• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

I really don't care where kids are from if they can play, but a) good to see us focusing on talent rich GA and b) anyone surprised we don't target SC more? Particularly with the new emphasis on proximity?

I really don't care where kids are from if they can play, but a) good to see us focusing on talent rich GA and b) anyone surprised we don't target SC more? Particularly with the new emphasis on proximity?

Georgia has more than twice the population of SC - slightly less than 5 million vs over 10 million for GA. SC has two BCS schools that recruit very strongly in state. Georgia has one that is strong in state and a second that isn't as big a draw. Thus, more available talent and less competition in GA.

Also don't the other NC schools recruit heavily in SC?

Clemson and SC are doing better than UGa and GT anyway.

Deaconblue is right that a lot of this is population driven, especially when it comes to having large metro areas that have high-quality high school football. If you took the entire Atlanta metro area out of Georgia it would look a lot like South Carolina from a talent perspective. However I do think it is largely a myth that South Carolina is talent-rich. I also think it will be very difficult for South Carolina and Clemson to BOTH play at a top 20 level over the long-term.

Wake does recruit actively in South Carolina though. The latest round of charts happens to come at a time when I’ve recently moved WR Austin Connor (Irmo, SC) and S Lummie Young (Anderson, SC) off my board because there is mounting evidence that both are out of reach (both are expected to end up at either South Carolina or Duke, although the speedster Connor is continuing to add offers). Both have visited Wake though.

Here are some quantitative comparisons between GA, NC and SC to aid the discussion:

Players Rated 5.6 or Higher (2016 class)
Georgia 76
North Carolina 38
South Carolina 15

Players Committing to P5 Programs (2016 class)
Georgia 116
North Carolina 50
South Carolina 18

94, thanks for backing up my position. Everybody in SC is either Clemson or USCar. They are 1 and 1A, take your pick as to which is which. Not much left when kids grow up thinking that way.

In Georgia, there are Georgia people, but there are also a lot who are sorta meh, without a strong in-state allegiance. GATech is a clear number 2, with non P5 schools taking up the rest. Plenty of room for out of state schools to find some good players.

Deaconblue is right that a lot of this is population driven, especially when it comes to having large metro areas that have high-quality high school football. If you took the entire Atlanta metro area out of Georgia it would look a lot like South Carolina from a talent perspective. However I do think it is largely a myth that South Carolina is talent-rich. I also think it will be very difficult for South Carolina and Clemson to BOTH play at a top 20 level over the long-term.

Wake does recruit actively in South Carolina though. The latest round of charts happens to come at a time when I’ve recently moved WR Austin Connor (Irmo, SC) and S Lummie Young (Anderson, SC) off my board because there is mounting evidence that both are out of reach (both are expected to end up at either South Carolina or Duke, although the speedster Connor is continuing to add offers). Both have visited Wake though.

Here are some quantitative comparisons between GA, NC and SC to aid the discussion:

Georgia 76
North Carolina 38
South Carolina 15

Georgia 116
North Carolina 50
South Carolina 18

Good comparison.

GA is loaded.
NC and SC have some good talent, but both states combined don't have the talent that GA has.
In fact, I'd bet that the talent in a 50 mile radius of Atlanta has the same as NC + SC.

Atlanta metro area meets the distance criteria- about 5 hours to Wake, depending on where exactly the starting point is. Doable, but rough for a day trip. Not bad at all for a weekend. Late afternoon/ early evening games would be great for this. Leave Atl around 7 or 8 am Sat am, reach Wake around noon - 1 pm. Tailgate until 3 pm game. Spend the night. Nice drive back to Atl on Sunday.

Dmitri Emmanuel (Waxhaw, NC) won OL MVP at The Opening-Charlotte yesterday. My impression is that Wake might have a slight lead in his recruitment.

Another athlete to keep an eye on is Tye Freeland three star with a few other p5 offers (Syracuse, Virginia). Played WR and safety. According to 247 article on April 22nd, we appear to be in the lead over Syracuse and Virginia.

Great call Richardwfu. I actually had him on my list until this weekend. The only reason I took him off was that his recruitment has been so quiet that I had no idea what was going on. It's also an old offer and I've never been able to determine which side of the ball Wake was recruiting him for. However he's had some good reviews at Rivals Camp and he had a very good combine performance yesterday while reaffiming that Wake leads. He's been working out as a WR, so when I update the charts that's where I will put him. Still not as much info about him as most other recruits though.

I'm getting a little nervous about our chances of landing Trey Creamer. Now that he has the WVU offer, his crootin' may start taking off a bit. This kid is a true diamond in the rough.

Georgia 76
North Carolina 38
South Carolina 15

Georgia 116
North Carolina 50
South Carolina 18

Great comparison. Can you throw VA in there as well? I'm convinced why we don't have more kids from SC.

Great comparison. Can you throw VA in there as well? I'm convinced why we don't have more kids from SC.

Sure. Here you go. I also added Tennessee for additional reference.

Georgia 76
North Carolina 38
Virginia 23
Tennessee 21
South Carolina 15

Georgia 116
North Carolina 50
Virginia 47
Tennessee 22
South Carolina 18

For some reason Virginia had significantly more players with ratings < 5.6 go P5 (24 to be exact). I'm not sure why that would be. Either players from Virginia are underrated or that state is over-recruited.

Perhaps over-recruited? How much to MD and WVU recruit from VA?

Sure. Here you go. I also added Tennessee for additional reference.

Georgia 76
North Carolina 38
Virginia 23
Tennessee 21
South Carolina 15

Georgia 116
North Carolina 50
Virginia 47
Tennessee 22
South Carolina 18

For some reason Virginia had significantly more players with ratings < 5.6 go P5 (24 to be exact). I'm not sure why that would be. Either players from Virginia are underrated or that state is over-recruited.

Great stuff 94, thanks! I would not have guessed TN would rank higher than SC for talent. I guess the Memphis area produces a decent number of good players.

Perhaps over-recruited? How much to MD and WVU recruit from VA?

Here's where the players in VA ranked < 5.6 ended up:

UVA: 8
VT: 5
Wake: 4
Clemson: 2
Vandy: 2
Other: 3

New Scout interview with Madison Cone gave me the impression that Wake isn't involved at all. I'd be interested to know which side backed off. He has four schools that contact him the most and Wake is not one. He also went over the schools he plans to visit and didn't mention Wake. I may cross him off my list altogether.

that seems kind of nuts. Madison Cone is a great Triad name

Back