football and a starter at a power 5 school?! Even if it is only spring practice that is impressive.

So, he is 3 years into football and a starter at a power 5 school?! Even if it is only spring practice that is impressive.

He was also a DL in high school. His first scrimmage as an OL at any level was last week.

He was also a DL in high school. His first scrimmage as an OL at any level was last week.

If he stays healthy, sounds like he has the potential to be a star OL!

94, any word on Ali Lamot? If you prefer, send a PM. Thanks.

@athletevault: 2016 DE Johnny Ray (Wando HS/Mt. Pleasant, SC) has committed to #WakeForest

Never heard of him. There is virtually zero information out there on him. I wonder if it is true.

Did he start playing football after hurricane Arthur destroyed his pool last Fall?

11 tackles last season at LB? Wando usually has a good team, so hopefully he has been well-coached.

Johnny Ray is indeed commit #3 for the class of 2016.

I am speculating that he is a high upside athlete that just starting playing high school football. As best I can tell he has only appeared in 6-7 games in his career.

He doesn't seem to have a Twitter account which makes it difficult to do much research.

So much for thinking they'd be selective with a small class.

Back