• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

UVA will get that Florida Q1 win either way since it was a neutral site game. We should (assuming we go at least 3-1 and UVA loses at Duke) be better than UVA in every single metric, with the possible exception of the Q1 count (because they get a Q1 for beating us, and we don't for beating them; and because they beat UF by 3 at a neutral site, which would give them a Q1 even if our 11-point win in the Joel won't stand up).

Hopefully that means UVA goes to Dayton and we don't.

UVA will get that Florida Q1 win either way since it was a neutral site game. We should (assuming we go at least 3-1 and UVA loses at Duke) be better than UVA in every single metric, with the possible exception of the Q1 count (because they get a Q1 for beating us, and we don't for beating them; and because they beat UF by 3 at a neutral site, which would give them a Q1 even if our 11-point win in the Joel won't stand up).

Hopefully that means UVA goes to Dayton and we don't.
At this point in time, I don't see a reasonable argument for seeding UVA higher than Wake assuming that both make the field.

Wake is higher in every rating system, Wake has the best win (Duke), and UVA is the one with a Q3/4 loss. Q1 wins would be equal between the teams if UVA was top 30 in NET, so using the extra Q1 win to justify it is nonsense.

At this point in time, I don't see a reasonable argument for seeding UVA higher than Wake assuming that both make the field.

Wake is higher in every rating system, Wake has the best win (Duke), and UVA is the one with a Q3/4 loss. Q1 wins would be equal between the teams if UVA was top 30 in NET, so using the extra Q1 win to justify it is nonsense.
me neither. The Bracket Matrix disagrees, although the gap has narrowed significantly.

And WF's advantage should still stand even if Florida drops down to 31 and UVA has 3X the Q1 wins....we'll see whether common sense prevails.

me neither. The Bracket Matrix disagrees, although the gap has narrowed significantly
It's silly, but there's still a bunch of brackets that haven't been updated since 2/24 or 2/23, leading to Wake being left out of a lot of those brackets. Once those update, I imagine Wake will overtake UVA on there.

I also think it's ridiculous that brackets listed on bracket matrix aren't updated at least every Sunday, after how many games happen on Saturdays.

You are probably correct - however, of the 83 brackets updated Sunday or Monday:

UVA is in 81, average seed 10.4
WF is in 79, average seed 10.6

It's silly, but there's still a bunch of brackets that haven't been updated since 2/24 or 2/23, leading to Wake being left out of a lot of those brackets. Once those update, I imagine Wake will overtake UVA on there.

I also think it's ridiculous that brackets listed on bracket matrix aren't updated at least every Sunday, after how many games happen on Saturdays.
I assume most of those brackets aren't people's full-time job. They're also not doing it for Bracket Matrix. Maybe they just update on the day that works for them.

I don't think WF got "screwed" in 2022. I think the decision to leave them out was close, but ok, especially given the loss to BC.

Where I have a problem, and what concerns me for 2024, is Forbes' statement after the fact that he was told by multiple people on the committee that WF needed to beat not just BC, and not just BC and Miami (Miami got a 10 seed) but BC, Miami, and Duke in the ACC tournament to get in, because WF did not have enough Q1 wins. This despite UNC being at #31 and UVA being at #76 (both one off of Q1 territory). I assume one of those people who Forbes talked to was the ACC representative, Bubba, who is still on the committee.

The blind allegiance to the Quads will have me #nervous on Selection Sunday if Florida drops to #31, we lose at VT, and we either lose to Clemson, or beat them badly enough to drop them out of the top 30. If not to be left out - at a minimum, to be underseeded, maybe to Dayton.

Last edited:
I don't think WF got "screwed" in 2022. I think the decision to leave them out was close, but ok, especially given the loss to BC.

Where I have a problem, and what concerns me for 2024, is Forbes' statement after the fact that he was told by multiple people on the committee that WF needed to beat not just BC, and not just BC and Miami (Miami got a 10 seed) but BC, Miami, and Duke in the ACC tournament to get in, because WF did not have enough Q1 wins. This despite UNC being at #31 and UVA being at #76 (both one off of Q1 territory). I assume one of those people who Forbes talked to was the ACC representative, Bubba, who is still on the committee.

The blind allegiance to the Quads will have me #nervous on Selection Sunday if Florida drops to #31, we lose at VT, and we either lose to Clemson, or beat them badly enough to drop them out of the top 30. If not to be left out - at a minimum, to be underseeded, maybe to Dayton.
If this year's Wake team is underseeded (sent to Dayton) I pity the fool (aka the team playing Wake).

Does anybody else feel like they've been re-learning how to be a college basketball fan over the last two months?
We got some OJT (on the job training) when Jake and Alondes were here and a refresher with Tyree last year. With the guys we have now this could be the year. Amen Brother!!!

What's the best 'metric' outcome for Wake in the Pitt-Clemson game? Pitt winning helps knock Clemson down the ACC standings and boosts Pitt making our beat down look more impressive?

Back