• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023-24 Wake Forest Basketball Season - 21-14 (11-9) - KP#29 / NET#43

you obviously think our team is better at this point in the season than i do. my expectations are lower. i agree those are different outcomes, but i still call 2-1 a win. even if game 3 was a win against N. Tex or St Johns, it’s a quality win on a neutral court.
Neutral wins over Towson/N. Tex/Dayton just aren’t going to move the needle for the NCAAT unless we are unbeatable the rest of the season after this tournament. Gotta get some quality non-conf wins at some point to make conf play meaningful.

If any of you folks going to Charleston are looking for a good place to eat, I can’t recommend Chubby Fish enough. Ate there last month and it was awesome.

Neutral wins over Towson/N. Tex/Dayton just aren’t going to move the needle for the NCAAT unless we are unbeatable the rest of the season after this tournament. Gotta get some quality non-conf wins at some point to make conf play meaningful.
Do I know you?

maybe but didn't this tournament replace our participation in some terrible tournament we got out of?
Yeah. I wasn’t saying it’s not a good tournament to be in. I just meant that I think most of these teams will prove to be mediocre as the season goes on.

I dont disagree. but you've seen this team play 2 games now. we are a bubble team at best from what i can tell. Getting the Reid waiver (doubtful) I think + continued improvement (if last 2 seasons are the model) likely gets us enough wins at the end for the NCAAT. What's better? getting pounded by Houston or beating N.texas? I think a win is a win. i also believe the ACC competition will be better than the last 2 years.

Yea sadly I’m pretty pessimistic on our NCAA chances this year. Totally get it’s only been like 2 games, but the front court rotation is just not P5 level and we still play team defense like someone put on a how-to video from YouTube on the drive over.

I dont disagree. but you've seen this team play 2 games now. we are a bubble team at best from what i can tell. Getting the Reid waiver (doubtful) I think + continued improvement (if last 2 seasons are the model) likely gets us enough wins at the end for the NCAAT. What's better? getting pounded by Houston or beating N.texas? I think a win is a win. i also believe the ACC competition will be better than the last 2 years.
I think the league is slightly better overall, but the bottom is still just god awful.

ND, Tech, and Louisville are going to be NET killers all year for ACC teams (with BC and Cuse possibly on their tails). Basically puts a lot of middle ACC teams in the position where they have to win by 15-20 at least to just maintain ground against at least 3 of the teams in the conference, if not more. Louisville is once again going to be a sub 300 team, and ND may be with them in a race to the bottom.

When 33% of your conference is at best a Q2 win (and some Q3/Q4), even on the road, it provides a tough roadmap for teams trying to keep up with the metrics that are being used.

The season isn't even 2 weeks old and we've already seen:
ND drop from #165 to #201
Louisville drop from #109 to #183
GT drop from #118 to #133

Those teams are terrible.

The next on the list are:
BC - Probably going to lose to Richmond tonight
Syracuse - Playing Tennessee on Monday (uh oh)
FSU - @ Florida on Friday

The ACC is ranked the #6 conference right now and isn't even close to sniffing #5. That's gotta change.

BC is beating Richmond; agree with everything else.

But that's demonstrably untrue these past few years with the NET. Playing, and beating, shitty teams is more punishing than playing, and losing, to very good teams.

Yeah so this pre game information looks all bad.

Maybe we show some grit and get a win, but the whole WF situation seems fucked right now.

Any chance our guys can go small and play their bigs off the floor? I feel better about a small ball lineup than I do about giving Keller big minutes.

That was my thought earlier. We have athleticism at the guard spot and Boopie can push the pace. MMM can run and Carr is mobile for a big. That approach probably maximizes having our best players on the floor.

I was thinking more about a Boopie, PFred, Cam, Sallis, MMM lineup when Carr is out of the game.

I realize I can't think of a game in which Wake went small and forced a better team to go small to match up.

I’m not sure what the ESPN Matchup Predictor is smoking giving Wake a 59.6% chance of winning, but pass it down.

If any of you folks going to Charleston are looking for a good place to eat, I can’t recommend Chubby Fish enough. Ate there last month and it was awesome.
Thanks for the restaurant tip.
Does anyone have any suggestion on parking close to the TD Arena?

Back