• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Basketball Coaching Carousel (Matta out at Ohio State)

I wonder what JTIII does next. His two head coaching gigs - Princeton and Gtown - are pretty different programs.

Someone who has connections in the college basketball world just texted me that Georgetown is interested in Manning. I am a little surprised.

Ewing has basically been on the Manning coaching plan. He's been an assistant forever it seems.

I hope they go for Ewing. He's pretty high on the list of players I hated when they played but really appreciate now.

Ewing has basically been on the Manning coaching plan. He's been an assistant forever it seems.

I hope they go for Ewing. He's pretty high on the list of players I hated when they played but really appreciate now.

I feel EXACTLY the same way about Ewing.

Hoya message board says the early favorite is Tommy Amaker. Another rumored candidate is Ed Cooley at Providence (although it would be bad form to poach a coach from a school in the same conference). Also, one crazy rumor claims that Shaka Smart's agent has contacted G'town claiming that Shaka wants out of Texas (do not believe that one).

Amaker would be a good one. Not sure why Cooley would leave Providence for Georgetown. Recruiting territory I guess, but Rhode Island seems capable of supporting two tourney teams.

I don't think Smart to Georgetown is crazy. It puts him back on the East Coast. It gets him ahead of the axe. He simply may be more comfortable coaching at Georgetown and in DC than in Texas.

Amaker is from DC (Fairfax, Virginia). Think he would be a good fit at G'town, but there seems to be a movement among those on the G'town message board against Amaker (citing his lack of success at Michigan). G'town fans really have an elevated sense of a program that has been more lame than strong over recent years. The 80s are long gone.

BTW, G'town has a top 50 commit (PG) out of CT: Tremont Waters. He was offered by Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, Indiana and .... Wake Forest. Highest rated G'town commit in a while. He will be back on the market.

Feels like Amaker was at Michigan forever ago but he left only 10 years ago. I would assume fans would want Amaker or a longshot at Shaka before going with Ewing.

if K retired this summer (see the other thread), who would Duke hire? Amaker? Brey? Brad Stevens? Wes Miller?

if K retired this summer (see the other thread), who would Duke hire? Amaker? Brey? Brad Stevens? Wes Miller?

Duke people claim that Capel has been promised the job. Would be happy with that hire. Think there are better coaching candidates with Duke connections (Brey, Collins, Wojo).

Realize that he won't get a look because of the NCAA infractions at Missouri, but Quin Snyder has excelled with the Utah Jazz. He has the look:

jazz-quin-snyder_0.jpg

have-you-seen-this-boy-hayward.jpg

Duke people claim that Capel has been promised the job. Would be happy with that hire. Think there are better coaching candidates with Duke connections (Brey, Collins, Wojo).

Realize that he won't get a look because of the NCAA infractions at Missouri, but Quin Snyder has excelled with the Utah Jazz. He has the look:

jazz-quin-snyder_0.jpg

have-you-seen-this-boy-hayward.jpg

Snyder and Josh Pastner should do endorsement deals with Paul Mitchell.

Ernie Nestor retired today. Former Wake Asst. Spent the last five seasons at Navy.

Uh, is Pat Kelsey not taking over at UMass? They cancelled his initial press conference today.

Back