• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Fitness / Weight-Loss Accountability Thread - BACK FOR 2024!

Have you ever taken preworkout? Are you in good heart health? If no and yes, try a dry run with some preworkout and see how it affects it.
I have not tried. Slightly high cholesterol but don’t take cholesterol meds. Other than that, heart health is fine. Theoretically would the pre workout benefit me for the full 10 minutes?

Is cheating an option? Just do the stair climb for 2:20. Easy peasy!

I have not tried. Slightly high cholesterol but don’t take cholesterol meds. Other than that, heart health is fine. Theoretically would the pre workout benefit me for the full 10 minutes?
Oh yeah. But it also jacks up your heart rate and some people have issues with it during cardio so maybe not the best time to try it. @WindyCityDeac can weigh in too.

Man that sucks that the stairs are a set time. Like if you had a target to go 20 flights you could conceivable shave off a minute.
Um, just take the stairs two-at-a-time and you cut your time in half!
1l3vcm.jpg

Accountability fam, i completed my CPAT practice test, but was a minute + over the time needed to pass. And my real exam is this Sunday. I don’t know that i can shave a minute off my time in one week, but seeking any advice that i can do this week to give me any type of advantage.
Man, that's tough.

There's probably nothing you're going to be able to do to increase your fitness capacity over the next week in a meaningful way so focus on mobility, sleep, nutrition, and making sure you go into the test fully rested and well hydrated/nourished. Adrenaline can be an amazing thing - being the real test you can probably push yourself in ways that you haven't found motivation for in the practice tests - the whole leave all out there mindset.

I personally wouldn't fuck with pre-workout on a cardio heavy test. The only practical tip I could really think of when looking at the events was suggesting trying a hook grip on anything you're carrying/holding - that could give you a slight edge in being able to carry things longer and/or without setting down which could help shave a little time (unless you're already completing the events without a break).

Oh yeah. But it also jacks up your heart rate and some people have issues with it during cardio so maybe not the best time to try it. @WindyCityDeac can weigh in too.
i was thinking pre-workout. But if you've never done it it would be a tough time to start.
Do you drink coffee or other caffeinated beverages? If so, pounding coffee about 10 minutes before can act as a "poor mans" pre-workout

Yeah, they tell you the first 20 seconds are a “warm-up” but you can’t choose to skip it. You can hold onto sides during the warm-up, but then for the 3 minutes you can’t touch the sides.

i was thinking pre-workout. But if you've never done it it would be a tough time to start.
Do you drink coffee or other caffeinated beverages? If so, pounding coffee about 10 minutes before can act as a "poor mans" pre-workout
What are these pre-workouts? Would they be beneficial for someone running a few miles?

I think the adrenaline from it being the real test is going to do the same thing the pre-workout would, TBH, and at least some chance of an ill effect if he's never done it before. Maybe a little extra coffee is all I would do.

sort of like, Red Bull or Monster. With some more "natural" items to help with vaso-dilation etc.
I always run at the end of my workout so can't speak to the efficacy for running necessarily
I have a Monster a couple times a week. Actually had one at work this AM but was way after my workout. Clearly I'm doing it wrong.

how frequently do firefighters need to re-pass the physical test?

seen some firefighters recently that, uh, looked they may not pass
I'm glad you asked this, haha. Was wondering the same thing. I never would have guessed the test was this difficult.

What are these pre-workouts? Would they be beneficial for someone running a few miles?

Gatorade makes this preworkout thing called Ignite that is like 12oz and has 200mg of caffeine. I will drink half of one along with a small breakfast when I’m getting ready to do a long run. Drinking the whole thing gives me the spins.

Idk how far you’re planning to run (think you mentioned some sort of relay) but if you don’t generally hit caffeine hard then I wouldn’t start. I’ve decided im better off prepping with a small breakfast like a half PBJ sandwich that has a good bit of quick sugar via jelly.

Could also eat a Gu gel with water like 10 mins before the start.

how frequently do firefighters need to re-pass the physical test?

seen some firefighters recently that, uh, looked they may not pass
Might be a better question for @tsywake but i don’t think many departments would make you retake it. So my understanding it’s just a requirement for getting hired. Departments might have their own criteria for staying physically fit.

Gatorade makes this preworkout thing called Ignite that is like 12oz and has 200mg of caffeine. I will drink half of one along with a small breakfast when I’m getting ready to do a long run. Drinking the whole thing gives me the spins.

Idk how far you’re planning to run (think you mentioned some sort of relay) but if you don’t generally hit caffeine hard then I wouldn’t start. I’ve decided im better off prepping with a small breakfast like a half PBJ sandwich that has a good bit of quick sugar via jelly.

Could also eat a Gu gel with water like 10 mins before the start.
~ 60 total miles for the 6 man team. I'm runner 6, so I have legs 6 and 12. 2.74 miles and 3.65 miles. Not too terribly worried about the 2nd leg as it is mostly downhill. My first leg has a 1.7 mile climb to end it.

How did it go?

~400 runners... So not a huge field (and a very flat, easy course)

My wife was the top overall female - 21:26 - She also finished #7 overall (when you include the men)
My 9 yo daughter won 10 & Under (female) - 28:35 - She was the top female finisher under 23 years old
My 7 yo daughter ran the entire thing with me without stopping and finished 3rd in 10 & under (female) - 33:02 - She was the 2nd youngest participant (a 5yo girl ran it in 51:55).

I beat my 7yo daughter by one second... 33:01

I literally did not break a sweat. It was amazingly frustrating to have people passing me left and right... Especially when they kept telling my daughter how great she was doing. But it was awesome to run with her the whole time and see her push through when things got tough for her. She got a cramp about a mile in and I thought she was going to have to stop for a sure.

It was a lot of fun. I think my 9yo will want to keep running races. My 7yo said it was fun, but that she had no desire to ever run a race again.

Back