• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-2024 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

Wake won after being down by 21 points last night... Kind of funny, though, in that Elon never had a win probability above 36.7% (when it was 36-15 and then 41-21).

Next biggest deficits that were overcome?

Louisville was down 13 to UMBC & Notre Dame was down 12 to Niagara.

Yeah even live betting I think Elon never got above like -3 from what I saw. Could've been a bit higher at the peak.

JMU might be the best hoops team as well as the best football team in the state. I noticed the Harrisonburg kid Nickel left UNC and got some minutes at VT - good for him - he got no PT last year but should fit in with Young's offense. UVA is unimpressive again. Beekman, McNeely, Dunn and Bond can play, and their freshman big from Idaho, Buchanan, looks like he has game. But the Georgetown transfer PG and the Oklahoma transfer big both suck, the team D isn't great, they have shooting issues outside of McNeely, and the ball handling when Beekman is on the bench is poor. They look like a bubble team again.

Tough to get much out of that UVA game where they pretty much dominated start to finish and had 10 guys play double-digit minutes (and nobody over 30).

JMU might be the best hoops team as well as the best football team in the state. I noticed the Harrisonburg kid Nickel left UNC and got some minutes at VT - good for him - he got no PT last year but should fit in with Young's offense. UVA is unimpressive again. Beekman, McNeely, Dunn and Bond can play, and their freshman big from Idaho, Buchanan, looks like he has game. But the Georgetown transfer PG and the Oklahoma transfer big both suck, the team D isn't great, they have shooting issues outside of McNeely, and the ball handling when Beekman is on the bench is poor. They look like a bubble team again.
JMU looks legit. Quick guards and skilled big men. Took care of the ball well and played with incredible bball IQ down the stretch in a hostile environment. Kudos to them.

Tough to get much out of that UVA game where they pretty much dominated start to finish and had 10 guys play double-digit minutes (and nobody over 30).
Looks like they're going to redshirt their 2 freshman Gs and Robinson, the F from NC. Tony usually has a good transfer or 2, but Groves (Oklahoma), Harris (Georgetown) and Minor (Merrimack) did not impress. Rohde (St. Thomas) is okay but his handle is poor, and he'll struggle against ACC competition. The bench outside of Bond and Buchanan is weak. They could really use Shedrick, and I hope Tony now regrets benching him in favor of Vander Plas for a month last year - he transferred to Texas. They also went through periods of not running any offense last night, getting away from their blocker/mover and middle triangle sets. I get it's early, but they look a bit weaker than last year's edition. UVA and VT should be jealous of JMU in both revenue sports - JMU really impressive last night. JMU beat UVA in Byington's 1st or 2nd year, and they've been a quietly good watch. Byington should get a power 5, er 4, job soon.

Samuel and Handlogten played well for Florida last night. They're going to be awesome twin towers down there and make me think all year about what could've been if we landed one of them.

Handlogten in particular is an absolute baller.

Such a poor take on UVA.

They won by 30, and and held the opponent to 0.77 points per possession, and the "team D isn't great"? C'mon. That's just ridiculous. Also, Dante Harris can play. His O rating last night was 122, and in his first game for UVA as PG, he had zero turnovers in 23 minutes. Also, Ryan Dunn will play in the NBA. UVA is solid all around. The Oklahoma transfer who "sucks" had an O rating of 214. Isaac McNeely is one of the best three point shooters in the country. JMU is a solid mid-major; hope they make the NCAAT, but they aren't within 50 spots of UVA.

Florida is going to be very good this year.
Urge anyone with some couch money lying around to throw a little on a UF NCAAT Final 4 and Championship future on the Gators. They could be the surprise team.

Yes, Florida has a ton of the transfers we really wanted and lost/priced out of.

Richard/Samuel/Handlogten/Clayton

Such a poor take on UVA.

They won by 30, and and held the opponent to 0.77 points per possession, and the "team D isn't great"? C'mon. That's just ridiculous. Also, Dante Harris can play. His O rating last night was 122, and in his first game for UVA as PG, he had zero turnovers in 23 minutes. Also, Ryan Dunn will play in the NBA. UVA is solid all around. The Oklahoma transfer who "sucks" had an O rating of 214. Isaac McNeely is one of the best three point shooters in the country. JMU is a solid mid-major; hope they make the NCAAT, but they aren't within 50 spots of UVA.
They beat Tarleton, and Tarleton was bad. And we had a Billy Gillispie siting - didn't know that's where he is currently slumming. Don't get me wrong, I love Dunn and McNeely. I agree Dunn will play in the Association once his offensive game comes around (he reminds me a lot of Hunter), and McNeely is a great 3 point shooter. But Harris didn't look like he'll contribute that much offensively other than not turning it over when he's running the point. And while Groves can shoot 3s, he's incredibly soft on D and will get abused once ACC play starts. Tony has had great success with transfers over the years, but this group left me disappointed. Had Shedrick returned, I think they would have been a little better than last year's team - they're really going to miss him on the defensive end. But without Shedrick, I stand by my prediction that they're going to be a bubble team.

BTW, Charlotte area residents, UVA/UF is this Friday at 7:00 in Charlotte if you want to catch either/both teams in action.

A little off topic, but I saw Marshall play recently. They had a 7 foot rim protector. Small sample size but looked promising for a freshman. He is from NC. I assume he must not have impressed all that much in high school.
Yeah I immediately wanted that guy on the Deacon roster.

Some snippets from ACC play last night:
  • This how loaded Duke is: despite winning by 38, two of their freshman 5 stars, Sean Stewart and TJ Power (Power was scoreless against Dartmouth), only got garbage minutes; Duke wastes more talent than any team in the nation outside of KY
  • Wooga Poplar is legit: led the Canes in scoring (21) hit five threes
  • Clemson's Ian Schiefflen performed a strong Hunter Tyson impression last night: 163 O rating; 16 points (2 for 3 from three), 7 boards
  • VT has a solid experienced backcourt, a rarity these days: two three year starters in Sean Pedulla (15 points 10 assists) and Hunter Cattoor (13 points 4 assists); Hokies will be a tough out all season
  • BC's Quinten Post may be the ACC's best big: 31 points 11 boards 4 blocks last night in a dominating performance
  • ND is awful as they needed a late rally to beat a bad Niagara team (coached by Dookie Greg Paulus), but an early candidate for ACC ROY is ND 3 star frosh Markus Burton. The 5-11 Burton scored 45% of ND's points (he had 29), and despite being the smallest guy on the court, Burton had ten (10) two point goals. Something else to watch: the ND coach's son is a freshman for the Irish; he struggled, but somehow led ND in minutes last night... Love Micah Shrewsberry, but nepotism can destroy any program...

Agree on VT... Pedulla and Cattoor make for a nasty backcourt. And they have some other players, as well. Should be good again this year.

just imagine how good the Deacs could be if they played 40 minutes of bball like they did vs alabama and last night??? then add in damari and reid??? we could be very dangerous....or we could go lowf and be very un-dangerous.... i'm going to go with the glass is half full because the glass half empty sucks...and where we have been for the last fifty-eleventy years. forgive my bad english. had a day to get buzzed...took advantage of it! bzzzzzzzud

For those in thee Asheville area, Maryland and Clemson are coming to town this weekend. They are playing in the Asheville Championship Tournament along g with Davidson and UAB.

Back