• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

Here are the bubble teams (I am including from listed 10-seed and higher that are non-AQ) listed on Bracket Matrix. Maybe you can add in the 8/9 seeds, but we are roughly looking at 16 teams battling it out for the last 10 at-large spots.
Texas A&M is interesting. I think the only teams with more Q1 wins are going to be 1 seeds. Yet they are 2-4 in Q3.

Indiana State’s disaster of a week makes a 2 bid MVC less likely, although I see Drake popping up on bubble lists. You could also have Butler, Oregon, and Pitt on your list.

I don't think that's necessarily it. Each of these away games are a potential tipping point to get off the bubble. So these are each huge missed opportunities that were right there. Even a set of likely losses should result in one win.

stop essex, step away from the computer and go outside
God hates wake forest. that's all you need to know or report
:)

I don't think that's necessarily it. Each of these away games are a potential tipping point to get off the bubble. So these are each huge missed opportunities that were right there. Even a set of likely losses should result in one win.
I understand the impact of them, for sure. I think what I'm saying is that you can rationalize them. Like losing by two at Virginia, in a bubble, doesn't seem so bad.

But when you throw in how these losses are happening, the certainly seem/feel/maybe are worse.

I think the weirdest thing about all these ranking systems is how difficult it is to rank Wake’s basketball team.

Oh we’re in the top 30 but not in the field of 64-ish?

Yep - Wake is the the team that will play you tough but you can rest assurred they won't make winning plays down the stretch. If the NCAA was selected based on 'potential good game', Wake would be in, but if you qualify based on results on the court, Wake doesn't have much of a case.

We just need to be better than other bubble teams. All of them have flaws. I don’t think road losses are going to be scrutinized in some special way.

We need a few Q1 wins, no GT/ND loss with our metrics and we will almost certainly make the field. This week is it. We could have secured a bid by now, we haven’t. But we aren’t dead yet.

We just need to be better than other bubble teams. All of them have flaws. I don’t think road losses are going to be scrutinized in some special way.

We need a few Q1 wins, no GT/ND loss with our metrics and we will almost certainly make the field. This week is it. We could have secured a bid by now, we haven’t. But we aren’t dead yet.
Do we agree that short of 2-0 we are dead? Maybe sans a run to the ACC finals?

Somebody else said it best on another thread. It's pretty simple. To qualify for a postseason tournament you should have to show that you can occasionally beat a good team on the road. We haven't.
This sounds like the classic definition of First Four Fodder.

Come on out to Dayton and play Tuesday in what will be an entertaining game for the masses, but eventually and predictably fall short, while the country collectively recalls how Wake Forest used to be a regular Field-of-64 team a generation ago, and then moves on to the actual tournament intrigue.

Please let's avoid this fate.

Do we agree that short of 2-0 and we are dead? Maybe sans a run to the ACC finals?
Not 100%. 12-8 could get in or we could upset VT and drop a game this week. Depends what the other bubble teams do, as well.

He's just setting things up for Wake. Beat two (or three) teams ahead of you and move onto the list.

Northwestern was in almost every projected bracket before winning at Indiana by 4 yesterday. Their other road wins are DePaul by 10 and Penn State by 4.

Nebraska is in almost every projected bracket and they have only one road win, which was Kansas State.

Mississippi State in almost every projected bracket has 1 road win. Missouri.

Ole Miss has 3 road wins. 2 point win at Temple, 2 point win at UCF, and 3 point win at Texas A&M.

Providence has 2 road wins. DePaul and by 4 over Seton Hall.

Even Texas Tech only has two road wins. Good ones though in Texas and Oklahoma.

I am sure there are other examples. Lots of flawed teams in this competition.

Back