• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

Morning all,
Got an interesting edition of the BOTG Pod with a little bit of everything. At the open, we're joined by Heat Check CBB's Lukas Harkins, one of the highest rated Bracketologists out there (much better than Lunardi) to discuss Wake Forest's NCAAT outlook and what needs to be done for the Deacs to make the field.

Later, Ben and I discuss the Pitt win and how it displays the danger of playing Wake Forest when at its best. Of course, Duke prep at the end with some keys to the game and our predictions.

Forbes mentioned on his show that he recruited Blake Hinson hard during Covid times, but they couldn’t make it work due to Wake’s academic requirements. Sounded to me like other than that, it would have been a done deal. Just goes again to show Forbes eye for talent in the portal.

Forbes mentioned on his show that he recruited Blake Hinson hard during Covid times, but they couldn’t make it work due to Wake’s academic requirements. Sounded to me like other than that, it would have been a done deal. Just goes again to show Forbes eye for talent in the portal.
Don't those academic requirements become less burdensome for grad transfers...just sayin.

an example of a favorite boards discussion topic, the eligibility of getting rising junior transfers. sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't.

Don't those academic requirements become less burdensome for grad transfers...just sayin.

He’s 24 and has no eligibility left. He was in the 2018 recruiting class with Isaiah Mucius.

it's 20-21 that is the free COVID season right?

Hinson played 18-19 and 19-20 at Ole Miss, was at Iowa state 20-21 and 21-22 where he was injured both years, and now has played 2 years with Pitt. So I think this is his fourth year of eligibility

Let's throw a bag at Cam and get him back. That dude deserves a final healthy season with us, as does Monsanto.

I have zero reasons to think Boopie and Carr won't be back.

Curious on Reid, but I know he could come back. Maybe he shows enough to get a look by the league after this seasons, but I wouldn't be shocked if some NIL doesn't sway him to stay.

Hunter, by all accounts is gone.

I'm guessing Ituka transfers. Not sure if Aaron Clark sees a path to playing time of our guards come back, with Juke Harris joining.

Point is, with a little persuasion and NIL dollars, we could bring back the core of this team in
Carr
Boopie
Cam
Damari
Reid

I'd like another year of Marsh.

Add Juke

Will be curious to see how Ituka, Clark, Canka and Keller shake out.

Need Forbes to have 2 portal openings

KP really does not like UVA. They have UVA as #66 and VT as #50. A lot of that is based on VT's absolute beat-down of UVA on Monday. Again, KP underscores the importance of MOV (because it has shown to be a valid predictive metric). That's what Vegas largely bases their lines on because over time it has proven to be the key predictive metric.
there is a reason for that. . . . my guess, some hidden algorithm(s,) that bolster VT, and a similar one that keeps UVa down.

Ken pomeroy is afterall a hokie. . . .

I am kind of joking, but I am kind of not. . . . every year VT seems to have a much higher ranking than I would expect them to have. 🤷‍♂️

Is there any reporting indicating that Hunt is gone or is that just our common assumption? Wouldn't be surprising in the least, just curious. Other schools get these guys back sometimes.

Let's throw a bag at Cam and get him back. That dude deserves a final healthy season with us, as does Monsanto.

I have zero reasons to think Boopie and Carr won't be back.

Curious on Reid, but I know he could come back. Maybe he shows enough to get a look by the league after this seasons, but I wouldn't be shocked if some NIL doesn't sway him to stay.

Hunter, by all accounts is gone.

I'm guessing Ituka transfers. Not sure if Aaron Clark sees a path to playing time of our guards come back, with Juke Harris joining.

Point is, with a little persuasion and NIL dollars, we could bring back the core of this team in
Carr
Boopie
Cam
Damari
Reid

I'd like another year of Marsh.

Add Juke

Will be curious to see how Ituka, Clark, Canka and Keller shake out.

Need Forbes to have 2 portal openings
I think you can break things down into tiers pretty easily:

Expect back: Hildreth, Miller, Friedrichsen, Reid, Marsh, Marion

Older guys that have eligibility left but may be done with college: Carr, Monsanto

Legit NBA prospect: Sallis

May leave for playing time: Clark, Canka, Keller, Ituka

Incoming players: Harris, ???

The only guy that has a legitimate chance at being drafted is Sallis, but guys like Carr, Monsanto, Reid, Hildreth have all been in college for 3+ years and may be ready to turn pro still. Of those 4, the one I think most likely to leave is Monsanto just based on age and situation.

If Sallis is the only one in the top 3 categories that leaves, I think you just need to be selective and take the best wing transfer that you can find. At that point you are already returning 6 guys that are unquestionably getting minutes next season (plus Marsh, Marion, and Juke) so it's going to be hard to sell more than one high quality transfer on playing time. But as always, I think we should expect at least one guy to leave that we just have no way of seeing coming at this point.

Reid seems like an obvious one to return but you just never know. He missed a big chunk of this season and has showed some nice tools but far from a real NBA prospect. Think he could elevate himself meaningfully with another full year.

Reid seems like an obvious one to return but you just never know. He missed a big chunk of this season and has showed some nice tools but far from a real NBA prospect. Think he could elevate himself meaningfully with another full year.
I'd be really surprised if Reid left after this season. He has very low chances at being drafted, and certainly not in the first round. And after all he's been through, he doesn't seem like a guy that is going to finally get a starting role in college for a year and then leave to turn pro in the G league or Europe.

I think you can break things down into tiers pretty easily:

Expect back: Hildreth, Miller, Friedrichsen, Reid, Marsh, Marion

Older guys that have eligibility left but may be done with college: Carr, Monsanto

Legit NBA prospect: Sallis

May leave for playing time: Clark, Canka, Keller, Ituka

Incoming players: Harris, ???

The only guy that has a legitimate chance at being drafted is Sallis, but guys like Carr, Monsanto, Reid, Hildreth have all been in college for 3+ years and may be ready to turn pro still. Of those 4, the one I think most likely to leave is Monsanto just based on age and situation.

If Sallis is the only one in the top 3 categories that leaves, I think you just need to be selective and take the best wing transfer that you can find. At that point you are already returning 6 guys that are unquestionably getting minutes next season (plus Marsh, Marion, and Juke) so it's going to be hard to sell more than one high quality transfer on playing time. But as always, I think we should expect at least one guy to leave that we just have no way of seeing coming at this point.
Can't believe I forgot Parker. One of the biggest pieces to next season. Get 15 lbs of muscle on that dude and some quicker steps, and he will be an absolute force. Needs to hit the Cam Hildreth school of defense.

Barring something catastrophic, we will have the most returning talent of the Forbes era, as was the case coming into this season with Cam, Carr and Damari.

I'd be really surprised if Reid left after this season. He has very low chances at being drafted, and certainly not in the first round. And after all he's been through, he doesn't seem like a guy that is going to finally get a starting role in college for a year and then leave to turn pro in the G league or Europe.
1708621147632.jpeg

Back