• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Pit Fantasy Football League - Dynasty League Filled, Members Please See New Thread

What’s the fantasy equivalent of a day 1 fake cop claim as a vanilla civ?

Gooner, as always thanks for doing these. It's easy to be witty and funny while the Fantasy gods are smiling, but when kicked in the nut sack each week, getting crushed at work, and then entertaining all of us with your recaps...that's impressive. In my $$ league, I felt awesome leaving the draft and am now in 9th place (would have won but Taysom Hill was on my bench and started L Thomas who didn't even play!). I meant to go back and double-check my roster but got busy and then remembered at 1:03. The hatred of this game is real.

But, now I'm betting player props on the Bears and Skins (commanders), what can go wrong?? I have issues.

People who have been neglected and will get their own personal recap soon if I don't pull my head out of my ass:

Barca
Triple
bern
Satan
Ghost
redwing

Apologies to all, I need to do a better job of spreading the love. Maybe the switch in recap style this year has been a dud.
Meh. I've had several mentions in matchups and I'm the most mediocre 3-2 in the league. Even as defending champ, I think coverage has been about right.

I’m just bitching to bitch. I appreciate you doing these and ruling us with an iron fist.

I was projected to have a big win over Gooner, but then my 4 pm game players said to hold my beer

I feel like I've left my highest scoring receiver on the bench in every game this year.

Never felt better, I'm so good at fantasy football

Recap coming tomorrow, we had something happen in Week 6 that I've never seen before

WEEK 6: Who You Gonna Call? Ghostsurfer!

giphy.gif

Isn't fantasy football so much fun? (For your answer, do not click on Page 12 of this thread). Each year presents us with a chance at new beginnings, each year presents challenges that must be overcome, and each year offers us surprises that confirm why we love to hate and hate to love this glorious, frustrating, beautiful, annoying, overwhelmingly stupid but undeniably awesome game. And 2022 is no different. Six weeks are in the books in the Pit League and for the first time since I started playing here, Ghost is in sole possession of the league lead. Yes sir, Ghost please take a bow! Over the last few years, parity has been the name of the game in the Pit League with double digit teams making up a chasing pack of a few teams, and though this year is largely no different with 14(!!) teams at either 4-2 or 3-3, Ghost stands alone at the top after Week 6. Let it be known that anyone (and I mean anyone) can find success in this league. Onto this week's stats:

WEEK 6 STATS

1666192712639.png 1666192786395.png

giphy.gif

Normally I don't write a blurb about the weekly stats and just move on to the recap section, but this week gave us something I haven't seen before in fantasy football: a perfectly balanced week. If you had a top half score, you won. If you had a bottom half score, you lost. There were no lucky winners or unlucky losers, it was perfectly balanced as all things should be. Now onto winners and losers:

WEEK 6 WINNERS & LOSERS
WINNERS

Ghostsurfer aka The Artist Formerly Known as Disco Kid: Any long-term players in the Pit League (which honestly is everyone but Triple & mako) may know that Ghost/Disco Kid and I have a checkered past. I asked him to score more points on a weekly basis, he told me to shove it where the sun don't shine and won games despite not scoring points. He is the genesis of my now firm belief that points don't matter in fantasy (though they absolutely do). But as indicated in the opening section, credit must be given when a player rises above, especially a player who has not historically had success in the Pit League, and I give you all the credit I can, Ghost. Ghost hasn't been the most consistent team each week, he hasn't been the highest scoring team each week, but he has put together a solid team that has performed well and has even risen to the higher reaches of the league in certain weeks. And that has been enough to get him sole possession of first place in his division and the league as a whole. I know we have had our philosophical differences, Ghost, and this could be the high point of the season. But all the kudos to you for a brilliant start to the season, best of luck the rest of the way.

Winning Without QB Help: In a league this size, there is no more important position than QB week-to-week. Twenty total QBs have to start and as bye weeks get underway, the pickings get real slim, real quick. So it is as fascinating as it is surprising that a number of teams this week were able to get victories despite underperformances (occasionally severely so) from the QB position. DEACHAWK maintained his stranglehold on the league scoring lead and divisional lead despite Jacoby Brissett being nowhere against New England, Lone Wolf and mako maintained their winning ways even with poor results from Matt Stafford and Daniel Jones, respectively.

But perhaps the most surprising win, and also a demonstration of how tenuous the bad QB situation can be saw bern get a big win over Triple despite Kenny Pickett's single-digit output. Helping bern along the way was the reverse side of the bad QB coin, as Triple was forced into 7th-round rookie Skylar Thompson with Tua still out and Ryan Tannehill on bye. These weeks are the weeks that make or break one's playoff chances, and though bern still remains 4th overall in the Taylor Division, getting to 3-3 and remaining just one game back of the divisional lead could prove immense a few weeks down the line. Kudos to all who are navigating the start of bye week season well and getting key victories, and especially well done bern for overcoming the start of the Kenny Pickett era.

Division Races: This is going to be fun. All four divisions have at least 3 teams within one game of the division lead, with the Davis Division having all five teams and the Taylor Division having four. Parity is always abundant in a league of this size as the week-to-week success of each team is extremely tough to maintain. But this year is especially crazy, and it is setting up for some awesome playoff races. As it stands, 15 teams have at least a projected 25% chance of making the playoffs with eight weeks to go, and only Ghost as the sole 5-1 team has a projected chance at 80%. And if I can pat myself on the back for a second (great job, Gooner. You're a top tier commissioner), the way the schedule is set up, we have three remaining divisional games for most teams. The playoff race is going to be awesome and pretty much everyone still has a shot (probably not you, YB. Sorry.), meaning every week is going to matter that much more. I have no idea who is likely to come out of each division or who might sneak into a wildcard, but I am very excited to find out. Best of luck to all.

YoungBuck: Hot damn the SOB did it. No, YoungBuck did not win a fantasy football matchup, that might be asking a bit much. But he did put together a solid enough outing in Week 6 that he has climbed out of the Pit League points cellar and is now the 19th overall scorer on the season. I'm not usually a big moral victory guy, but when you've had the season that YB has had, any positives must be celebrated and I think getting out of the bottom of the scoring column merits a winner nod for YoungBuck. Congratulations, my friend.

LOSERS

TripleDeac: Newton's 3rd Law of Motion tells us that when one object goes one way, there must be an equal and opposite reaction the other way. And as YoungBuck scraped himself up to the 19th overall scorer on the season, that necessitates that someone must fall to 20th. TripleDeac had a phenomenal rookie season. He came out of the gate firing, held on to a wildcard playoff spot, and ended up making it to the podium in his first year, cementing his name in Pit League's Hall of Champions. However, to say that his sophomore season has gone differently is likely the understatement of the year. The first couple of weeks of this season wouldn't have made you raise your eyebrows as he lost to the top scorer in Week 1 before blowing out fellow future cellar dweller YB in Week 2.

But since then, it's impossible to encapsulate just how truly awful Triple's season has gone. Injuries to Tua, D'Andre Swift, and Keenan Allen were matched by grievous season-long underperformances from Allen Robinson and Courtland Sutton, all snowballing week after week to where Triple hasn't scored even 50 points since Week 2. Triple saw a league-bottom weekly score in each of Weeks 3-5, and the schneid was only broken by Ph's own ineptitude in Week 6 allowing Triple to scrape by with the 19th overall score. It is an absolute kick in the nuts to have a season go so wrong that you could reasonably be jealous of the performances YoungBuck has put together the last few weeks. My commiserations, Triple. Hopefully the return of Tua (and possibly Tua's brain) can help break you out of this cycle of despair.

Barca: Another 2021 Pit League darling having a rough season is Barca. After dominating the 2021 regular season to the tune of a 12-2 record, Barca has already doubled his total losses from last year through just six weeks, even losing to me (yikes). Unlike Triple who has run into some awful roster luck, there's no one particular thing to point to with Barca that would indicate such a disappointing start to the season. Barca did have the unfortunate luck to have drafted Dak and lost him for five weeks, but his backup option Marcus Mariota has performed well in Dak's absence, and the rest of his skill position players outside of DJ Moore have been at least league average or better. It just hasn't happened for Barca so far and he has run up against some tough matchups as his last three losses have been to the 2nd, 3rd, and 2nd high score each week of those matchups. With Dak soon to return (possibly this week!), Barca at least has some hope that he can turn the season around and get back into playoff contention. But the road is going to be much more difficult than it was in 2021 and he will have claw for every victory from here on out.

Ph: Ph lost his game this week and would have lost to anyone he played as he had the bottom overall score.

WEEK 7 PREVIEW

mako (4-2) vs. Edarem (4-2)
One of two matchups this week between teams with winning records sees the 35-55 year old rookie sensation mako take on Taylor Division leader Edarem. Bye weeks are going to start impacting teams in a big way and Edarem gets the worst of it in this matchup with starting QB Kirk Cousins and top WR Gabe Davis both out in Week 7. mako comes away unscathed for the most part with just FLEX RB Devin Singletary out this week, but it is still projected to be a close one. 4-3 is still a solid record halfway through the season, but with the glut of teams around .500, maintaining pace is critical to ensure the best chances of a playoff berth down the stretch, so both men will be eager to get that 5th win on the board. I give the edge to mako just slightly due to the bye week situation, but this is anyone's game.

DEACHAWK (4-2) vs. Mrs. I/O (4-2)
Another 4-2 matchup pits division leaders against each other in a race to stay at the top. DEACHAWK is shares the league's longest current win streak at three games, while Mrs. I/O is trying to bounce back from her first loss since Week 2. Bye weeks hit disparately in this matchup where DEACHAWK will be without his starting defense, TE, and FLEX RB, and while Mrs. I/O does lose RB Alexander Mattison, it is hardly a huge loss with all other FLEX-eligible players available this week. ESPN still gives the edge to DEACHAWK and he is set up to have a solid week with starting QB Derek Carr back from bye week, but as with mako and Edarem, this matchup could go either way. A win and you get to stay atop your division. A loss sends you back into the mixer with the chasing pack. Best of luck to both of you.

The Bottom 3
It's mathematically still possible that anyone in the league could make the playoffs, but we are close to hitting the point where a loss ends all realistic chances of getting to one of those wildcard spots. One could argue that YoungBuck is already there at 0-6, but this week's matchup against Lone Wolf would effectively end YoungBuck's season completely. Similar situations arise for DeaconPeach (1-5) against Sleepy's Lazy-Eyed Psychos, as well as Triple (1-5) against Satan's Minions. The good news for YoungBuck and Triple is that the bye week gods have smiled upon them and given them a real shot this week against bye-weakened opponents. Sadly I cannot say the same for Peach who has a difficult matchup against a full-strength and angry Sleepy. I wish you three all the luck in the world as I want everyone to be in contention for as long as possible. But as we hit the midpoint of this 2022 season, the gut check time is here. Good luck all.

Ph (2-4) vs. Gooner (3-3)
Ph plays me this week.

Best of luck to all in Week 7!

Back