• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

Didn’t forget clemson
Yes we must beat them
No, margin of victory doesn’t matter for ACCT tiebreaker

I don't really care to go to the NCAA Tournament just to be embarrassed in the 1st or 2nd round likely by a mid-major. I'd rather go to the NIT to build the teams confidence.

Is "home" decided by rank or overall record in the NIT?
This is a parody, right?

Just really unfortunate that whether we make the tournament or not this will feel like another season of missed opportunities. And man Sallis absolutely disappeared this week after the huge game against Duke. Can’t have that from your best player at a critical stretch of the season.

I don't really care to go to the NCAA Tournament just to be embarrassed in the 1st or 2nd round likely by a mid-major. I'd rather go to the NIT to build the teams confidence.

Is "home" decided by rank or overall record in the NIT?
Man, this is an odd take.

Forbes is rebuilding our program, following two awful coaches. He started by saying that we want to be playing meaningful games in March. Well, we're doing that (and we also did in 21-22). Hopefully we can win our next two and make the tournament, because that will be another step in the right direction and leading into net year.

This team has the talent of a team who can make a deepen NCAAT run

The problem is that for whatever reason doesn’t translate game in and game out. So frustrating

Was out last night so didn't get to watch the game live, but assumed we'd lose since VaTech is a much tougher road game than Notre Dame.

Not surprised by the outcome, but rewatching it knowing we'd lose it was interesting to look for the anatomy of how we blow games in the 2nd half. I thought we lost the game at the technical foul on Reid, which in turn seemed like the culmination of a mental breakdown that was team-wide. VaTech got hot and hit a bunch of crazy shots, but we were still in it. But the crowd got crazy and a couple calls didn't go our way and Reid/Cam/Boopie all lost their composure.

On offense that panic turns into altercations and dumb fouls, a complete lack of ball fakes, shot fakes, waiting for the screener to actually get to his man before driving, and rushed 3's. It opens us up to get torched by aggressive overplay on defense. It's just non-stop panic once things start going south. There's plenty of effort, but it's panicked effort.

Defensively it made me sick to watch. I don't know if all the switches defensively were by design or just because their screens were so effective, but if it was by design then the coaching staff has WAY too much faith in our defenders. I mean, Kidd comes off the bench and the very first play a ball screen switch puts Cam on him for and and-one. Then they do it AGAIN. Then they get Reid switched onto Cattoor twice and he bangs 2 threes. They hit another three on a Carr switch where Boopie was defending Beran in the post. All they had to do was run a ball screen then a high back screen. If we didn't switch the first, we'd switch the 2nd - Kidd dives to the bucket and a guard was picking him up or a big would try to recover late. Our bigs weren't defending the three anyway so why even bother switching?! Their starting front court shot 80 PERCENT(!!!!) on the game. I mean, what are we doing!?

When we got it back down to 6 or whatever in the 2nd half the opportunity was there - we just let their screen action dismantle us. Then panic, then the technical, then more panic, Sallis disappears, Cam forces it, goodnight. I guess the bottom line nobody in the Boopie/Sallis/Cam/Parker group can lead this team out of these panic states. They just go hero ball and put their heads down and try to do it themselves.

remember when our D was in KP's top 30? that was 3 games ago, after the Pitt game.

down to #47 in the nation defensively after our last 3 defensive efforts

Was out last night so didn't get to watch the game live, but assumed we'd lose since VaTech is a much tougher road game than Notre Dame.

Not surprised by the outcome, but rewatching it knowing we'd lose it was interesting to look for the anatomy of how we blow games in the 2nd half. I thought we lost the game at the technical foul on Reid, which in turn seemed like the culmination of a mental breakdown that was team-wide. VaTech got hot and hit a bunch of crazy shots, but we were still in it. But the crowd got crazy and a couple calls didn't go our way and Reid/Cam/Boopie all lost their composure.

On offense that panic turns into altercations and dumb fouls, a complete lack of ball fakes, shot fakes, waiting for the screener to actually get to his man before driving, and rushed 3's. It opens us up to get torched by aggressive overplay on defense. It's just non-stop panic once things start going south. There's plenty of effort, but it's panicked effort.

Defensively it made me sick to watch. I don't know if all the switches defensively were by design or just because their screens were so effective, but if it was by design then the coaching staff has WAY too much faith in our defenders. I mean, Kidd comes off the bench and the very first play a ball screen switch puts Cam on him for and and-one. Then they do it AGAIN. Then they get Reid switched onto Cattoor twice and he bangs 2 threes. They hit another three on a Carr switch where Boopie was defending Beran in the post. All they had to do was run a ball screen then a high back screen. If we didn't switch the first, we'd switch the 2nd - Kidd dives to the bucket and a guard was picking him up or a big would try to recover late. Our bigs weren't defending the three anyway so why even bother switching?! Their starting front court shot 80 PERCENT(!!!!) on the game. I mean, what are we doing!?

When we got it back down to 6 or whatever in the 2nd half the opportunity was there - we just let their screen action dismantle us. Then panic, then the technical, then more panic, Sallis disappears, Cam forces it, goodnight. I guess the bottom line nobody in the Boopie/Sallis/Cam/Parker group can lead this team out of these panic states. They just go hero ball and put their heads down and try to do it themselves.
Very solid post.

No ball movement. No athleticism or associated defense at the 3 or 4 spots. No timeouts called to settle the team down.

This team has the talent of a team who can make a deepen NCAAT run

The problem is that for whatever reason doesn’t translate game in and game out. So frustrating
Not sure I agree. This team can shoot lights out when we are hot more so than most teams but we are streaky and no team can sustain those percentages. That’s when we are at our best. When we beat duke we had to have record levels of offensive efficiency and percentages to barely win.

We aren’t good at normal basketball stuff. Like dribbling and passing and defending. We look pretty awful when we aren’t shooting 60%

I agree with your post, though I thought our downfall started even earlier. We went up 40-25 and then got a stop. VT was struggling to score, and we had a possession to extend the lead further. But instead, Reid made a lazy pass at the top of they key, which led to a wide open Pedulla layup. Pedulla then scored another layup, Cattoor made a shot, Kidd made a layup, etc. After that lazy pass VT outscored us 62-36.

Back