• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 College Football Coaching Carousel

Because he was high profile, Kiffin was able to hire the Baylor OC (Kendall Briles) and other Power V coaching talent, and then, more importantly, Kiffin added either transfers or recruits that didn't qualify from Florida, FSU, Texas, Pitt, among others to the FAU roster. In total, Kiffin added 12 players that could play on a high Power V level. There are a lot of coaches that could win at FAU with high Power V conference talent and Power V assistant coaches; it wasn't a fair fight. This isn't a situation where a coach won big with lesser talent. FAU beat a bunch of crappy schools with a team stocked with talent. FWIW, I think Lane Kiffin is a solid coach, and love how he trolls Tennessee, but there are a lot of coaches that would've had the same or better record at FAU with the talent he infused into that program.

I agree. He does well with castoffs. But I think he'd get more looks if his name wasn't poison with fans and boosters and likely ADs.

Seems like a college football coach with a gambling problem should be fired.

Lane Kiffin was given 3 of the top 50 coaching jobs in the country (Raiders/UT/USC) by the time he was 35, and failed at each of them

I think it's wise to have him prove himself a bit

Lane Kiffin was given 3 of the top 50 coaching jobs in the country (Raiders/UT/USC) by the time he was 35, and failed at each of them

I think it's wise to have him prove himself a bit

he didn't fail at Tennessee, he was hired away to USC

he succeeded enough to make USC want to make him their first post-Carroll coach

he succeeded enough to make USC want to make him their first post-Carroll coach

Or USC knew NCAA sanctions were coming and needed a coach that would be a reasonable sell to the fan base after Carroll bolted to the NFL.

Josh Heupel (Missouri OC) to UCF. Randy Shannon as DC.

Looks like Sumlin is holding out for Oregon.

Josh Heupel (Missouri OC) to UCF. Randy Shannon as DC.

Looks like Sumlin is holding out for Oregon.

That makes me feel old. I vividly remember cheering for Heupel over F$U for the national championship in 2000.

Jimbo is the very average guy who followed a retired sales legend. Numbers were great the first couple of years as the territory ran itself, but then attrition set in. Before he could be labeled as a mediocre member of the sales team, he left for a big guarantee at a start up rolling the dice on veteran salespeople.

Jimbo is the very average guy who followed a retired sales legend. Numbers were great the first couple of years as the territory ran itself, but then attrition set in. Before he could be labeled as a mediocre member of the sales team, he left for a big guarantee at a start up rolling the dice on veteran salespeople.

Except Bowden went 7-6, 7-6, 9-4, and 7-6 his last four years.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think it's interesting that Bob Stoops name hasn't been brought up at all (as best I can tell) regarding any of these high profile openings.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think it's interesting that Bob Stoops name hasn't been brought up at all (as best I can tell) regarding any of these high profile openings.

Could be a case of knowing that he isn't interested in coaching. If that's not the case I certainly think his name would've been at least mentioned.

Hate to break it to you, but Kliff Kingsbury has been a college head coach for 5 years.

Kingsbury, Frost, Fuente, Applewhite, Heupel. Which other 90s Big XII QBs are head coaches?

Kingsbury, Frost, Fuente, Applewhite, Heupel. Which other 90s Big XII QBs are head coaches?

Pretty much every QB that played at Texas Tech under Mike Leach is in coaching. Including OK HC Lincoln Riley (he was the Kingsbury's backup at Texas Tech).

Good call, Pilch. So that's 6.

Back