• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Fitness / Weight-Loss Accountability Thread - BACK FOR 2024!

My son is doing a 50-miler in the rain tomorrow. For fun. Sort of.

Looking forward to hauling his wet, smelly ass someplace for dinner afterwards.

If he's doing a 50-miler, he's bound to have experience, but please remind him to Body Glide in between his toes. I did 7.5 in the rain and got a horrible blister.

Typically, I wear Injinji toe socks, but was wearing regular thermal socks that day because of the cold.

I did not account for the quality of my double unders falling absolutely to shit in round 4

You beat me. Congratulations
Was it the double unders that got you? Those are in the open every year. I was always a good jumper but in 2020 I did double unders in my garage 3-4 days a week.

Thrusters will be next and I am on vacation so I may just not do that one.

Was it the double unders that got you? Those are in the open every year. I was always a good jumper but in 2020 I did double unders in my garage 3-4 days a week.

Yeah it was definitely the doubles. The rower wasn’t bad at all and the deadlifts were nothing but I couldn’t keep a steady pace on the doubles the longer I was into the workout. I suck at them. I just have to work on them a lot more.

How'd it go? What was dinner?

I've grown and birthed two children since I last did anything of significance, from an athletic perspective (aside from the child growing). I'm registered for a marathon this coming October and right now trying to pretend like I'm building some kind of base to start training. I did this last year, too, and training coincided with weaning my second-born and I ended up with a stress fracture (hormones + depleted calcium = womp womp). Was able to defer my registration so I can try again this year, but damn. I used to run 10+ miles at 7:45 pace... and today I was happy to do my 3mi run in 30 minutes. I don't want to take even that for granted because I know I'm fortunate to still have the ability to move, but for real. It's a little disheartening and makes it a lot harder to get out there right now.

How'd it go? What was dinner?

I've grown and birthed two children since I last did anything of significance, from an athletic perspective (aside from the child growing). I'm registered for a marathon this coming October and right now trying to pretend like I'm building some kind of base to start training. I did this last year, too, and training coincided with weaning my second-born and I ended up with a stress fracture (hormones + depleted calcium = womp womp). Was able to defer my registration so I can try again this year, but damn. I used to run 10+ miles at 7:45 pace... and today I was happy to do my 3mi run in 30 minutes. I don't want to take even that for granted because I know I'm fortunate to still have the ability to move, but for real. It's a little disheartening and makes it a lot harder to get out there right now.
He finished! And roughly met his goal time. Super glad I was there at the finish, because he drives a manual transmission, and that wasn’t happening after 50 (actually 53…the course was long) miles. So I drove to dinner. Great stuff.

I totally hear you on being disheartened. Aging sucks. But every day of training is a good day. You’re not competing with your younger self; you’re improving you, right now, and for the future.

If you can train for and complete a marathon while raising two kids after giving birth to them, you’re a total badass, and I don’t care about your time. Good luck!

I'm gonna retest on this tonight. I beat myself up with double unders all weekend so I'm going back in at 5 to see if I can do better.

You might have meant this anyway, but I think most in that evidence based exercise science community, including Galpin, would agree that stopping 2-3 reps short of failure is much better than going to actual failure. Just as much gains and far less fatigue/injury risk.

Tiltdeac right on it

Did my 100th Peloton strength workout and 200th overall workout this morning since I started after Thanksgiving.

I’ve worked out everyday except one since and I’m averaging over an hour a day. I’m sticking with the 16:8 fast too.

But I’m frustrated that my weight has plateaued again a few pounds more than I was at the beginning of the month after I ended a 5 week strength program.
I've lost 5 pounds in the almost 3 weeks since this post. Guess I just need to be patient I got the "wow, you're getting skinny" from my wife so I like that metric.

I finished an impromptu 24 hour fast today. We went kayaking yesterday afternoon and had a late lunch/early dinner afterward. When we got home a few hours later, I just decided I was fine and went an open gym volleyball night instead. Woke up and decided to just keep the fast going. It felt good. I'm going to try to do it once a month when I can get the timing right.

I've lost 5 pounds in the almost 3 weeks since this post. Guess I just need to be patient I got the "wow, you're getting skinny" from my wife so I like that metric.

I finished an impromptu 24 hour fast today. We went kayaking yesterday afternoon and had a late lunch/early dinner afterward. When we got home a few hours later, I just decided I was fine and went an open gym volleyball night instead. Woke up and decided to just keep the fast going. It felt good. I'm going to try to do it once a month when I can get the timing right.
I mean, that's ~ 1.6 lbs per week average. That's not bad.

Got home from my kayak trip last night. No lower back problems at all, and honestly the paddling was easy. I credit my efforts at the gym. Only physical issues that arose were getting “saddle sore” in the kayak seat and my neck is killing me from sleeping on a makeshift pillow for 4 nights.

Got home from my kayak trip last night. No lower back problems at all, and honestly the paddling was easy. I credit my efforts at the gym. Only physical issues that arose were getting “saddle sore” in the kayak seat and my neck is killing me from sleeping on a makeshift pillow for 4 nights.
I'll bet that trip was just fun as hell.

Back