• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

It is hard to understand why WF is not going public with their case for Reid’s eligibility. Our approach does not appear to having much impact. Maybe more is going on behind the scenes but the bottom line is that Reid is still not eligible. It certainly appears the schools that put the most public pressure are getting faster and more positive outcomes. Sitting back and handling things “professionally” is exactly how the NCAA wants us to play. They have had more than enough time to rule on his case and it certainly appears to have as good or better case than some that have been granted the waiver. I think it is time to put as much public pressure/embarrassment as we can possibly exert. Do whatever it takes…without him I see very little possibility of making the postseason. College sports are now a business…play to win.
We won't say anything, the appeal will be denied, then we will have to wait at least another month. Gotta apply some pressure

I just don't get the logic (lol logic with the NCAA) of letting it go so far into the season. I don't know how many of these they have to look at still, but just seems dumb that even if the kid gets to play it's on a shortened season anyway.

The way Wake appears to be handling this reminds me of this scene in the movie The Social Network.

240bbc1f-2d85-40bd-9421-82eb687d2e12_text.gif

f4f8f8c8-755c-4987-a417-13f9e308fcb1_text.gif

The NET rankings mean jack shit at this point. But yeah, the LSU loss hurts. At least UGA was on the road.

If we win the next 4 (and don't look like dogshit doing it), the NET will improve significantly.

Yeah we've got a long way to go, but plenty of time to do it. That LSU loss is going to really, really hurt us.

If/when we get Reid and Monsanto back and wins some games, hopefully the committee will not judge us too harshly for those games with those two out. I wouldn't count on it though.

Yeah we've got a long way to go, but plenty of time to do it. That LSU loss is going to really, really hurt us.

If/when we get Reid and Monsanto back and wins some games, hopefully the committee will not judge us too harshly for those games with those two out. I wouldn't count on it though.
We're going to be making the opposite argument of FSU for the CFP: "Yeah we had some trash losses early in the season and before our roster was complete, but now everyone is back and we're a tourney quality team NOW."

The game against Charleston Southern probably doesn't help us either considering they're a bottom 10 team in the country. Needed to blow them out way worse than we did.

Also we're currently around 20 spots behind Marist. Unlucky Jao.

No preseason anchoring and incredibly small sample size mean these are sort of wild as of today. I’d guess KP is closer to where NET ends up than NET is today, and where there are big differences, there should be pretty solid convergence.

Yes, the NET "problem" from the outset is exactly that: the NCAA wants to just use on-court performance instead of built-in predictive metrics (which makes a lot of sense), so the system is "meh" to start with from a predictive measure and just gets closer to "correct" with more data. The issue with the initial rankings though is we KNOW there is value in recruiting rankings, what transfers came in, previous season(s) successes or lack thereof.

Great, another year of exactly 1-2 losses ending our season before it’s fully begun. Love a system that doesn’t care about improvement as the year goes on.
Those won’t end it if we go win 4-5 Q1 games. I just don’t know if we are good enough to do that.

There’s a reflexive property to all this as well. By that I mean: if we actually improve and are a good team as the year progresses, it will reflect it being a harder game for those teams we played against and improve their rating as well (which in turn boosts ours a little more). If we aren’t very good overall, then us beating a team ranked ahead of us will drag them down.

The key to all of it: actually be good ourselves.

So for next year:

1. Boopie, Ituka (does he finally play?)
  2. Parker, Grad Transfer --- Sallis is up to #13 on NBAdraft.net; Klintman at #19)
  3. Cam Hildreth, Juke Harris is 6'6, Clark --- not sure if Canka will stick around
  4. Grad Transfer (need to spend $$$ here); 3-M needs to hit the weight room
  5. Reid, Marsh, Keller needs to hit the weight room

Back