• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 NASCAR Thread - 7 Time!

Wreck involving an overturned bus and multiple cars on 158 in Stokesdale. If you're heading to Martinsville, be aware and look for an alternate route.

Good race yesterday at Martinsville. The weather was fantastic. I couldn't believe how few cautions there were. This was my tenth race at Martinsville and the first time that I had ever seen green flag pit stops.

The Spirit of the Old Gold and Black did themselves and MSD proud playing the National Anthem.

9ga9ol.jpg

2016 NASCAR Thread - Alabammer Five Hunnet

what up with that fella running over everybody in the parking lot? cray.

Good race yesterday at Martinsville. The weather was fantastic. I couldn't believe how few cautions there were. This was my tenth race at Martinsville and the first time that I had ever seen green flag pit stops.

The Spirit of the Old Gold and Black did themselves and MSD proud playing the National Anthem.

9ga9ol.jpg

I love Martinsville. Don't think races there are quite as good as the ones were at Wilkesboro, but they are better than any of the big tracks I've seen.

Speaking of green flag pit stops, one of my two favorite races at Martinsville was greatly impacted by a crazy, short-lived green flag tire rule. It was the spring race in 1980 and NASCAR came up with the idea that the teams could only change tires during green flag stops. If you changed tires under caution you were given a 2-lap penalty on top of the time you lost in the pits. The idea was to even up competition, because some of the less-sponsored teams didn't have the money to buy as many tires as the top teams....so the top teams were changing tires under caution more often and getting an advantage. What happened, though, was that nobody wanted to lose the time it would take to change tires under green....nor get a 2-lap penalty for changing tires under caution....so everyone stretched the tires until they began blowing out on the track and causing accidents. That rule didn't last long. DW started on the pole and led the 1st 185 laps. There were a couple of cautions during that time, but none of the leaders changed tires. A caution came out around lap 181 or so and Darrell got the bright idea that he would follow the pace car into the pits to change tires as they took the green flag and try to lose only 1 lap changing tires instead of 2 laps. He actually bumped the pace car on pit road a couple of times trying to get by it to his pits as quickly as he could.

The problem was that he misunderstood the rule. You had to take the green flag on the track...not in the pits...to avoid the 2-lap penalty for changing tires. So he lost 2 laps with the pit stop anyway because he couldn't get by the pace car quickly enough....then had to sit in the pits 2 more laps for the penalty. So after leading the first 185 laps, he went back on the track 4 laps down.

Why was this one of my 2 favorites races at Martinsville? Because Darrell made up all four of those laps and won the race.

(My other favorite race at Martinsville was the fall race in 1987, when Earnhardt wrecked Terry Labonte in turn 3 of lap 498 and Darrell won that race. I think that was the first time I ever remember the fans cheering DW when he came out of turn 4 to take the checkered flag. Almost brought a tear to my eye, because I saw him really take some verbal abuse at Martinsville in his early years. The drivers came out for introductions on a stage right there at the start-finish line...virtually on top of the crowd...and you wouldn't believe some of the treatment he got from the fans in the late 70s & early 80s.)

Great weather for racing, or at least for the fans it was. I was sitting in turn in 1 about 15 rows up and thought I saw a driver on a stretcher going down pit road after the race. Sure enough, a few drivers were treated for heat exhaustion after the race.

I was shocked to see SOTOGAB there; really a cool surprise to have them perform the anthem. Also, not surprisingly, there were a lot of Trump souvenir stands outside the track.

Great weather for racing, or at least for the fans it was. I was sitting in turn in 1 about 15 rows up and thought I saw a driver on a stretcher going down pit road after the race. Sure enough, a few drivers were treated for heat exhaustion after the race.

I was shocked to see SOTOGAB there; really a cool surprise to have them perform the anthem. Also, not surprisingly, there were a lot of Trump souvenir stands outside the track.

Jimmy Johnson thanks NASCAR for the 29 lap yellow.

The last 3 races are at tracks JJ is typically great at, but really only has to be great at Homestead. I think he gets #7. He is hitting his stride at the right time.

In fantasy, tight race between the top 5 with 3 races left. Only 59 points separates 1st and 5th place. The rest of us are basically Danicas just making laps at this point.

NASCAR should implement a rule that all Chase races have to go the full distance. They waited six hours to start this race when they could have run it on Monday. So if they were going to do that, what did it matter if they wait to wait a couple of more hours for that last rain delay and finish the race at 2 AM?

IIRC, they didn't even start a race at Daytona until something like 11 PM a few years ago.

ETA: I checked my diary and it was the Firecracker race last year. Didn't start until 11:35 PM......and ran the full 400 miles, finishing at 2:30 AM.

Last edited:
Hate it for Kenseth, but that's racing. I wonder if Busch made that move on Bowman because Kenseth wouldn't take the low Lane.

Hate it for Kenseth, but that's racing. I wonder if Busch made that move on Bowman because Kenseth wouldn't take the low Lane.

Kyle had to make a move when Bowman spun his tires on the restart. If he hadn't, he would have been buried in about 5th or 6th place and out of it. Kenseth would have still won the race if he hadn't come down and just turned right into Bowman, wrecking himself.

With a good restart, I think Bowman might have been able to win the race. I think he had the fastest car at the end. Actually, as a Kyle Busch fan, I really thought before that last restart that Kyle's best chance to make the finals was to try to get a 2nd by following Bowman.

ETA: As a long-time DW fan in Randleman, I have never been that much of a Kyle Petty fan....but I think he has become a really good analyst.

Bowman spun his tires, as just about everyone does when on old tires in the inside line. Busch had to push or he would have been left out. Unfortunately, he pushed hard into Bowman, which caused Bowman to take a deep dive into the corner and Kenseth came down on him.

Bowman has the car to beat.

Since Bowman wasn't getting up to speed because he spun his tires, Kyle was going to go inside Bowman and make it three wide (it was the only thing he could do).... but Bowman moved down to block him. When you are spinning your tires and move down to block somebody, you are going to get hit most of the time in a situation like that. No way Kyle was going to back off just because Bowman was going too slow and trying to block him. As I said earlier, if Kyle had backed off to keep from hitting Bowman when Bowman was spinning his tires and trying to block him, 3 or 4 cars in the outside lane would have passed everyone in the inside lane. Bowman screwed up....then Kenseth screwed up. He didn't have to dive to the bottom of the track that quickly. He had an open lane where he already was.

Anyway, it worked out great for Kyle...and that's the important thing! :)

Did not expect that response from Carl when he climbed the pit box.
Weak response. He had a right to be furious; Logano should have lifted because there was no way he was going to make that corner without wrecking people.

edit. after watching, they were both stupid to have gone that low. Edwards should have let Logano go even lower, doubtful he makes that corner.

Last edited:
Actually ok with my 3rd place finish. This was a rather bizarre fantasy year as far as NASCAR goes.

Back