• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

That account has two followers at the moment and a dozen tweets. Probably shouldn't be taken seriously.

JUCO? I wonder how we got that to work. I'm surprised Clawson got that by Wellman's culture control.

I had always assumed that the lack of JUCO recruiting was due to how hard it is to get credits to transfer over--an academic thing more than having to do with athletics

I mean anyone can make anything up. I've seen family members make up offers and report about it. That same account just reported Clinkscales has a top 5 of Alabama, Texas, ND, OSU, and Florida. It has two tweets about recruiting ever. A bit sketchy

I had always assumed that the lack of JUCO recruiting was due to how hard it is to get credits to transfer over--an academic thing more than having to do with athletics

While it is difficult to transfer into Wake due to the credits issue (I lost 60+ credits when I transfered), there is (or at least was in the mid 00s) an unjust extra step for athletes. For them to come in to play, they have to have been academically eligible to get into Wake straight from high school, no matter what their academic record at juco was. I don't know if that was in place from the BoT or from the AD, but it's an asinine rule.

While it is difficult to transfer into Wake due to the credits issue (I lost 60+ credits when I transfered), there is (or at least was in the mid 00s) an unjust extra step for athletes. For them to come in to play, they have to have been academically eligible to get into Wake straight from high school, no matter what their academic record at juco was. I don't know if that was in place from the BoT or from the AD, but it's an asinine rule.

That is still the case, which is why there are virtually no JuCo players who even consider Wake. These two factors have killed Wake baseball.

What comes next in football recruiting? Are we in a live period? Dead period? Are coaches on the road? Taking vacations? Who might be next to commit?

What comes next in football recruiting? Are we in a live period? Dead period? Are coaches on the road? Taking vacations? Who might be next to commit?

The spring eval period started on Friday of last week, so coaches are on the road covering their respective recruiting territories.

Based on the level of offer activity I continue to believe that OL, DT, outside WR and DB are the biggest priorities in terms of numbers. If you go back in the thread I've covered cornerback and wide receiver thoroughly and that info is still more or less current. Most attention is on the QB though where we continue to wait on Taylor Powell's decision.

I now consider Jordan Williams to be an extreme longshot, meaning that Mike Allen is probably the only 4-star remaining on my board. WRs Justin Gibbs and Emeka Emezie are the only 5.7 three stars left if I remember correctly.

I am hearing that Germane Crowell is most likely to end up at either VT or UVA, but he plays things so close to the vest that I wouldn't completely count out Wake, Duke or NCSU yet. Look for a decision in the next few weeks.

There were a number of new 247 Crystal Ball predictions for Chase Monroe to Kentucky. While LB isn't a huge position of need right now that will be depressing to lose out on Cade Carney's teammate after Wake had a big early lead in his recruitment.

The charts at the top of the OP in this thread are more or less current. If there is a guy or two you are interested in just ask.

Thanks 94! Although I wish the Williams' news were different, I am confident the staff is doing all they can. Thanks for all you do!

Thanks 94! Although I wish the Williams' news were different, I am confident the staff is doing all they can. Thanks for all you do!

On Williams my pessimistic nature is probably playing into that, but I think Clemson and Tennessee are probably going to be tough to overcome.

I think that the staff is doing a good job of setting up their board with both high-end and realistic targets. This can be a discouraging time as some recruits that Wake has been recruiting for months are starting to get swallowed up by the elite programs, but it's the nature of the business IMO.

It's interesting to note that this time last year Wake had 4 commits for the '16 class. That's exactly how many Wake has now for 2017. By the end of May last year the class was up to 8. We will see if the pattern holds this year.

Cfyfm2OWsAAwPc3.jpg

Fuck stanford.

On Williams my pessimistic nature is probably playing into that, but I think Clemson and Tennessee are probably going to be tough to overcome.

I think that the staff is doing a good job of setting up their board with both high-end and realistic targets. This can be a discouraging time as some recruits that Wake has been recruiting for months are starting to get swallowed up by the elite programs, but it's the nature of the business IMO.

It's interesting to note that this time last year Wake had 4 commits for the '16 class. That's exactly how many Wake has now for 2017. By the end of May last year the class was up to 8. We will see if the pattern holds this year.

Grobie seemed to collect LB, while Clawson seems to like a lot of WR around him. I hope our focus is along the 2 lines, some LB's and DB's.

All eyes continue to be on the recruitment of QB Taylor Powell, but there was a newspaper report that Wake has a high level of interest in Tayvon Bowers (Harrisburg, PA). I suspect that Bowers, who does not have a Wake offer, may be on the short list if Powell goes elsewhere. Bowers is also in the running at Rutgers.

Wake offered Bowers today.

As WakeForestRanger noted Wake has offered 2017 QB Tayvon Bowers (Harrisburg, PA). The obvious question is whether Bowers could commit and jump in front of Taylor Powell. My guess is that he could, but there's really no way to tell for sure. Bowers other P5 offer is Rutgers (where I believe he is still in contention for that spot).

Bowers is (unofficially) 6'2 /215. 3,560 yards and 42 TDs last season. GPA is "near 4.0". Bowers is unranked on Rivals and also not ranked by qbhitlist.com.

To my knowledge he hasn't competed in Elite 11 yet this year. That is not surprising given that the Elite 11 camps are just now moving north.

Back