• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Basketball Coaching Carousel (Matta out at Ohio State)

oh yeah. ok, obviously Winthrop has never come close to a (vacated) Final Four, but since that year, what has UMASS done?

I feel like they got an 11 seed (at large bid) with in the last 5 years. There is no question as to umass being a much better job than Winthrop. The tv deal with nbc sports, cbs sports and espn is huge.

I feel like they got an 11 seed (at large bid) with in the last 5 years. There is no question as to umass being a much better job than Winthrop. The tv deal with nbc sports, cbs sports and espn is huge.

2013-14 UMASS:

- Started the season 16-1
- Flirted with ten status in the polls
- #6 seed in the NCAA
- Upset by #11 Tennessee (who advanced to the Sweet 16)

After that season, UMASS went 17-15 and 14-18. Derek Kellogg was fired.

Coaches in the last 20 years:

- John Calapari
- Steve Lappas (fired)
- Travis Ford (left for OK State after back to back 20+ win seasons)
- Derek Kellogg (played at UMASS, was an assistant under Calapari)

Is there anybody besides Townie who thinks this is lateral? We can probably stop piling on.

Why do people type UConn and UMass in all caps? Have never understood that.

I had no idea UMass was in the A10. Since I started at Wake, UMass made the tournament once. Winthrop has made it six times. That was the extent of my knowledge of the situation.

I had no idea UMass was in the A10. Since I started at Wake, UMass made the tournament once. Winthrop has made it six times. That was the extent of my knowledge of the situation.

UMass is a founding member of the A-10.

2013-14 UMASS:

- Started the season 16-1
- Flirted with ten status in the polls
- #6 seed in the NCAA
- Upset by #11 Tennessee (who advanced to the Sweet 16)

After that season, UMASS went 17-15 and 14-18. Derek Kellogg was fired.

Coaches in the last 20 years:

- John Calapari
- Steve Lappas (fired)
- Travis Ford (left for OK State after back to back 20+ win seasons)
- Derek Kellogg (played at UMASS, was an assistant under Calapari)

You forgot Bruiser Flint.

"Upset" by Tennessee. Yeah nominally by seed. That's probably the worst seeding in recent NCAAT history - for both Tennessee and UMass.

"Upset" by Tennessee. Yeah nominally by seed. That's probably the worst seeding in recent NCAAT history - for both Tennessee and UMass.

This is an opportunity to propose we settle the UT conflict between Tennessee and Texas. It would be gracious of Tennessee fans to volunteer to go by "UTenn." That would settle this for good. University of Kansas fans are fine with KU even though it doesn't even make sense.

Pure gold.

love the scroll "Named America's Best Dressed Coach in 2005..."

inside-2006-07-1.JPG

inside-2006-07-2.JPG

inside-2.JPG

inside-4.JPG

inside-2006-07-3.JPG

flint200607biopic.JPG

This is an opportunity to propose we settle the UT conflict between Tennessee and Texas. It would be gracious of Tennessee fans to volunteer to go by "UTenn." That would settle this for good. University of Kansas fans are fine with KU even though it doesn't even make sense.

Also a toboggan is a sled.

Pure gold.

love the scroll "Named America's Best Dressed Coach in 2005..."

The Idris Elba of coaching.

Can't believe he's only 51. He was a head coach for 20 years.

That is some sort of an old big 12 thing. University of Missouri calls them selves MU, which is dumb and I never understood it. They should go with UTX and UTN.

Maybe because of jerseys? UCONN definitely does it like that, although looking at it now, the UMASS jerseys are in all caps, but have 3 levels of letter height (UMASS), so no idea.

Last edited:
Lou Roe was one of a young bmoney's basketball role models.

Back