• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

Taylor Powell was the MVP at Elite 11 New Orleans. He told an interviewer that he plans a spring decision and is considering Vandy, Maryland, Wake and Purdue. It will be interesting to see if he draws any more offers following his performance over the weekend.

Cfyfm2OWsAAwPc3.jpg

David Shaw don't play.

That David Shaw quote gets a "wow". I laughed out loud when I read that.

CB Troy Simon says that Cal and Wake are his top 2 right now. He has been to Wake 3 times and appears to be a Wake-lean. He was the surprise DB MVP of The Opening in Atlanta. Same HS as Tyler Watson.

CB Yusuf Corker no longer lists Wake in his top 5. So that dream seems to be dead.

All eyes continue to be on the recruitment of QB Taylor Powell, but there was a newspaper report that Wake has a high level of interest in Tayvon Bowers (Harrisburg, PA). I suspect that Bowers, who does not have a Wake offer, may be on the short list if Powell goes elsewhere. Bowers is also in the running at Rutgers.

Caleb Farley committed to VT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tommy DeVito committed to Syracuse.

It seems certain that more offers will need to be made if things don't work out with Taylor Powell.

Here is a closer look at the WR board. The Wake staff has been very actively recruiting this position as you can tell by the number of recruits on the Board. After loading up on smaller, inside type receivers in the past two cycles, it would seem like the goal this cycle would be to add WRs with size to fortify the outside WR positions.

Since arriving at Wake Forest, Clawson has landed three receivers with more than one other P5 offer: Steven Claude (6 other P5 offers), Scotty Washington (3 other P5 offers) and Greg Dortch (2 other P5 offers). The other five WRs (Alex Bachman, Chucky Wade, Tabari Hines, Jeremiah Brown, Malik Grate) all had either zero or one other P5 offer.

wi7t4k.jpg

2017 Targets (all heights/weights are from The Opening combine unless noted as “unofficial”)

Chad Terrell – Unofficially 6’3/205. Recently named a top 4 of Ole Miss, South Carolina, Vanderbilt and Wake Forest. I think there is a very good chance that he ends up in the SEC. I think Ole Miss or Vanderbilt are the most likely destinations. Deac94 Crystal Ball: Ole Miss.

Emeka Emezie – Emezie said recently that Wake Forest is recruiting him the hardest. N.C. State is the heavy favorite in his recruitment. He’s visited there at least 4 times already. This is the prediction that I feel the most confident about. Deac94 Crystal Ball: NC State.

MJ Jarrell (6’2 / 183) – MJ Jarrell wasn’t considered to be a P5 until prospect until he opened some eyes at The Opening Orlando with a SPARQ combine score of 111. Has a very solid highlight tape as well. Wake Forest was the first P5 to offer (March 31), but since then he has added Virginia Tech, Maryland, N.C. State, Iowa State, Duke and Indiana. He’ll head to Maryland for a visit this weekend and for some reason the Terps are very confident. I’ll make that my prediction. Deac94 Crystal Ball: Maryland.

Josh Johnson (5’10 / 170) – He said recently that Illinois, Boston College and Vanderbilt contacted him the most but his best connections were with Kansas State, Boston College and Illinois. I took from those comments that Johnson, who probably projects as an inside receiver, might not be a top target for Wake. However, he’s visited Wake since he made those comments. Deac94 Crystal Ball: unclear.

Noah Igbinoghene – He has been making lots of headlines recently, but all in track and field. In March he won the Boys National Indoor Championship in the triple jump (49-feet, 7 inches). His football recruitment has basically been placed on hold but I think he’ll explode once he starts taking visits. He’s a high upside guy for sure. He’s passed up opportunities to visit places like Auburn. Deac94 Crystal Ball: unclear.

Khalil Newton (6’1 / 178) – It’s difficult to tell where his recruitment stands. Wake reportedly offered back in October. While most other players with P5 offers have since filled up their offers sheets with MAC or Sun Belt offers, Newton has only picked up one offer since January (Miami of Ohio). So he’s really off the regional recruiting radar right now. Deac94 Crystal Ball: unclear.

Justin Gibbs (6’2 / 178) – Mississippi State is the acknowledged leader for Gibbs. Which direction his recruitment goes likely depends on whether his 2015 offer from Mississippi State remains committable. If the Bulldogs are out of the picture, then Gibbs would likely be looking at recent offers from Wake Forest, Illinois, Cincinnati, Miami (OH) and Tulane. His recent visit to Wake is very intriguing because he hasn’t visited many schools (I think Georgia Southern and Mississippi State were his only other visits so far). He’s flown under the radar for a recruit with a 5.7 grade from Rivals. I think he might be a real possibility for Wake, but for now I’ll say that the Deac94 Crystal Ball remains unclear.

Chris Pierce - Offered just last week. I’m not sure that he is being recruited as a WR, although that is my best guess. Unofficially 6’4 / 210. In addition to WR, he’s played some TE, LB, S and DE for his high school team. Virginia offered him as a LB. He has a 3.68 GPA. He’s definitely one for Wake fans to keep an eye on, but for now the Deac94 Crystal Ball is unclear.

Austin Williams (6’3 / 206) – Probably the most interesting recruit on the WR board. Had a massive SPARQ combine performance (overall score of 112 was the 12 highest out of over 300 recruits). Some 247 writers like Barton Simmons have been pounding the table that he is underrated. Scout just named him one of 5 sleepers to know from The Opening Regionals in New Orleans. To top it off, he’s a strong kid academically and has offers from Harvard and Yale to prove it. The upside seems really big here, and it will be an interesting test to see if Wake can pull in a kid from Mississippi. It’s a good sign that he’s made the trip to Winston-Salem once already. Deac94 Crystal Ball: unclear

Jaquarii Roberson – He’s a bit of a mystery to me. I’ve only included him because of a March article that said that Wake had offered. I think he will end up at N.C. State or ECU, but I think Wake could get into contention if they make him a priority. Deac94 Crystal Ball: NCSU

Nike Combine Results - Shuttle Times
Austin Williams 4.07
Khalil Newton 4.24
Josh Johnson 4.30
MJ Jarrell 4.32

Nike Combine Results - Vertical Jump
Austin Williams 38.3
MJ Jarrell 37.6
Khalil Newton 36.0
Josh Johnson 30.9

Summary: Getting 2 of Austin Williams, Justin Gibbs and Chris Pierce look like the realistic best case scenario at this point (assuming Pierce is indeed a WR). Two of those recruits (Williams and Gibbs) also hold Mississippi State offers, so the outcome would appear to depend in part on which direction the Bulldogs go at the WR position. WR is a deep position and I wouldn’t rule out some significant new offers either.

...and as soon as I posted that^ I saw that Austin Williams committed to Mississippi State. Just like that. LOL.

nothing screams academics like starkvegas

Just enough time to get my hopes up after reading about him.

Maybe the Austin Williams to Mississippi st. Will help us with Justin Gibbs. Wonder how many WR they are looking to take.

Back