• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Pilchard

Reaction score

Depaul's last 4 games:

• Jan 9 Creighton: 58-84 L
  • Jan 12 @Villanova: 68-94 L
  • Jan 17 Providence: 62-100 L
  • Jan. 20 @Butler: 60-74 L
Depaul is ranked #279. The next worst team in a power conference is L'ville at #194, and Depaul somehow beat L'ville earlier in the year.

Josh Schertz will be coaching in a power conference next year. His three year turn-around at Indiana State has been incredible. The Sycamores lost everyone, including LaRavia, when Schertz was hired, and even before that, Indiana State has been mediorce or worse for a long time: 1 NCAAT appearence in 22 seasons. Also, he advocates playing up tempo.

This year, Larry Bird's alma mater is 16-3 (7-1) and they lead the Missouri Valley. Schertz came from D2, where he crushed it at that level. Schertz will get a better offer than Depaul.

Last edited:
DePaul is weird. Feels like they always have a coach that you know/recognize, but they haven't had a winning record in the Big East since 2007 and haven't made the NCAAs since 2004.

DePaul has had:
3 years of Tony Stubblefield
6 years of Dave Leitao
5 years of Oliver Purnell
5 years of Jerry Wainwright
3 years of Dave Leitao (1 NCAA)
5 years of Pat Kennedy (1 NCAA)

2 NCAAs since 1997

I don't think so, but I think Hurley leaving would be an attempt to land another job before he gets fired.

Like Mike White going to UGA from UF.

Hurley would make DePaul better, but doesn't feel like a ton of upside from that hire... Just prevents you from being LOL bad (sub-200 KP).

Well, at least OSU is consistent.

The first time Jim O'Brien went 2 years in a row without a NCAA bid, they moved on and got Thad Matta.
The first time Thad Matta went 2 years in a row without a NCAA bid, they moved on and got Chris Holtmann.
The first time Chris Holtmann went 2 years in a row without a NCAA bid, they moved on and got...

I could see OSU continuing its pilfering of UCLA by going after Mick Cronin. If the NIL situation at UCLA is as bad as it's rumored to be it can help explain the mediocre season they're having and Cronin maybe wanting out, besides also being an Ohio native.

I could see OSU continuing its pilfering of UCLA by going after Mick Cronin. If the NIL situation at UCLA is as bad as it's rumored to be it can help explain the mediocre season they're having and Cronin maybe wanting out, besides also being an Ohio native.
Good accelerated orientation for ucla. Welcome to the big 20, you're going to get fucked by ohio state, get used to it.

I don’t even like Ohio State but if they hire both of UCLA’s major program head coaches that would be God mode trolling.

Trilly Donovan had posted an article listing potential tOSU coaching hires and
Lots of WF connections... on his list

1. Pat Kelsey
2. Wes Miller (DR would need to approve Value City arena - it's technically on campus as the campus is massive, but its huge 19,000 seats, 10th biggest in the NCAA; you might lose your keys)
3. Will Wade (not really a WF connection, but he would win while embarrassing tOSU)
4. Darian DeVries (would not hire DeVries until he proves he coach a team to success when his son is not the best player)
5. Chris Mack (seems too toxic, but I'm sure he would dive on the offer)

Indiana State HC Josh Schertz will be coaching a power conference program next year; so, he has to be on the list. Also, tOSU has the money to go big. They could make an offer to Shaka (played college basketball in Ohio), TJ Otzelberger (Iowa State), Make Pope (BYU) or even Kelvin Sampson that their current school could not match. Will be interesting to follow with all of the subsequent dominoes.

If tOSU decides its worth it invest big in a coach, they can pluck a huge name, as mentioned above. Just depends on their priorities.

Trilly Donovan had posted an article listing potential tOSU coaching hires and
Lots of WF connections... on his list

1. Pat Kelsey
2. Wes Miller (DR would need to approve Value City arena - it's technically on campus as the campus is massive, but its huge 19,000 seats, 10th biggest in the NCAA; you might lose your keys)
3. Will Wade (not really a WF connection, but he would win while embarrassing tOSU)
4. Darian DeVries (would not hire DeVries until he proves he coach a team to success when his son is not the best player)
5. Chris Mack (seems too toxic, but I'm sure he would dive on the offer)

Indiana State HC Josh Schertz will be coaching a power conference program next year; so, he has to be on the list. Also, tOSU has the money to go big. They could make an offer to Shaka (played college basketball in Ohio), TJ Otzelberger (Iowa State), Make Pope (BYU) or even Kelvin Sampson that their current school could not match. Will be interesting to follow with all of the subsequent dominoes.
Wes is obviously too old now at 41. You get 9 more years outta Drew Valentine.

Knowing next to nothing about what is going on at Ohio State in terms of why the basketball team sucks... I agree that it seems more likely that they'd try to go big vs. anyone on that top 5 list.

In terms of Shaka... Seems like there would be some hesitation based on how he fared at Texas (a similarly giant state school). I mean, he wasn't bad at Texas... But he didn't exactly kill it.

Knowing next to nothing about what is going on at Ohio State in terms of why the basketball team sucks... I agree that it seems more likely that they'd try to go big vs. anyone on that top 5 list.

In terms of Shaka... Seems like there would be some hesitation based on how he fared at Texas (a similarly giant state school). I mean, he wasn't bad at Texas... But he didn't exactly kill it.
They have a chance to do the funniest thing and hire Thad Matta.

If I’m Shaka, why do I leave to enter basically the exact same shitty situation I was previously in.

Back