• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Football Coaching Carousel

Yeah, lets talking bout coaching searches instead of paying college football players for the millionth time.

If Fulmer hires Les Miles with Tee Martin as OC and coach in waiting, I'd say UT has gotten worse instead of better. Worse than Jones with the good recruiting he was doing, worse than Schiano, and worse than Leach.

I think Arkansas is going to end up with Mike Norvell from Memphis

Yeah, lets talking bout coaching searches instead of paying college football players for the millionth time.

If Fulmer hires Les Miles with Tee Martin as OC and coach in waiting, I'd say UT has gotten worse instead of better. Worse than Jones with the good recruiting he was doing, worse than Schiano, and worse than Leach.

At this point, I don't see any road map to Tenn being better off than they were before firing Jones. Leach would have done that IMO but that got blown up. Interested to see what actually ends up happening.

Gus Malzhan is from Arkansas and played at Arkansas (under Ken Hatfield - who Clemson fired after WF beat them); Auburn and Malzhan have had a tempestuous relationship. Malzhan may have moved over to Arkansas had Auburn lost to Alabama a week ago. The expectations for the Auburn job are ridiculous, particularly with Saban at Bama. Auburn's great run to end the season have kept Malzhan and Auburn together, but Malzhan is always one iffy season away from a coaching change.

Clemson co-offensive coordinator Tony Elliot has been mentioned in connection with the Arkansas job.

Matt Campbell signed for 6 years with Iowa State and nobody is going after Charlie Strong it seems. Tennessee looks like it forced itself into hiring a retired coach like Biff suggested. Les Miles or Mack Brown if he's interested. Norvell to Arkansas makes a lot of sense. Looks like the coordinator route again for FSU. Lane train stationed at FAU at the moment though.

Justified or not, Charlie Strong is probably going to need another year (or two) of success at USF before he gets looks for another big job.

I suspect Lane Kiffin is probably in a similar situation... He could jump to a slightly bigger stage, but any big-time program is probably going to want to see him put together another season at FAU before taking a risk given his history at UT & USC.

Sumlin seems like he'd be a great hire for UCF. Taggert a good fit at FSU, as well.

No clue about UT... I could see Miles/Brown, but neither hire seems particularly exciting. You could do worse, though.

Butch Jones was a horrific gameday coach. He recruited well, but so can plenty of coaches at UT. Just about anyone they hire will be a step-up from Jones on Saturdays.

Anyone that is not a Miles type of hire is going to have the shadow of Fulmer looming over them, waiting to take the reins at a moment's notice.

Currie and Haslam were joined at the hip and forced Fulmer out 10 years ago. He clearly got his revenge.

Strong and Kiffin are in different positions. Strong took over for a successful coach who got hired at Oregon. Kiffin took over for a guy nobody here can name who had three straight 3-9 seasons. If his name wasn't poison, he'd be getting more looks.

Strong and Kiffin are in different positions. Strong took over for a successful coach who got hired at Oregon. Kiffin took over for a guy nobody here can name who had three straight 3-9 seasons. If his name wasn't poison, he'd be getting more looks.

Strong's time at Louisville is better than Kiffin's time at USC.

I agree that they are different cases, for sure... The similarity was just that they'll likely be considered "hot" candidates this time next year (with another year of success).

I am a fan of Strong and think he got kind of a raw deal at Texas. Kiffin is an ass, but his success this year was eye-opening. They'll both get another shot... It just doesn't look like that'll happen this year.

Last edited:
Sounds like Taggart is heading to FSU

The time its taking to finalize this is scaring the sh*t out of me. We need to lock him up before we have our 8th commitment. Funny how Jimbo said we dont' have nice facilities when we had top 3 recruiting class every year and how his dealings with A&M last week wasn't hurting recruiting when we lost 7 commits. I don't care what our bldg looked like this year, it wouldn't have won more than 6 games with.

Because he was high profile, Kiffin was able to hire the Baylor OC (Kendall Briles) and other Power V coaching talent, and then, more importantly, Kiffin added either transfers or recruits that didn't qualify from Florida, FSU, Texas, Pitt, among others to the FAU roster. In total, Kiffin added 12 players that could play on a high Power V level. There are a lot of coaches that could win at FAU with high Power V conference talent and Power V assistant coaches; it wasn't a fair fight. This isn't a situation where a coach won big with lesser talent. FAU beat a bunch of crappy schools with a team stocked with talent. FWIW, I think Lane Kiffin is a solid coach, and love how he trolls Tennessee, but there are a lot of coaches that would've had the same or better record at FAU with the talent he infused into that program.

The time its taking to finalize this is scaring the sh*t out of me. We need to lock him up before we have our 8th commitment. Funny how Jimbo said we dont' have nice facilities when we had top 3 recruiting class every year and how his dealings with A&M last week wasn't hurting recruiting when we lost 7 commits. I don't care what our bldg looked like this year, it wouldn't have won more than 6 games with.

What exactly does Jimbo think is lacking in Tally facilities wise?

What exactly does Jimbo think is lacking in Tally facilities wise?

No gameroom. Seriously. Also, some administrative football offices. It's generally BS. FSU is not at a recruiting disadvantage to anyone.

Back