• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

We maybe could catch Wes or Pat if they get fired. If either gets fired, their next job will be on par with Wake.

That said, as much as I liked those guys in their 30s, getting them in their late 40s or early 50s is not as appetizing. All the greats were hired in their 30s. You can't have a 40 year run if you start at 52.
to clarify, do you think we would want to hire these guys who have failed at bigger "better" schools and somehow expect different results at wake? or are you thinking that somehow they'd have succeeded at wake but only failed because they went to these other schools, and so your opinion a decade ago was right (if not able to be proven?)

Yes, Dave Odom was a great hire. He was 46 years old. Knew the league. And was young, smart and hungry. I couldn't believe we ran him off.

Also Bones McKinney was hired at 38 years old to be the Wake coach.
well we weren't getting 40 years out of GDO since we hired him so late in life

i liked odom too, but to suggest that we should keep him is just revisionist history, and at the time was rightly derided as "LOWF syndrome."

A corpse could coach Duke... as proven by Duke basketball the previous handful of seasons before Scheyer was hired...

mqdefault.jpg

DR's shtick is really clever because he can't be wrong

there's no counterfactual where Wes Miller or Pat Kelsey is hired by a P5 program at 34 years old

We maybe could catch Wes or Pat if they get fired. If either gets fired, their next job will be on par with Wake.

That said, as much as I liked those guys in their 30s, getting them in their late 40s or early 50s is not as appetizing. All the greats were hired in their 30s. You can't have a 40 year run if you start at 52.

DR's Waifu College Basketball Coach theory has lost a lot of shine since Wes turned out to be a mediocre coach at the high major level.

I hope for good things for Pat at Louisville. He worked incredibly hard during his time in W-S....every time I saw him at the Bagel Station, he was on the lap time or designing inbound offense or defensive schemes.

Houston hired Kelvin Sampson when he was 58. They are 264-78. Over the past six years, the Cougars are 13-4 in the NCAAT, have a Final 4, an Elite 8 and have made at least the Sweet 16 every season there was an NCAAT. After Sampson turned 64, here is Houston's final rank each year:

• Age 64: #5
  • Age 65: #2
  • Age 66: #2
  • Age 67: #2
  • Age 68 (current): #2
Clearly, Houston would be better off with 30-something VT assistant Kevin Giltner as coach...

Houston hired Kelvin Sampson when he was 58. They are 264-78. Over the past six years, the Cougars are 13-4 in the NCAAT, have a Final 4, an Elite 8 and have made at least the Sweet 16 every season there was an NCAAT. After Sampson turned 64, here is Houston's final rank each year:

• Age 64: #5
  • Age 65: #2
  • Age 66: #2
  • Age 67: #2
  • Age 68 (current): #2
Clearly, Houston would be better off with VT assistant Kevin Giltner as coach...
Buddy, I don’t know if you understand how long 40 years is.

Talk to me in 2054 when Kelvin Sampson is 98 and winding down his career at Houston.

Or don't, because I might be dead by then.

i see wojo is no longer brought up in these convos anymore, i wonder why
lol

WF should hire Steve Wojciechowski as our next basketball coach & I believe he would take the job. Here’s why:

1) Private School experience. Wojo knows what it is like to operate in the environment of a small private school—something you hear so often these days as a key need for us.

2) ACC Pedigree. Does anyone really think the head coach at Lehigh or Ohio U or Richmond really has had more real world coaching experience than Wojo? No way. Wojo knows the day in day out of the ACC. You will no doubt hear “why would hire a Dukie.” Remember that the rules from the 90s just do not apply. Miami hired one of our assistants. Clemson hired VT’s coach. Maryland’s Mark Turgeon is likely to move within the ACC. This is a new age and conference realignment has changed the ‘old’ rules. But the ‘old’ rules really weren’t what you think anyway. Bones McKinney played at UNC. Vic Bubas played for NC State.

3) AGE. Wojo is 37 – the perfect age to build a program for the long haul at a place like ours. He understands the reality of technology and social media in today's world. We have to have that going forward. Clawson has shown us what that can do and we cannot afford to hire another old Coach that has never heard of twitter. We need someone who has staying power once they get this thing going. A 55 year old just doesn't have it. Such a hire is a 10 year at best proposition. We need to take a risk on a younger coach so that the payoff is there when it works.

4) Instant Credibility. Wojo has name recognition and he will immediately have credibility with recruits. When the Duke job comes open (a reality this decade), we will be able to compete with and even beat Duke for some players.

5) Class. Wojo has it. Chrissy Collins is a hot head. Wojo simply isn’t. He is well-spoken & can win press conferences. You remember him as the guy who slaps the floor. So what? He was doing what he was told. If you have followed him over the last 15 years, you really know how much of a better guy he is than the normal Duke tree (Collins, Snyder, etc.)

6) He would take the job & he would stay. Wojo has passed on many jobs before but this one would be different. Unlike most, he knows that Wake is a sleeping giant. He was on the Duke teams we used to beat around. Taking this one gives him a major job in the league and area he loves. It is a great chance to get right to it rather than take a mid-major or low BCS job and hope to come back one day. He knows he isn’t going to get the Duke job so this would be his chance to build his own thing. Once he comes here, Duke won’t offer him (they wouldn’t anyway). For him, this would be an end type job—unlike for league outsiders. Even if he thinks he could maybe get the job, a bird in the hand means something to a 37 year old. So does taking on the establishment & not waiting your turn. We literally could steal him right out from under Duke now even if he were to get the job in 7-8 years. If he would build this place over the next decade, only a Kentucky, Kansas, or UCLA type job could lure him away. If that happens because he is such a success, so what?

7) The Future. In 2020, Roy Williams, Coach K, Boeheim, & Pitino will be gone. We would have the senior statesman of the league with the most credibility and he would be 43 years old.

Believe it. Wojo is the man we need to be targeting.

Back