• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016 Panthers Thread: MOVING ON

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about Gano vs. Butker? How many more years do we need to see Gano blowing it in big spots before moving on from him - I don't care if he's doing better in practice, we know about his propensity to come up small when it matters

How about Gano vs. Butker? How many more years do we need to see Gano blowing it in big spots before moving on from him - I don't care if he's doing better in practice, we know about his propensity to come up small when it matters

Apparently, Butker is still light years beyond Gano and not ready to be an NFL kicker, although he did drill a 50+ yarder the other night. Article below mentions it, as well as other positional battles.

Sounds like Byrd is a lock for the WR 5, with either Bersin or no one (Webb) at WR6. I'd rather stick with 5, especially with Webb and the ability to split CMC out wide.

http://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2017/08/15/current-leaders-for-6-key-panthers-2017-position-battles/

Apparently, Butker is still light years beyond Gano and not ready to be an NFL kicker, although he did drill a 50+ yarder the other night. Article below mentions it, as well as other positional battles.

Sounds like Byrd is a lock for the WR 5, with either Bersin or no one (Webb) at WR6. I'd rather stick with 5, especially with Webb and the ability to split CMC out wide.

http://pantherswire.usatoday.com/20...ers-for-6-key-panthers-2017-position-battles/

Good post. The Moton report is encouraging.

This is the breakdown of last year's Week 1 roster:

QB 3
RB 3
FB 1
WR 6
TE 3
OL 9
DL 9
LB 7
DB 9
K/P/LS 3

I can't see us keeping 6 WR and 4 RB given CMC's versatility. I'd rather go with 5 WR and 4 RBs given that Stewart and CMC will see the field at the same time on occasion. Can't say I'm hyped about Fozzy and CAP being the other two RBs, though.

@RRiotReport: One year extension for LB Thomas Davis just signed, 1 year-6.75M for 2018.

Extremely reasonable Hurney deal especially since TD will be a part-time player next year most likely. I hope the plan is to continue limiting his snaps and bring him back for another deal for less in 2019 if he wants to come back. Shaq should be the starter by that time but TD can still give quality snaps.

Hurney doing work

Maybe we should just cycle hurney and gman every three years

Curious if TD signs that if Gettles is around and the speculation doesn't come out that he and Olsen pushed for his dismissal

Extremely reasonable Hurney deal especially since TD will be a part-time player next year most likely. I hope the plan is to continue limiting his snaps and bring him back for another deal for less in 2019 if he wants to come back. Shaq should be the starter by that time but TD can still give quality snaps.

Where did you get the idea that TD, who was just in the Pro Bowl, will be a part time player ?

Where did you get the idea that TD, who was just in the Pro Bowl, will be a part time player ?

Well first of all, because Wilks said he was limiting TD's snaps this year.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-plan-to-limit-thomas-davis-snaps-this-season

Second, TD instagramed this:

Had to come in and figure out a way to make up for these extra reps I'm about lose LOL. My dawg @shaqthompson is a beast and most certainly needs to be on the field more. The way I see it this is another way to help extend my career. I might play till I'm 37�������� #1100LBs #ImNotOldYet #KeepGrinding

Third of all, next year TD will be 35 and Shaq will be in his 4th season.

So were only going to play two linebackers ? TD's snaps won't go down more than 10%.

And, our offense is going to score so much and so fast the defense is going to be on the field a ton.

It's called a nickel package. We use it a lot.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...ell-builds-perfect-nfl-roster-salary-cap-2017

ESPN creates the "best" NFL team under the salary cap with certain restrictions (set number of rookies, vets, and players still on rookie deals, etc), with at least 1 player and no more than 3 from any single team.

Two Panthers made the cut, FB Alexander Armah & OL Taylor Moton. Odd choices, especially since they favored versatility with skill players and could have had McCaffrey or Samuel.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...ell-builds-perfect-nfl-roster-salary-cap-2017

ESPN creates the "best" NFL team under the salary cap with certain restrictions (set number of rookies, vets, and players still on rookie deals, etc), with at least 1 player and no more than 3 from any single team.

Two Panthers made the cut, FB Alexander Armah & OL Taylor Moton. Odd choices, especially since they favored versatility with skill players and could have had McCaffrey or Samuel.

Not odd at all. CMC's cap hit is $3.1M. They got David Johnson and Theo Riddick for that much. Samuels' cap hit is $1.2M. They spent that much on Michael Thomas.

Neat exercise. Shows there's good buzz about Armah and Moton even though Armah probably won't make the active roster. My one criticism is that they should have used the rookie rule on players from the last 3 or 4 drafts and only taken one player per round in those drafts. That would have forced some tougher decisions. Instead, they just used a ton of great players on rookie deals.

Edit: Even better, they could have taken one player from the same range of picks (1-10, 11-20, 21-32+compensatories) in each round.

Last edited:
True, but they finished with $1.7MM remaining. They could have upgraded a couple of spots with that.

Run_CMC highlight footage from our scrimmage with the Titans, for all those out there looking to add material to their spank bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back