• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

New commits will be sitting behind guys that Clawson went out and got himself, so why not go for talented athletes who are not good football players yet. Positions of need or of little depth should be filled with the best football players we can get right now.

I forgot to mention that Jamal Riggins had an INT and a sack in his spring game. He then tweeted a pic showing him making a W sign with his hands and the caption “throwing up the W #GoDeacs”.

There has been some misreporting of his offer sheet, but I believe he does have legit offers from South Carolina, UNC, Southern Cal, LSU, Indiana, West Virginia and Mississippi State.

If he’s not everyone’s favorite commit in this class so far, I’m not sure what I’m missing.

New commits will be sitting behind guys that Clawson went out and got himself, so why not go for talented athletes who are not good football players yet. Positions of need or of little depth should be filled with the best football players we can get right now.

I agree with this and also think that reaching the heights that Clawson wants to reach will involve connecting on a few of these home run swings. However the combo of redshirting freshman and having too many recruiting misses would lead to a devastating lack of depth (similar to what we experienced post-Grobe). So how many home run swings to take is what they have to manage.

As a side note, I enjoyed watching Loic Nya's lacrosse highlights on his Hudl page. I would encourage each of you to not play lacrosse against that guy.

FYI - Wake now has an OFFICIAL football recruiting Twitter account: @WF_FBRecruiting.

here is who Wake overlaps with most often for the remaining 34 recruits:

Boston College: 12 recruits
Syracuse: 9
Rutgers: 8
NCSU: 8
Illinois: 7
Kentucky: 7
Mississippi State, Iowa State, Indiana and Maryland: 6 recruits each

With Wake pushing harder into Alabama and Georgia it is no surprise that we see some of the same schools that Wake overlapped with two years ago. There are number of northern schools that are trying to make inroads into some of the areas with deeper talent pools. Boston College always seems to top this list each year as they make a number of offers in the South - but usually don’t end up landing any. If Wake can win battles against northern schools like BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, Illinois, Iowa State and Indiana then it seems like Wake should be in good shape.

It is also interesting to note which schools don’t appear on the list. Other than the battles for the aforementioned Jarrell, Allen, Twyman, Dimukeje and Blackwell, it doesn’t seem like Duke (3 recruits), Virginia (2 recruits) and Virginia Tech (0 recruits) will be major factors. Vanderbilt (4 recruits) and Georgia Tech (4 recruits) also don’t show up as much as one might have thought.

Interesting--good stuff.

I forgot to mention that Jamal Riggins had an INT and a sack in his spring game. He then tweeted a pic showing him making a W sign with his hands and the caption “throwing up the W #GoDeacs”.

There has been some misreporting of his offer sheet, but I believe he does have legit offers from South Carolina, UNC, Southern Cal, LSU, Indiana, West Virginia and Mississippi State.

If he’s not everyone’s favorite commit in this class so far, I’m not sure what I’m missing.

If all true, wow. When was the last time we landed a player with an offer sheet like that?

Since the NCAA reversed course and decided to allow satellite camps I’ve kept an eye out to see how colleges would respond. What has emerged has been a hodgepodge of different formats in what looks like it will amount to an experimental year with colleges and independent groups trying out various approaches. Here are a few interesting examples:

Michigan will participate in 38 satellite camps, including Hawaii, Australia and American Samoa. They will host some camps, and either co-host or participate in others.

Tennessee will host a “Big Man Camp” (open only to OLs and DLs) at the high school of their top OL target.

Since much of the attention has been on Big 10 schools getting access to recruits in the South it was interesting to see that Ohio State will grant access to their camps in Columbus to schools like Rutgers and TCU. My guess is that access was part of a barter exchange that will get Ohio State coaches into camps at Rutgers and TCU.

More strange bedfellows: the camp in Georgia that UGA and Michigan are co-hosting on June 2 will now include coaches from Georgia Tech, South Carolina, Miami, Oklahoma State and Pitt.

Some “mega-camps” are being organized and keep growing and growing. There will be so many coaches and recruits at some of these events that it remains to be seen whether anything productive can be accomplished. A Michigan-sponsored mega camp in Paramus, NJ closed registration after 600 high school players enrolled. That camp will have 80 college coaches from 40 schools in 10 different states. An independently-organized camp in Georgia on June 9-10 is advertising that it will have coaches from over 80 different schools including Georgia, Alabama, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Georgia Tech, Tennessee, Auburn, Texas A&M, Florida, Miami, UNC, Kentucky and Mississippi State.

ACC schools don’t appear to be going crazy this year. It sounds like most will venture out to 4-6 events. Syracuse is a good example. They will host a camp in Brooklyn, NY and then have representatives at larger camps in New Jersey, Cleveland, South Florida, Ontario and Norfolk, VA.

All of that leads to the question of the satellite camp plan for Wake Forest. The answer isn’t clear. I think the staff will probably venture away from Winston-Salem, but so far I haven’t seen Wake listed anywhere. My guess is that the Wake staff is confining themselves to some low-key events.

There’s also the question of whether all of these satellite camps will make it harder for the staff to draw kids to Winston-Salem. That remains to be seen, but from reading interviews it seems like most schools continue to stress that the best way to earn a scholarship is to come to their on-campus camps (as opposed to a satellite camp).

I was going to joke that Wake should do a camp in Samoa. I guess that was no joke for crazy man Harbaugh.

Old Dominion announced that Wake Forest will attend one of their camps in Norfolk, VA. A nice choice by the staff. Lots of programs are looking to increase exposure to that part of Virginia.

I can't tell which date or which other schools will be participating on the same day that Wake attends. Michigan, Penn State, Maryland, Florida, UVA and Syracuse will also be guest coaches at one of the ODU camps (spread out amongst several dates), so it's a popular destination.

I was going to joke that Wake should do a camp in Samoa. I guess that was no joke for crazy man Harbaugh.

"For a country that stretches only 19 miles across and has a population of 65,000 people, there are over 30 current players in the National Football League and another 200 plus athletes playing in division one college who are of Samoan descent.

Imagine 30 current NFL players coming out of any other town in America? No city in the US even comes close."

Crazy like a fox.

2017 Football Recruiting - New OL commit

Samoan descent isn't the same as being from Samoa. Are there really over 30 NFL players who grew up in Samoa?

The population is just over 55,000. That's nuts.

If I 'identify' as Samoan, will it help me to get drafted?

No but you might get your own bathroom.

b4884c83489135a99a05c6e625899767.jpg

From the guys I saw on American Samoa, it would be worth a trip by the whole staff! Did you know that the highest grossing McDonalds is in American Samoa? At least that is what I was told by a tribal elder. Not to mention it is a beautiful place!

From the guys I saw on American Samoa, it would be worth a trip by the whole staff! Did you know that the highest grossing McDonalds is in American Samoa? At least that is what I was told by a tribal elder. Not to mention it is a beautiful place!

So you went on vacation to Samoa. I'm not sure how that messes with the Bud recruiting karma.

Bud recruiting karma??? Our basketball and football teams have been on the decline to rock bottom since we won the ACC Championship in football in 2006.

Josh Blackwell to Duke. Blackwell had visited for Wake's Junior Day and even when the bigger offers started rolling in I felt like Wake continued to have a good chance. Blackwell is a fast, physical corner and from what I've read he's a very good kid as well. Jake Simpson's teammate at Buford.

Back