• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

Saw on Twitter that Christian Beal had the fastest 40 at a Shrine Bowl combine. 4.37. I assume that had to be hand timed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bud recruiting karma??? Our basketball and football teams have been on the decline to rock bottom since we won the ACC Championship in football in 2006.

Bzz killed my basketball karma-- was not that strong in football.

Saw on Twitter that Christian Beal had the fastest 40 at a Shrine Bowl combine. 4.37. I assume that had to be hand timed.

Even if it's hand timed........that's fast

The Old Dominion camp that Wake Forest will attend is actually the one co-hosted by Michigan. http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/football/wake-forest-coming-to-odu-satellite-football-camp/article_65bfb00e-e83c-5d8c-bc82-f097860c00b6.html

The article says that Michigan had the ability to reject any other schools attending their camp, but didn't object to Wake. ODU is requiring all of the schools to send at least 5 coaches.

Wake Forest has their own camps in Winston-Salem on Friday and Saturday before travelling to ODU on Sunday. So at least some coaches will be going back-to-back-to-back.

The ODU camp remains the only satellite camp that Wake has been reported to be attending. At least so far.

In other camp news, Jamal Riggins will reportedly attend Michigan's satellite camp in Fort Lauderdale. That event will also be attended by coaches from Syracuse, Pitt and Maryland.

Last edited:
A couple of quick notes:

Wake was officially eliminated by top DE Jordan Williams. Williams is moving forward with Clemson, Tennessee, UVA, Ohio State and Virginia Tech as his final five schools. It's been clear for a while that Wake wasn't receiving strong consideration from Williams, but the Deacs certainly did remain in the picture for a while.

Tre Harbison (from Shelby and one-time Wake target who is transferring from UVA) is mostly hearing from Northern Illinois and Eastern Kentucky. It's a shame that he is transferring when he is. It is a tough time for teams to find room for a 4-year transfer, and especially a RB. The Eastern Kentucky option is probably receiving consideration because he would be immediately eligible.

The Old Dominion camp that Wake Forest will attend is actually the one co-hosted by Michigan. http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/football/wake-forest-coming-to-odu-satellite-football-camp/article_65bfb00e-e83c-5d8c-bc82-f097860c00b6.html

The article says that Michigan had the ability to reject any other schools attending their camp, but didn't object to Wake. ODU is requiring all of the schools to send at least 5 coaches.

Wake Forest has their own camps in Winston-Salem on Friday and Saturday before travelling to ODU on Sunday. So at least some coaches will be going back-to-back-to-back.

The ODU camp remains the only satellite camp that Wake has been reported to be attending. At least so far.

In other camp news, Jamal Riggins will reportedly attend Michigan's satellite camp in Fort Lauderdale. That event will also be attended by coaches from Syracuse, Pitt and Maryland.

Harbaugh is not rejecting us; do we take that as a compliment or an insult?

In all seriousness hope the camps bear some fruit.

Harbaugh is not rejecting us; do we take that as a compliment or an insult?

In all seriousness hope the camps bear some fruit.

I would not walk across the street to see Harbaugh. He is the most classless coach in all of sports. I hope we do nothing with him and his bad name.

The Michigan satellite camp in Indianapolis got a lot of coverage from 247 (which I think is Harbaugh's real goal with these camps). Harbaugh was praised for donning an Andrew Luck jersey and getting personally involved in every drill - coaching up kid after kid even though most have no hope of ever being a Big 10 level recruit. It would be interesting to compare he and Clawson on the field on Sunday. My perception of Clawson is that he would be just as involved in the drills - I think Clawson loves the instruction aspect of coaching. I can't see him donning an Andrew Luck jersey though.

The ODU camp should be a big one from an attendance perspective. I know that they had to cut off enrollment this year. ODU made the mistake last year of not limiting enrollment for the camp that they co-hosted with Michigan and if I remember correctly they had over 1,000 kids show up.

Harbaugh showed up in his Atlanta satellite camp wearing a Hank Aaron jersey with Hank Aaron who spoke to the campers.

I think Clawson would show up to a camp wearing a jersey of a player he coached who played for the local team. Can't see why not.

Wake Forest will have coaches on hand for a camp in suburban Atlanta on June 13. The other schools attending will be Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Georgia Tech, North Carolina State, Michigan, Maryland, and Miami (Fla.)

Wake Forest will have coaches on hand for a camp in suburban Atlanta on June 13. The other schools attending will be Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Georgia Tech, North Carolina State, Michigan, Maryland, and Miami (Fla.)

Pretty good company.....

There's got to be some epic cock blocking going on at these things.

WakeForestRanger beat me to it. Wake has also been added to independently-run camps in Nashville, TN and Stockbridge, GA. The Nashville event will also have guest coaches from Vanderbilt, Alabama and Mississippi State. The Stockbridge camp is one of the largest in terms of the number of schools sending coaches – every SEC school except LSU will be represented, plus five other ACC schools in addition to Wake Forest.

Here’s the schedule that I have so far.
June 3: Wake Forest Camp
June 4: Wake Forest Camp
June 5: Old Dominion Camp (w/ Michigan)
June 5: Nashville, TN
June 8: Wake Forest Camp
June 9: Stockbridge, GA
June 13: Buford, GA
June 15: Wake Forest Camp
June 17: Wake Forest Camp
July 15: Wake Forest Camp
July 16: Wake Forest Camp

With camp season starting today, some notes and reminders about the importance of these camps:

1. It’s VERY possible that no P5 team in the country will accept more commitments from prospects who received offers based on their camp performance (as a side note, if more players knew this I’d bet attendance would increase significantly).

2. Last year 100% of new offers extended to camp attendees eventually led to a commitment (7 offers and 7 commitments – based entirely on my recollection).

3. These camps aren’t just important for recruits looking for offers. It’s also chance for kids with offers to move up the staff’s board, so we could see the pace of commitments pick up. Altogether 16 of the 21 recruits in the 2016 class participated in these camps.

4. Some of the offers extended will likely be greyshirt offers, but we won’t know which ones.

5. In Clawson’s first year many offers were extended throughout the camp process. Last year there were very few extended until all of the camps were completed.

6. While there will be a lot of news about satellite camp participation, I don’t think they will be much of a factor. Wake may be sending as few as 1-2 coaches to some of these events. The ODU camp remains the most interesting so far given the report that at least 5 coaches will attend and the likelihood of a very strong turnout, however the most significant camps should remain the on-campus ones.

7. OL, WR, CB and DT continue to appear to be the top priorities.

8. Watch for key targets who plan overnight stays during this time (combining camp participation with an extended unofficial visit), starting with Trey Creamer tonight and tomorrow. Those longer visits are important.

Back