• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No matter how you feel about CMC and Samuel, you’ve got to admit it sucks that we need a RB and WR in this draft.

There is absolutely no reason to draft a RB this year. What are you people smoking? The Panthers are 4th in the NFL in rushing. And yes a lot of that is Cam, which it is always going to have to be for him to be a good QB. The less he runs, the less effective he is.

OL, WR, DB, and maybe take a late round flier on a backup QB.

In the NFL, if your QB leads your team in rushing, you need a RB.

OL is the bigger issue. Need better protection and run blocking and suddenly we are 15-1 again

In the NFL, if your QB leads your team in rushing, you need a RB.

Not if Cam Newton is your QB and you go 11-5. If you want Cam to run it 50 times over the course of the season then you are going to lose a lot more games. Last year he ran 90 times and went 6-10. The 15-1/MVP season he ran it 132 times with a 4.8 yard average, this 11-5 year he ran it 139 times with a 5.4 yard average. If you want effective Cam, he is right where he should be in attempts.

Yep. When you draft one in the first round, and this is still the case, it’s really not good.

Then give him more carries. Cam has 139 carries, CMC has 117. And the old guy with a lower YPC has 198 carries. That is a gripe with the OC, not the first round RB (who also leads the team with 80 receptions). But Cam runs a lot because he needs to run to be effective (remember, 11-5). If you want to give CMC more of Stewart's carries then go right ahead. But again, 4th in the league in rushing. The running game is not the problem.

Not if Cam Newton is your QB and you go 11-5. If you want Cam to run it 50 times over the course of the season then you are going to lose a lot more games. Last year he ran 90 times and went 6-10. The 15-1/MVP season he ran it 132 times with a 4.8 yard average, this 11-5 year he ran it 139 times with a 5.4 yard average. If you want effective Cam, he is right where he should be in attempts.

Then give him more carries. Cam has 139 carries, CMC has 117. And the old guy with a lower YPC has 198 carries. That is a gripe with the OC, not the first round RB (who also leads the team with 80 receptions). But Cam runs a lot because he needs to run to be effective (remember, 11-5). If you want to give CMC more of Stewart's carries then go right ahead. But again, 4th in the league in rushing. The running game is not the problem.

CMC was in position to get Stewart’s carries on Sunday, and he was not remotely effective.

McCaffrey was 23rd in the league in yards from scrimmage and tied for 22nd in touchdowns. Most of the guys ahead of him had considerably more touches. I wasn't a fan of the pick when it was made, but he had a fine year

I'm all for drafting a between the tackles runner to complement CMC in the 4th or 5th round. This RB class is crazy deep.

I want Orlando Brown - the 6'8" LT from Oklahoma in the 1st, Christian Kirk in the 2nd, S/CB in the 3rd, Bo Scarborough in the 4th...

We goin to the ship friends

Squeak out a win in New Orleans on a late drive - go up to Philly to beat Nick Foles' ass - go to Minneapolis or LA and shock the league

#optimismstartshere

You can get a running back either late or easily through free agency no need to waste important draft capital early on a running back unless it’s a 3 down Gurley type back.

CMC was in position to get Stewart’s carries on Sunday, and he was not remotely effective.

They gave him 6 carries the entire game. What RB gets going on 6 carries? He didn't have a single carry on the opening drive. On the second drive he had two carries - the first for 8 yards and the second for 4 yards. That is pretty fucking effective in my book, but you do you. The next series he got zero carries as they put in CAP for some unknown reason. The series after that he got zero because they put in WhackaWhacka for a similar unknown reason. So until inside 6 minutes in the first half, he had 2 carries for 12 yards. You want him to be more effective than that? Again, that's on Shula, not CMC. The next drive he got two more carries and they scored their only TD. Again, effective.

Third quarter starts and again for some unknown reason CAP gets the carry. CMC gets zero carries in the entire 3rd quarter. That's on him? He gets 2 carries in the 4th, both of which come on the FG drive. So 4 of his 6 carries came on scoring drives, and the other 2 carries went for 12 yards. If that is your warped view of "not remotely effective", I don't know what to tell you.

I really hope we have just been hiding CMC the last few games. Every swing pass he gets is a guaranteed 4 yards, and usually more. The first drive against the Packers is how our offense should function from a baseline standpoint. I'm confused every single game why our offense isn't structured around giving the ball to CMC in space. Find ways to get him matched up on a LB and profit. If he's being doubled, then Greg should be wide open for 7 easy yards.

If we can't string together a competent offense between Cam, Olsen, CMC and Funchess, you fucking suck as a coordinator. We don't have the downfield weapons to hang 30 a game consistently, but you should be able to play ball control with those four players and lean on a great red zone defense.

We are way too reliant on Cam having an "on" day. I love Ron Rivera, i think he's a great fit for our team. But for fuck's sake, we need a change on offense that doesn't ask our QB to thread the needle 20 yards downfield on 3rd and 2.

it did sound like the gameplan was to be conservative against atl and get ready for the playoffs

I really hope we have just been hiding CMC the last few games. Every swing pass he gets is a guaranteed 4 yards, and usually more. The first drive against the Packers is how our offense should function from a baseline standpoint. I'm confused every single game why our offense isn't structured around giving the ball to CMC in space. Find ways to get him matched up on a LB and profit. If he's being doubled, then Greg should be wide open for 7 easy yards.

If we can't string together a competent offense between Cam, Olsen, CMC and Funchess, you fucking suck as a coordinator. We don't have the downfield weapons to hang 30 a game consistently, but you should be able to play ball control with those four players and lean on a great red zone defense.

We are way too reliant on Cam having an "on" day. I love Ron Rivera, i think he's a great fit for our team. But for fuck's sake, we need a change on offense that doesn't ask our QB to thread the needle 20 yards downfield on 3rd and 2.

Good post.

lol the atl game

If you guys haven't noticed, I hate Shula's coaching

it did sound like the gameplan was to be conservative against atl and get ready for the playoffs

Ridiculous with a chance to host a playoff game and/or not play the Saints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back