• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 Football Recruiting

Any word on a commit?

Not yet. The obvious speculation is going to be Taylor Powell, which would be HUGE, but there are also some WRs and CBs that wouldn't be a complete surprise at this point.

Note that the Wake staff doesn't acknowledge all commits on Twitter, so I'm assuming this one must be a bigger one.

They've acknowledged there is a commit but there's still no word from the player, his coach, or Les on who?

They've acknowledged there is a commit but there's still no word from the player, his coach, or Les on who?

Correct. A Wake GAs tweet was unmistakable that the staff took a commit. It was late on a Friday, and the player probably wants to make his announcement at a time of his choosing. Seems to happen a lot at other schools where there is a day or two of speculation before the kid announces.

Sometimes kids want time to contact coaches from other schools that offered to let them know they are committing elsewhere.

Last edited:
Correct. A Wake GAs tweet was unmistakable that the staff took a commit. It was late on a Friday, and the player probably wants to make his announcement at a time of his choosing. Seems to happen a lot at other schools where there is a day or two of speculation before the kid announces.

Sometimes kids want time to contact coaches from other schools that offered to let them know they are committing elsewhere.

Fwiw, tho there very well may be a commit this week, it seems the tweet was in reference to lining up a future visit with a target, from what I've gathered. Saw the same tweet. . . thought exactly the same thing.

That doesn't mean there won't be news this weekend, however.

Fwiw, tho there very well may be a commit this week, it seems the tweet was in reference to lining up a future visit with a target, from what I've gathered. Saw the same tweet. . . thought exactly the same thing.

That doesn't mean there won't be news this weekend, however.

Well I certainly misread that tweet. Must have been a big visit that got set up!

There are a lot of recruits with offers that appear to be seriously considering Wake. I have to think that commits will start soon. Even wondering if we might see a run of sorts once the ball gets rolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A quick refresh on Taylor Powell for those who haven’t been following this thread:

P5 offers from Vandy, Maryland, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue and Washington State. Alabama liked him enough to invite him to campus on a multiple day visit. He was recently under consideration for the QB opening at Texas A&M.

QB MVP at The Opening-New Orleans (aka Elite 11) and Rivals-Kansas City. I can’t recall a previous Wake QB commit to earn a QB MVP at either a Nike camp or a Rivals camp, although it’s possible that Kyle Kearns might have.

I believe that his father is a team doctor for the Arkansas football team and Taylor is targeting medical school after his football career is over.

RankByOffers has him as the #31 overall QB in the class, and when you look at his overall recruiting resume (including his performance this spring) I think that is a reasonable ranking.

When you combine camp performances, offers and rankings by recruiting services, I would put Powell right up there with Jamie Newman as the biggest QB commits of the Clawson tenure.

A great job by the staff to hang in there and get the guy they’ve been targeting since last December.

Welcome Powell. Any chance we lose the other QB now?

A quick refresh on Taylor Powell for those who haven’t been following this thread:

P5 offers from Vandy, Maryland, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue and Washington State. Alabama liked him enough to invite him to campus on a multiple day visit. He was recently under consideration for the QB opening at Texas A&M.

QB MVP at The Opening-New Orleans (aka Elite 11) and Rivals-Kansas City. I can’t recall a previous Wake QB commit to earn a QB MVP at either a Nike camp or a Rivals camp, although it’s possible that Kyle Kearns might have.

I believe that his father is a team doctor for the Arkansas football team and Taylor is targeting medical school after his football career is over.

RankByOffers has him as the #31 overall QB in the class, and when you look at his overall recruiting resume (including his performance this spring) I think that is a reasonable ranking.

When you combine camp performances, offers and rankings by recruiting services, I would put Powell right up there with Jamie Newman as the biggest QB commits of the Clawson tenure.

A great job by the staff to hang in there and get the guy they’ve been targeting since last December.

Thanks for the recap. Awesome pick-up!

Can't remember have two straight QB commits. Will the floodgates start soon?

Back