• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

I asked about that tonight, and was told this is the correct spelling.

Wake seems to think it is because that's how it's listed on all of the Wake tweets and roster. 116 hits on the Googs with that spelling in quotes. "Tayvon Bowers" on the other hand pulls up 4800+ hits including ESPN, Rivals, 247, Scout, and Hudl (don't the kids manage their own Hudl pages?), not to mention his Twitter page (Tayvon Bowers @tayvonbowers).

Strange if true. Seems like even if that is his birth name, no one including himself uses it. Dunno why Wake would insist on using it.

A funny comment from Clawson last night about Sage Surratt. Said he went to watch one of his basketball games recently where he scored 57 points and that he's one of the top scoring HS players in the country. Said he was a super multi-sport athlete. Then said that he'd let Danny Manning have Sage in the winter for basketball if Danny would let Clawson have John Collins for red zone defense. (I bet Collins could block some field goals too)

Lots of good info yesterday from the press conference and recruiting reception. Here are a few items that are top of mind:

They expect Zeek Rodney back, but Zeek has some things he needs to do on his end. Clawson said that he would be “the biggest recruit in the class” if he returns. Listening to Clawson, and trying to read between the lines, I’d guess that the likelihood that Rodney is on the roster this fall would be 80-90%.

Clawson explicitly discussed graduate transfers for the first time. He said that they would consider CB, LB and OL. However the player would need to be the right fit.

Clawson is interviewing candidates for the open linebacker position. Two candidates. One interview late this week. The other is early next week. They should be able to announce the hire shortly thereafter.

Hemphill will coach the safeties.

Hemphill will recruit DC/MD plus some other, smaller areas. Lineburg will recruit Charlotte, plus some other, smaller areas like SW Virginia.

It’s a possibility that Bowers will come in this fall and not grayshirt. It depends on how his rehab progresses.

I had some good conversations about Sawvel’s defensive scheme. My takeaways? It’s very similar to Elko’s, but there are differences. I couldn’t grasp some of those differences because they were beyond my football IQ. The question on the table is how much to transition this year and, not surprisingly, they haven’t yet made a lot of decisions on that front. They are in the process of evaluating the players and their capabilities and to some extent they will fit this year’s defense to the personnel. I understood that Sawvel’s ideal defense is also a 4-2-5 base (although interestingly no one called it that) but the “rover” position is replaced with a “nickel corner”. Very similar to the rover, but it sounded like he wants more coverage ability from that position and is maybe willing to sacrifice a little in run support. The challenge will be that our roster isn’t exactly stocked with cornerbacks at the moment. Troy Simon is a recruit that could fit at that nickel corner spot.

Last edited:
After hearing Clawson talk about Bowers and reading some more about him, I'm pretty positive about his future.
Being rated the #1 QB in PA is a pretty big deal. It's a shame he got hurt, but if he didn't, he may not have ended up at Wake.

After hearing Clawson talk about Bowers and reading some more about him, I'm pretty positive about his future.
Being rated the #1 QB in PA is a pretty big deal. It's a shame he got hurt, but if he didn't, he may not have ended up at Wake.

He committed to Wake well before his injury.

I thought it was interesting that he was coached by Clawson's former BG QB. I was shocked that guy was not on a roster in the NFL somewhere. He was really good.

Love that Grobe/Lobo mentality. I'll never forget Lobo telling that NSD story of how one of his commits got hurt and they celebrated bc now nobody would try and flip that commit. What a loser.

Deac94, I hate to say it, but it might be time to start the 2018 Crootin' Thread. It's your honor.

Lots of good info yesterday from the press conference and recruiting reception. Here are a few items that are top of mind:

They expect Zeek Rodney back, but Zeek has some things he needs to do on his end. Clawson said that he would be “the biggest recruit in the class” if he returns. Listening to Clawson, and trying to read between the lines, I’d guess that the likelihood that Rodney is on the roster this fall would be 80-90%.

Clawson explicitly discussed graduate transfers for the first time. He said that they would consider CB, LB and OL. However the player would need to be the right fit.

Clawson is interviewing candidates for the open linebacker position. Two candidates. One interview late this week. The other is early next week. They should be able to announce the hire shortly thereafter.

Hemphill will coach the safeties.

Hemphill will recruit DC/MD plus some other, smaller areas. Lineburg will recruit Charlotte, plus some other, smaller areas like SW Virginia.

It’s a possibility that Bowers will come in this fall and not grayshirt. It depends on how his rehab progresses.

I had some good conversations about Sawvel’s defensive scheme. My takeaways? It’s very similar to Elko’s, but there are differences. I couldn’t grasp some of those differences because they were beyond my football IQ. The question on the table is how much to transition this year and, not surprisingly, they haven’t yet made a lot of decisions on that front. They are in the process of evaluating the players and their capabilities and to some extent they will fit this year’s defense to the personnel. I understood that Sawvel’s ideal defense is also a 4-2-5 base (although interestingly no one called it that) but the “rover” position is replaced with a “nickel corner”. Very similar to the rover, but it sounded like he wants more coverage ability from that position and is maybe willing to sacrifice a little in run support. The challenge will be that our roster isn’t exactly stocked with cornerbacks at the moment. Troy Simon is a recruit that could fit at that nickel corner spot.

Not sure I love that change in the rover position personally, but I guess it makes sense given the pass happy nature CFB in general and the ACC in particular. I could just be having flashbacks of getting gashed in that old 3-3-5 Grobe used to run. I loved that our defense was able to be so successful against the run the last year or two. Definitely made it difficult for opponents. As long as we continue to be stout in the DL, we should be ok. Puts more pressure on the two true LBs though.

Deac94, I hate to say it, but it might be time to start the 2018 Crootin' Thread. It's your honor.

If people want a 2018 thread I'm happy to start one today. Let me think about whether there is anything useful that I can put in the OP. I'm not going to follow it quite as closely until May. I learned last year that Wake recruiting doesn't really heat up until late spring / early summer. But I guess that we need a place to discuss visitors this spring etc.

Not sure I love that change in the rover position personally, but I guess it makes sense given the pass happy nature CFB in general and the ACC in particular. I could just be having flashbacks of getting gashed in that old 3-3-5 Grobe used to run. I loved that our defense was able to be so successful against the run the last year or two. Definitely made it difficult for opponents. As long as we continue to be stout in the DL, we should be ok. Puts more pressure on the two true LBs though.

I share your concern. The best pass defense is one that pressures the QB. That is also one which is able to stuff the run. We need to force offenses to be one dimensional as much as possible. I fear that we will be more vulnerable to the run and less able to pressure the QB. But we have smart coaches. They will figure it out.

If people want a 2018 thread I'm happy to start one today. Let me think about whether there is anything useful that I can put in the OP. I'm not going to follow it quite as closely until May. I learned last year that Wake recruiting doesn't really heat up until late spring / early summer. But I guess that we need a place to discuss visitors this spring etc.

IN

I share your concern. The best pass defense is one that pressures the QB. That is also one which is able to stuff the run. We need to force offenses to be one dimensional as much as possible. I fear that we will be more vulnerable to the run and less able to pressure the QB. But we have smart coaches. They will figure it out.

Not sure we would be less able to pressure the QB. Adding that nickel corner gives you more opportunity to disguise coverages and blitz packages without being too vulnerable to deep throws. Gotta have speed at DB to get to the QB in time though.

It would be great to inventory 18 offers, camps and visits that are already out there. As Clawson has said, their recruiting is a 2/3 year process at minimum.

Not sure we would be less able to pressure the QB. Adding that nickel corner gives you more opportunity to disguise coverages and blitz packages without being too vulnerable to deep throws. Gotta have speed at DB to get to the QB in time though.

Can someone explain to me the difference between what would be our 4-2-5 with a nickel corner vs. the Panthers 4-3 with a nickel corner? Obviously 3 linebackers in a 4-3 but I think at time the panthers either play 2 linebackers or have the 3rd linebacker act as what we had with Thomas Brown (rover). Just curious what the exact differences are because the panthers are known for their exotic blitz patterns that may have a direct correlation to using a nickel corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did Sawvel's defense do against the run last year? I know that he was great against the pass. Just wondering if it is all about priority and if you genuinely have to sacrifice one for the other or if you can be just a legitimately good defense against both the pass and run with this system.

How did Sawvel's defense do against the run last year? I know that he was great against the pass. Just wondering if it is all about priority and if you genuinely have to sacrifice one for the other or if you can be just a legitimately good defense against both the pass and run with this system.

Minnesota's defense was the team strength last year. The Gophers ranked #106 in the country in offense, and #23 on defense. Their rushing defense was ranked #14 in the nation (3.38 ypc/124 ypg). Minnesota had the #2 rushing D in the Big 10.

Minnesota's defense was the team strength last year. The Gophers ranked #106 in the country in offense, and #23 on defense. Their rushing defense was ranked #14 in the nation (3.38 ypc/124 ypg). Minnesota had the #2 rushing D in the Big 10.

That's encouraging.

Back