• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

The next 10 ACC tournaments will be in NC. Does that make you happy? The ACCT was last played in DC in 2016. UNC beat UVA in a great atmosphere.

There are lots of alums of ACC schools in the DC area. It's ok to occasionally play the ACCT in other markets.
When did they confirm this? I saw the announcement of the next 5 Men's ACCT being awarded to NC, did the tax incentives deal for relocating the headquarters guarantee the 2030-2034 tournaments to NC as well?

Wake's ACC Tournament results in DC area:
1976- Quarterfinal Loss to Clemson (0-1)
1981- Quarterfinal Win over Clemson, Semifinal loss to UNC (1-2)
1987- Quarterfinal Win over Clemson, Semifinal loss to NCSU (2-3)
2005- Quarterfinal Loss to NCSU (2-4)
2016- First Round Loss to NCSU (2-5)

In 7 games, Clemson or NCSU has been our opponent in 6 of them. This year we wouldn't meet either of them until the Finals. So let's hope the "tradition" of playing Clemson or NCSU in DC continues.

My memory of that 2005 game is Taron Downey having to run point for 40 minutes while Ilian Evtimov drained 3s from all over the gym.

that 1987 tournament was the Bob Staak 2-12 regular season year (Wade and Maryland went 0-14, the year after Bias died)

In two games at the ACCT, Muggsy had 38 points, 17 assists, 10 rebounds, 4 turnovers. He played 39 minutes in the upset over Clemson but only 32 minutes (he had 4 fouls) in the 2OT heartbreaker to NCST.

that 1987 tournament was the Bob Staak 2-12 regular season year (Wade and Maryland went 0-14, the year after Bias died)

In two games at the ACCT, Muggsy had 38 points, 17 assists, 10 rebounds, 4 turnovers. He played 39 minutes in the upset over Clemson but only 32 minutes (he had 4 fouls) in the 2OT heartbreaker to NCST.
And Staak's two ACC wins were over Maryland.

That was an exciting tourney. State beat #3 Seed Duke and Wake beat #2 Seed Clemson in the quarters, then both semifinal games went to 2OT. State beat UNC in the Finals, after UNC went 14-0 in the regular season.

And Staak's two ACC wins were over Maryland.

That was an exciting tourney. State beat #3 Seed Duke and Wake beat #2 Seed Clemson in the quarters, then both semifinal games went to 2OT. State beat UNC in the Finals, after UNC went 14-0 in the regular season.
My Dad was still doing the radio coverage. Clemson radio guys gave him their press passes after 1st round loss. He called me in W-S and asked if I wanted to come up. I did not want to make the drive. Regret it to this day

My Dad was still doing the radio coverage. Clemson radio guys gave him their press passes after 1st round loss. He called me in W-S and asked if I wanted to come up. I did not want to make the drive. Regret it to this day
Who was your dad, if I may ask? Thanks!

Wake's ACC Tournament results in DC area:
1976- Quarterfinal Loss to Clemson (0-1)
1981- Quarterfinal Win over Clemson, Semifinal loss to UNC (1-2)
1987- Quarterfinal Win over Clemson, Semifinal loss to NCSU (2-3)
2005- Quarterfinal Loss to NCSU (2-4)
2016- First Round Loss to NCSU (2-5)

In 7 games, Clemson or NCSU has been our opponent in 6 of them. This year we wouldn't meet either of them until the Finals. So let's hope the "tradition" of playing Clemson or NCSU in DC continues.

I attended that 2005 game with some NCSU fans. Miserable.

Been on spring break so haven’t kept up with this thread much, apologies if this has been discussed already but it appears The Path still exists. Win big tomorrow and beat Pitt and keep it close to UNC should have us at a play-in game. Torvik’s Ranketology agrees.

I know we’re not in a good spot, but I guess we’ll see what this team is made of during this tournament. Take care of business and we should be in, and if we aren’t, nobody to blame but ourselves.

The next 10 ACC tournaments will be in NC. Does that make you happy? The ACCT was last played in DC in 2016. UNC beat UVA in a great atmosphere.

There are lots of alums of ACC schools in the DC area. It's ok to occasionally play the ACCT in other markets.
I believe they've only announced through 2029 but yeah the next five are Charlotte, Charlotte, Greensboro, Charlotte, Greensboro.

Warning: this is a deeply cynical take

is it possible the AD is trying to pitch these articles to deflect from (tbh) fairly disappointing results on the court? i feel horrible even typing it, but Baghdad Ron would've done this kinda shit in a hot minute.

of course glad to hear they are progressing and totally appreciate it's been a challenging year personally for Coach and family.

Warning: this is a deeply cynical take

is it possible the AD is trying to pitch these articles to deflect from (tbh) fairly disappointing results on the court? i feel horrible even typing it, but Baghdad Ron would've done this kinda shit in a hot minute.

of course glad to hear they are progressing and totally appreciate it's been a challenging year personally for Coach and family.
I would say that it is a positive human interest story which provides good press for the program. I don't think you need to prescribe any further reasoning to it... Positive press is reason enough.

Back