• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2017 NBA Draft thread - JC drafted 19th to Atlanta, OUR... Hawks?

Is there anyone questioning whether he made a good decision? I'm honestly asking because I might have missed it. Certainly haven't seen it in the past 10 pages or so.

Seen a lot of posts asserting he'd have been better off if he stayed.

To your last sentence, I would imagine a healthy portion of posters on this board went to extra school in order to increase our earning potential by 50%, often with a decent risk it wouldn't work out. I recognize that JC's dealing with an extra zero than most of us, and I'm not ruling out the possibility that we were all idiots for making that choice, but even rich people want to make more money if possible.

The risk though is losing it all to an ACL year. Most of have never had to assume that level of financial risk when deciding whenter of not to leave college after our sophomore year or even whether or not to get a graduate degree. So he is dealing with an extra zero, but in most careers we have zero risk of losing everything by staying in school longer we are only risking not making as much as we'd hoped.

Such a dumb term.

PS, this is in no way intended to be a defense of donaldross, and not really a defense of our profession. Just wanted to say that term is lazy and overused.
What is the correct term for a personal injury lawyer that posts ads over bar urinals?

The risk though is losing it all to an ACL year. Most of have never had to assume that level of financial risk when deciding whenter of not to leave college after our sophomore year or even whether or not to get a graduate degree. So he is dealing with an extra zero, but in most careers we have zero risk of losing everything by staying in school longer we are only risking not making as much as we'd hoped.

Or losing something like Harry Giles did. If he hadn't been injured this year, according to many columns, he would have been a Top 10 pick. He would have realized many millions more immediately. Even more importantly, barring what looks like it would take a miraculous recovery, Harry could have lost well over $100M when you compare being a star (which was considered a lock) versus possibly getting cut during his low-end rookie contract.

What RCChildman also didn't respond to was the JC would likely have improved at Wake as junior, but due to that wider range of game and adding a star like Chaundee, JC's numbers would most likely have gone down. JC would have taken some threes. Also, having three other centers and Dinos would have made having as much as he did this year much less likely.

Now add to that, even a small improvement by Bryant will take touches from JC.

We would be a much better team. JC would be a better player, but his numbers would have gone down if he returned. I have shown where 1st Team All-Americans were picked. Thus, that is a silly reason to return.

I know RC doesn't like facts, but this year only ONE junior/senior was picked in the Top 20 (3 in 14. 3 in 15, 5 in 16). The NBA trend of discounting upperclassmen added to his lower numbers make it much more sensible to leave.

Talk of whether or not Collins made a good decision is just silly. He is 19 and is now guaranteed $5 million over the next 3 years. Just for context, that is over forty eight years of salary for me in my current position. I could work my entire career and not make as much money as JC will in 3 years and compared to my peers in my field I make a very good wage. None of us would have turned that money down to do something that we love on the possibility that maybe if we wait a year we'd make few 100k more when there is even a small risk we'd loose everything.

A certain Trump supporter and attorney on this board asks "why the f**k aren't you #winning?"

Good post.

Last edited:

I'm guessing you've never had student loans before. Also can anyone point to a potential first rounder that lost everything (I.e. Made zero money playing basketball) because they got injured after coming back?

I'm guessing you've never had student loans before. Also can anyone point to a potential first rounder that lost everything (I.e. Made zero money playing basketball) because they got injured after coming back?

Made zero money playing basketball is a pretty stupid way of conceiving of the situation. The question is not whether players will get paid to play professional basketball. Guaranteed rookie contracts in the NBA are significantly higher than any league outside of the NBA, let alone domestic professional and semi-professional leagues. Plus being able to turn that initial guaranteed rookie contract into a second NBA contract, especially given the new CBA, is another perk.

So no one has said it was a bad decision then?

Also who is asserting he definitely would have been better off staying? How could any of us possibly know that?

You don't need to know what will happen you just need to do some math to see that it is completely rational for him to go pro this year. Next year's draft has uncertainty about the out come for JC, this year had none. If money is your primary objective, It is completely rational to leave school and take the money. I cannot believe any single poster on these boards would not make the same decision. The only reason to stay is if you have objectives that aren't related to money.

Jesus, you like to argue.

Hey man, RC isn't saying it's a good decision. He's also saying it's not a bad decision. He's saying he's taken no sides. Nor has he looked into any of the other input. :jerkit::rolleyes:

I thought you got all of that. :laugh::bowrofl:

Hey man, RC isn't saying it's a good decision. He's also saying it's not a bad decision. He's saying he's taken no sides. Nor has he looked into any of the other input. :jerkit::rolleyes:

I thought you got all of that. :laugh::bowrofl:

So, we all can agree that JC made a decision. At least there is that.

Made zero money playing basketball is a pretty stupid way of conceiving of the situation. The question is not whether players will get paid to play professional basketball. Guaranteed rookie contracts in the NBA are significantly higher than any league outside of the NBA, let alone domestic professional and semi-professional leagues. Plus being able to turn that initial guaranteed rookie contract into a second NBA contract, especially given the new CBA, is another perk.

Agreed. I was responding to someone presenting that situation.

Jesus, you like to argue.

I'm not even sure there is a huge disagreement here. I've never asserted JC made a bad or irrational choice or definitely should have come back.

I have consistently pointed out that coming back was a viable and possibly preferable option and felt the need to interject on the "great decision by JC, anyone who thinks he should have stayed is an idiot, he landed in the perfect situation and is going to be an all star" circle jerk.

And yeah I do like to argue.

You don't need to know what will happen you just need to do some math to see that it is completely rational for him to go pro this year. Next year's draft has uncertainty about the out come for JC, this year had none. If money is your primary objective, It is completely rational to leave school and take the money. I cannot believe any single poster on these boards would not make the same decision. The only reason to stay is if you have objectives that aren't related to money.

100% agree with everything but the last two sentences.

Back